Jon Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who said anything about a hodge-podge collection? "A" system is the important thing, not "the" system.

You can make a "System" out of hodge-podge collection just by giving it context and a name. Lets say...NE Wreck divers configuration.

Their use is for when the line is jerking around and for when you are in a current on a fixed mooring or anchor line. Holding a line in current should be self explanatory, but there other use is for when anytime the boat bouncing enough that your stay on the line is difficult and that anything can be a swells, chop, waves, change in the wind against the tide, etc.

Current only.

If there is not current, there is no need to hold onto the anchor line. You are not going anywhere. Who gives a rats a$$ if the line goes up and down.

It is perfectly okay to have differing points of view in the vast majority of forums, so long as those different points of view are voiced politely.

A few forums are restricted, like the solo diving forum and the DIR Practitioners forum.

I don't know about anybody else (although from the moderation, I'm not alone) but the purpose of the two DIR forums was subtle enough to elude me.

Not to dwell on this, but there are a few of the more prominent practicioners in the general forum that are anything BUT polite. Yet any opposing views are erased, and there behavior remains unchecked both in and outside of those forums. Double standard, maybe? If the purpose of the forums is to be DIR-only, fine. Make them both opt-in. But the fact that there is so much interest around debating acceptable protocols suggests that there should be forum to do so, and it should be moderated by a neutral party.

Not to dwell on this, but there are a few of the more prominent practicioners in the general forum that are anything BUT polite. Yet any opposing views are erased, and there behavior remains unchecked both in and outside of those forums. Double standard, maybe? If the purpose of the forums is to be DIR-only, fine. Make them both opt-in. But the fact that there is so much interest around debating acceptable protocols suggests that there should be forum to do so, and it should be moderated by a neutral party.

....:rofl3:....I see things over in that crazy place have not changed a bit---never will either.

....:rofl3:....I see things over in that crazy place have not changed a bit---never will either.

Actually. Its been slower than slow over there. Saw a couple of threads in the last week or so, but that been the first action in months.

All I know is that I'm way too intimidated to post in the DIRPF. Besides, it's kind of a ghost town.

"I don't know about anybody else (although from the moderation, I'm not alone) but the purpose of the two DIR forums was subtle enough to elude me."
[hijack=On]The purpose of having two DIR forums was actually fairly simple.

Those true believers who wanted to debate fine distinctions and protocols, whether promulgated from other boards or WKPP or wherever, grew weary of having the debate endlessly interrupted by atheists lobbing disbelief bombs and skepticism grenades into every discussion. They sought an opt-in forum where the matter could be discussed by (only) those of a similar philosophy who were interested in discussing it.

On the other hand, it was also deemed constructive - if predictably disruptive - to have a forum in which DIR topics could be questioned by those new to the concepts where answers could be provided, and those who thought the entire system was unhinged could lob grenades to their hearts' content.

So...two forums were duly created. It hasn't always worked as envisioned, but that was the original rationale.

Appropo of nothing having anything to do with jon lines... :wink: [/hijack=Off]

I attach my jon line to my scooter, which is in turn attached to the crotch D-ring. The dog-leash loop goes around the anchor line. The other end attaches to the scooter. Keeps hands free, which comes in handy for gas switches and stowing bottles, etc.

Whatever pulls your trigger...

Doc

I attach my jon line to my scooter, which is in turn attached to the crotch D-ring. Keeps hands free, which comes in handy for gas switches and stowing bottles, etc.

Doc

So does that mean jon lines are DIR? If so, I think someone needs to send a memo because there seems to be a lot of confusion on the topic.

I attach my jon line to my scooter, which is in turn attached to the crotch D-ring. The dog-leash loop goes around the anchor line. The other end attaches to the scooter. Keeps hands free, which comes in handy for gas switches and stowing bottles, etc.

Doc

The crotch ring is the one spot I would not wish to secure a j-line from. But like you say..... "Whatever pulls your trigger..."

So does that mean jon lines are DIR? If so, I think someone needs to send a memo because there seems to be a lot of confusion on the topic.

I think he was facetiously calling the tow cord a "jon line."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom