June 18-30 Cozumel Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 6

Wohooo!!! I slept all the way to 4:30. Worked on the TR and read while waiting for the wife. Got up and walked to the dive shop, found out that he dive we had reserved with only 4 other people has filled up and we now have 14 plus 3 dm on the boat. On my video housing I had already determined that I needed through bolts for the clasp catches for additional strength then on the way to the boat one of the catches popped off when the screw pulled free. So no video today after all the searching for a filter yesterday. Fortunately I have a spare housing back at the room but is a opaque tube instead of clear and it is untested for water tightness. The dms were impressed with my red filter and were planning to pick up a plastic bowl to make one themselves.

We were on the Anita
DSCF0204.jpg

which is a decent size boat and fits all comfortably and had lots of shade. While diving we were split into 2 groups dropped at the same site but quite a distance apart. We did Palancar horseshoe and San Francisco reef. Perfect dives today. Visibility was 100 plus current was barely there just enough to make swimming easy but not enough to push you off of a photo shot. I absolutely loved horseshoe and a would love to go back. We didn't see a lot of sea life but the formations were gorgeous. San Francisco was nice but much more life but not a lot of real nice formations. The other group saw a splendid toad fish which would have been cool.
DSCF0112.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0137.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

My computer died on me, no problem I keep spare 2032 and 2025 batteries, Open it up and its a 2045, dammit Jim. Had to stick to the wife. And use her computer. At one point I was taking a picture of a anemone against a real pretty backdrop and the dm came over and chastised me cause I was drifting to deep.

The only point the boat felt crowded was during the surface interval feeding frenzy . The table was set in a corner so you could only get to it from 2 sides. Fortunately the wife got food for me because I don't like crowds.
P6220082.jpg

Back to the hotel where we fix the spare housing so the screws can't pull out (hopefully) download our pics and take a short nap. Walked downtown with a stop to watch the sunset.
DSCF0215.jpg

DSCF0223.jpg

Then it is off to dinner at Casa Denis (which we have been told is pronounced Dennys). We went way overboard on food here. They start you off with chips and pico de gallo that the waiter was saying was spicy. After joking around with him a little he brought out the good stuff made with habenero chiles. Wow, it was hot but had great flavor.
P6230127.jpg

P6230125.jpg

The wife liked the sound of lime soup which she pictured as a chilled creamy fruit soup like a strawberry bisque. So she ordered that the garlic grouper an order of guacamole and I had the ranch combo platter. When we received the soup it was a large bowl of chicken in broth. The soup was delicious.
P6230126.jpg

This by itself would make a nice lunch time meal. The garlic grouper was great. My food was ok very similar to what I can find back home and not something I would order again. We met “MrAdrian” and his wife from the trip adviser forum at dinner. We both walked away stuffed and had to skip our by now traditional ice cream cone.
P6230128.jpg

P6230129.jpg

P6230131.jpg

On the way home we stopped at mega looking for a 2045 battery no luck. But we saw guy wearing a dive t shirt speaking Spanish so we stopped him and asked about the battery he recommended pro dive or the Kodak store, which everybody calls omega.

Back to the hotel were we got to bed around 11 then up at 3:30 to start on the trip report.

DiverDownAZ:
The other group saw a splendid toad fish which would have been cool.

Are you diving with your eyes closed? :wink: Tell your DM to find you one, I guarantee you'll see one on your next dive. When you see it, pay close attention to it's habitat and surrounding area so that you'll know where to look to find them in the future.

Have a great day in Cozumel today!

You can tease them out of their little caves with dive light, just barely long enough for the other diver to shoot the pic, if that doesn't sound like harassment. I could never do both. I like hearing them croak on sundown dives. They can get noisy...!

Have seen two splendid toad fish so far. Today one was at Via Blanca. The other day there was one at Paradise. Also, the currents are almost circular, causing lots of sandy debris lowering visibility. And no shortage of divers under the water. Like a cattle line on Santa Rosa today. Went to 103 feet and the non- bottom just keeps on going down the wall. Like Palancar yesterday. Woo hoo. Leaving now for C53.

Mary

Congrats on losing all that weight!!!
Very impressive.

I'm trying to losing about 10 lbs myself, so we can gorge on the All Inclusive buffets while at the hotel later this wk. Been also taking protein shakes for breakfast, before & after workouts & before bed. But may just replace those w/ guacamole & more guacamole while down there...

"You're kidding, right? 2,000+ dives and you post that? The North Atlantic Subtropical Gyre current circles the north ocean and passes around Cozumel, generally south to north, but with eddies that will seem like reverse currents, down currents, intersecting, etc. Surely you've dive worse, and surely you knew all that? "

Dang, that was Harsh!
After 4 yrs in college & 9 yrs in the Navy, I never knew what "The North Atlantic Subtropical Gyre current......." is & how it affected my diving in Cozumel. Maybe I should go back to school to learn all that stuff before I head down to relax & dive while on vacation. Maybe Cozumel is a little too complicated a place for me to dive, maybe I should go to an easier, more elementary place to do my diving. I should just go back to diving the Pacific, Arctic & Bering Sea, where it's to damn freezing cold that I don't have time to worry about the gyres, the eddies, & the reverse & intersecting currents...

Check the gift shop at Hotel Cozumel or Dive Paradise across the street for your batteries. We have had good luck buying them there before.

You are awesome. They had a good selection of batteries at dive paradise including a 2450 they wanted $12us for it but beggers cant be chosey.

Diver Down,

Do you remember exactly where the monkey was at the outdoor shop? And did he seem unhappy suspended like that? I LOVE monkeys and am fascinated with them. I would like to visit him...but not if he seems like an unhappy captive. I walk by Dolphinaris every day and get sad for the small pens the dolphins are relagated to.

Thanks in advance,
Mary

Back
Top Bottom