Joewr and Jellyfish Research

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not all pretty ones hurt

I have seen these fluoresence blue ones that look like they had neon lights in them were not stingers

Keralucu

Times that you needed a camera eh?

FK - I always wish I had a camera!

Well, Liquid, here is one of you favorite "teaching tools". . By the way did you know that there are processing plants in your part of the world for turning jellyfish in to food? I will let you guys figure out which food.

At any rate, here is the site:

http://www.metu.edu.tr/home/wwwdbe/kideys/rhop_foto.htm

Joewr...a member of the Jellyfish Are Your Friends Club.

On my first drift dive in the ocean i had the coolest experience. As we were getting to depth there were all these little jellyfish the size of pop cans.... there were litterly thousands. It was so alien it was amazing!!! What it reminded me of was all these little paratroopers just floating in mid air.

Here's something you might find interesting...

There are about 1100 or 1200 species of jellyfish, and only 2 of them are freshwater jellyfish.

Thurday nite I was diving in a local pond, and saw one of these species!! I have since found out that they are only around for a week or 2 each year, and they go dormant sometimes for many years.

There are 2 or 3 ponds or lakes around here with the freshwater jellys.

They don't sting, so if you want to see them next year, let me know and I'd be happy to go diving with you there!

Jack

You must get some pictures next time your you are diving and you see them.

I am shure many of us would like to see them too....

Thanks, Double D!

Just might take you up on that...but, first a key question: what is the water temp? Remember you are talking to a world class candy as_ diver!

Joewr

Hello,

Was it comb a jelly? The interesting thing about comb jellies is they are bioluminescence and they are non-toxic to humans.

Ed

Actually, Comb Jellies (Beroe) are not jellyfish at all: they are imposters...one of the things I learned this week while nursing my cold.

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom