June 18-30 Cozumel Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDown:

Again, exellent report. Great pics. Keep 'em coming.
A few questions,
"At Santa Rosa the current started north to south which they said is backward, then after it was just em and the DM it switched and started going south to north."

"The current was probably 10-15 mph and about 1000 pounds into the dive visibility dropped to 10-15 feet so the dm aborted the dive."

Now I'm starting to worry. I've never experienced the current changes direction like that, esp during the same dive time frame. That can't be normal (or possible?).
Also, I've never seen visibility go below 50' in daylight Cozumel, much less 10 - 15ft.
I'll be really scared when you next tells us that someone caught the swine flu while diving...

For the massages, "It was $20 for 1/2 hour, or they gave a discount of $40 for an hour AND since we both got a massage it was only $80."
Sorry for my public school math, but where's the discount?

Lastly, what up with all the protein shakes for breakfast?

Now I'm starting to worry. I've never experienced the current changes direction like that, esp during the same dive time frame. That can't be normal (or possible?).
Also, I've never seen visibility go below 50' in daylight Cozumel, much less 10 - 15f.
You're kidding, right? 2,000+ dives and you post that? The North Atlantic Subtropical Gyre current circles the north ocean and passes around Cozumel, generally south to north, but with eddies that will seem like reverse currents, down currents, intersecting, etc. Surely you've dive worse, and surely you knew all that?

I did not read all of the above, was having too much trouble with the oversized pics so I shut up when someone called me Harsh, but viz can vary especially when currents change and cross.

DiverDown:

Again, exellent report. Great pics. Keep 'em coming.
A few questions,
"At Santa Rosa the current started north to south which they said is backward, then after it was just em and the DM it switched and started going south to north."

"The current was probably 10-15 mph and about 1000 pounds into the dive visibility dropped to 10-15 feet so the dm aborted the dive."

It is not that unusual. The prevailing current in the channel between Cozumel and the Yucatan is southwest to northeast, but it interacts with the coastline of the island to form eddy currents which locally can result in the current running the "wrong" direction. These eddies move around, so any particular location can experience a fairly quick change in flow direction as one of them comes by.

On a night dive on Paradise reef a couple of years ago, the current was so crazy that we passed the same big moray under the same coral head four or five times from a different direction every time.

HoustonDiver8:

Not at all! I had to consult my dive log becasue this sounded familar... September 20, 2007 we experienced the same thing on the same site. For us, the bad viz was due to the shifting currents blowing sand all around... we didn't thumb the dive but it was short and exhausting.

Another time, we planned to dive Delilah but ended up doing La Francesca because of the a-typical current flow unbeknownst to the captain or DM.

DiverDown:

For the massages, "It was $20 for 1/2 hour, or they gave a discount of $40 for an hour AND since we both got a massage it was only $80."
Sorry for my public school math, but where's the discount?

Lastly, what up with all the protein shakes for breakfast?

About the massage prices that was a little sarcasm, I have never seen a place that gave the same per minute price regardless of length.

We have been on a diet since January the wife lost 40 pounds and I lost 20 and 7 percent body fat. The protein shakes for breakfast are a major part of that.

according to Sergio our DM The summer and winter solstices are particularly bad for currents switching, fast currents and poor visibility. I don't have any facts to back this up but he has been diving here for 30+ years so I will take his word for it.

Being here in Cozumel...I too have noticed current changes and poor visibility...but only briefly. Seems to be a lot of "stuff" stirred up from the bottom. But, visibility is still good. It has been overcast for a few days. Today, however, was GORGEOUS with visibility as far as eye can see and the COZUMEL style diving that we all love. Palancar exceptional. Saw eels swimming for a good 10 minutes...staying around our group. Amazing. One eel just hung with us swimming. Not trying to hide. And NO I do not have pictures. My camera battery is lasting a day if I am lucky...and it is new. Went dead on my first dive today.

I also, want the red filter now for my camera. Darn it.

As for the currents. A cute couple from Sacramento did the "lighthouse drift" to SCC two days ago. They said it was the WORST experience of their life. Turns out, the current was not cooperating from South to North. Sure enough it was going North to South. Took them 3000PSI fighting like hell to get back to SCC. You could throw a rock to the Lighthouse from SCC so not a long trip. Everyone is so busy touting this drift dive...no one suspects that the current does change. Looking at the floating buoy markers on a line in the water, yep, indeed they were being blown NORTH to SOUTH and not their usual way. Be forwarned.

I bet the solstices could play into that. Full moons can too, altho that doesn't apply now.

Was wondering why he was scared tho?

Yeah the reverse current happens more close to shore. If you get caught in a reverse and go the wrong way from your hotel, hail a cab and pay the going rate. He'll wait for you to retrieve money from your rooms. :D

I bet the solstices could play into that. Full moons can too, altho that doesn't apply now.

Was wondering why he was scared tho?

Yeah the reverse current happens more close to shore. If you get caught in a reverse and go the wrong way from your hotel, hail a cab and pay the going rate. He'll wait for you to retrieve money from your rooms. :D

Who are you wondering was so scared? Did I miss something?
:confused:

Who are you wondering was so scared? Did I miss something?
:confused:
Sorry, the word was "worry"...
Also, I've never seen visibility go below 50' in daylight Cozumel, much less 10 - 15ft.
You're kidding, right? 2,000+ dives and you post that?
But then, the typed word often is misunderstood when chatting casually in font here, I know all too well. Maybe he didn't mean it like I took it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom