Jon Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option is to slip the loop over your wrist. The angle of the line will keep it securely on your wrist, and you can let go very easily.

I suppose I agree to a point. Most moderation that I've seen is the censorship of personal squabbles. However, it does often seem that when discussions take any sort of turn from 'rec agency party line', they're moved to "Advanced Scuba Discussions."

I never see any of the arguments against GUE protocol moved, they are just erased. The big problem I have is that so many new divers take that stuff for gospel without having the experience or information to know otherwise. Then they are the ones that just regurgitate it all over the other forums. If they understood the issue, heard all arguments for different protocols and arrive at the GUE solution on their own, then that's great. More power too them. But to censor any non-GUE information our of the argument is ridiculous. And if anything, is just erodes the credibility of the system. If the solution can't stand on its own in the face of other arguments, then you can't label it as "optimal".

If the solution can't stand on its own in the face of other arguments, then you can't label it as "optimal".
#1....Its not meant to be "optimal" when looking at individual procedures.

Its only "optimal" within the entire system.

Another option is to slip the loop over your wrist. The angle of the line will keep it securely on your wrist, and you can let go very easily.

In lt. current this is a good way.

Just DON'T do like I did in the GoM on a rig dive once,,,,bumble around and drop the dang J-Line prior to deploying it......I am sure it landed on some more fish several hundred feet below and to this day I am sure that fish suffers mental stress!

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link :)

A System vs a hodge podge collection. A weak chain is stronger than silly string. :wink:

It is perfectly okay to have differing points of view in the vast majority of forums, so long as those different points of view are voiced politely.

A few forums are restricted, like the solo diving forum and the DIR Practitioners forum.

I don't know about anybody else (although from the moderation, I'm not alone) but the purpose of the two DIR forums was subtle enough to elude me.

I don't know about anybody else (although from the moderation, I'm not alone) but the purpose of the two DIR forums was subtle enough to elude me.
You are not the only one.

Their use is for when the line is jerking around and for when you are in a current on a fixed mooring or anchor line. Holding a line in current should be self explanatory, but there other use is for when anytime the boat bouncing enough that your stay on the line is difficult and that anything can be a swells, chop, waves, change in the wind against the tide, etc.

The Jon lines that I make are cheap 3 strand nylon rope of Ž¼" or 5/16". I put in an eye slice at each end that is big enough so that my hand and arm can fit through it. This way I can move the line to my upper arm to relax my hand and get the pressure off of my wrist. It also lets me use both hands freely at the same time.

The total length of the line is about 6 feet and I have two on me. One is under the pad that I have on my right shoulder strap. If I need it, I just use a finger to pull it out. The other is wrapped around my lift bag which is in my left hip pocket or in a wreck/goody bag and is normally used as a rigging line.

If needed I can loop both together and be 12 feet off the line and I keep them cheap so that I can abandoned them if I need to. I have also been seen with one going from the left to the right chest D-rings with the other attached going from the first to the anchor line. Lets you put out your hands to the side and "Fly" in the current with no effort at all kind of like being on the back of a ski boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom