Jon Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have another Jon Line related question.

The one I have is like a long dog leash. I loop it around the anchor line and clip it to itself and then hold on to the loop/handle at the other end. Should I be feeding it through the loop and using the clip on my chest D-ring?

You can secure the line to your harness d-ring (chest) for long stops or simply hold the hand loop in the case of yours for short stops.....remembering that if you let go of that handle in current you will now be drift diving! By clipping off you leave both hands free for managing/securing other gear as you prepare to leave the water at some point.

Depends what the "line" is. If its a fixed mooring you maybe ok.

If its a shot line or something that could get tangled or accidentally pulled to the surface you really dont want to be clipped to it.

If its a big permanent mooring with a concrete block and a buoy its not as much of an issue. Remember as well if clipped and a very strong current it can be difficult to release a clip under tension.

I have another Jon Line related question.

The one I have is like a long dog leash. I loop it around the anchor line and clip it to itself and then hold on to the loop/handle at the other end. Should I be feeding it through the loop and using the clip on my chest D-ring?

Completely up to you, and as was noted above, it's situation dependent.

Personally, I don't like the idea of being clipped into a line that isn't permanent, so I'd generally opt to hold it. But if the current is so strong that I wouldn't be able to swim against it if I accidentally let go, I suppose I'd clip in.

Large parts of this board suffer from over-zealous moderation which quite often eliminates counter-points which is a shame.

I think the problem is that the forum in question is improperly named. Based on content, it should be the GUE forum.

I think that problem is that the forum in question is improperly named. Based on content, it should be the GUE forum.

I mean more generally across all the areas here than just that one area. The "warm fuzzy" attitude thing quite often removes people providing counter arguments and dilutes detail and value.

The "warm fuzzy" attitude thing quite often removes people providing counter arguments and dilutes detail and value.

I suppose I agree to a point. Most moderation that I've seen is the censorship of personal squabbles. However, it does often seem that when discussions take any sort of turn from 'rec agency party line', they're moved to "Advanced Scuba Discussions."

I suppose I agree to a point. Most moderation that I've seen is the censorship of personal squabbles. However, it does often seem that when discussions take any sort of turn from 'rec agency party line', they're moved to "Advanced Scuba Discussions."

In the Basic Scuba Discussion area, they (the mods) now want it to be a nice warm and friendly area.

So if you have an opposing view, it is labeled trolling and censored. This is not a democracy or an area of free speech. You have to get used to it.

I think the problem is that the forum in question is improperly named. Based on content, it should be the GUE forum.

I disagree.

plus, I disagree with how the DIR forum is moderated. But my opinion wasn't worth much. I only lasted a month as a DIR Group leader. LOL

Do like I did several years ago as a 'rebel' in the DIR sub-forum.....kept stepping on the groupies toes and got banded....best thing that has ever happened to me here on SB.....never have cared to get back in-- :rofl3:

Personally, I don't like the idea of being clipped into a line that isn't permanent, so I'd generally opt to hold it. But if the current is so strong that I wouldn't be able to swim against it if I accidentally let go, I suppose I'd clip in.

The problem with attaching yourself to the line is that if the line parts you will be pulled to the surface by the boat before you have a chance to detach yourself from the line. Here in the Great Lakes, the same kind of weather that produces strong currents also produces steep waves. It is not unusual for a 5/8" or 3/4" line to break under the load of holding a larger boat against significant waves. Personally, I would much rather be able to just let go and do a drift deco than be pulled to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom