Jon Lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo, try using a rock climbing daisy chain, it will allow you to vary the length as you like, with a variety of positions to put the snapshackle .
Try a small water bottle sleeve with a drawstring, to stuff the strap into.

Bombay High: I’m not sure I need as much adjustment range as a climber’s daisy chain provides, but a sewn loop in the webbing would be more compact than a stainless D-ring. I will try that when I sew up a prototype.

I will play with the water bottle sleeve idea, but my neighbor’s reef hook isn’t bad — especially with webbing rather than small line. Have you used this concept before? I have used a small mesh game bag for 200' of ½" double-braid and it was OK but required shoving loops of line to the very bottom to prevent a rat’s nest.

On the rare occasions when I need one, I use a 1" webbing Jon line with a fabric flap near one end of the line. It's just like the velcroed flap on the handles of a a duffle bag and is designed to wrap around the folded Jon line and secure to itself with Velcro to hold the line and hook in a compact, easy to deploy package.

You can stow it in a pocket during the dive and then clip the boltsnap on the end to a D-ring on ascent when preparing to deploy it.

How long are most of the lines on your Jon?

Purchased in Canada - source of all Jon items....:)

M

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 218
1/4" nylon rope @$0.25/foot - learn to eye splice, takes about 10 minutes to make up a Jon line of any length with an eye splice in both ends. If needed, because of surface conditions etc., abandon it and get on the boat.

Or, help clean up the bottom and recover some suitable sized line from a wreck etc. and make up a few jon lines on the ride back in. Hand out the ones you don't need to the other divers and make some friends.

I have one 6' line wrapped around a 50# bag in my left hip pocket and another under my right shoulder strap pad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom