June shore diving in Corolla (any info?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowtie22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Myself and a few buddies are going to be in Corolla, NC for a few days in June and wanted to know if anyone has any tips on shore diving this area. We are staying in a beach house with Ocean front shore access. I only have 2 days here and I wanted to get in about 4 or 5 dives before I have to come back....What is the average water temp for this time of the year? What type of depths in this area? How good is the visibility? Are there any wrecks around here? What type of currents and surf can we expect?

Any additional information you can give is more than I have right now.

Is there anywhere that we can get some air fills around this area?

James

Here is the link to mapquest.... This is the area that we will be doing our dives:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...Corolla&state=NC&zipcode=27927&searchtab=home

Go to http://www.obxdive.com/ and click the "Nags Head Wrecks" link on the left. This will list several sites north of Oregon Inlet that are diveable from shore. I have also heard that some of these can be very tricky and require local advice.

I've dove the Huron in Nags Head lots of times. I try to go between tides when the tide is getting ready to change from low to high. Then you can ride the tide back in to shore after the dive. Its a long surface swim so you need to be in pretty good shape. The best vis is on a N or NE wind.
I'm not telling you that you should do this but I never go into the water with my fins on, backing in like the books tell you. I almost got beat to death by the waves the first couple of times I tried that. I always make sure the BC is totally deflated with my fins securely in my hand, time the wave sets, wait for the lul and wade out past the breakers as quick as possible, then put the fins on.

Thanks for the info that everyone has given me on the area. What is the vis usually like here?

Does anyone have a link to the June tide predictions for Corolla? I can't seem to find them anywhere on the net.

Thanks again,
James

Thanks for the tide info!!!! That will make things a lot easier....

I just got a 3 man zodiac raft that I am going to be using while I am here so I can move around a little easier without having to fight the surf.... What depths can I expect around this area between 100 - 500 yards offshore?

Thanks!

The "Tri Wrecks" is about 100 yards off shore. "IF" I remember right it was maybe 20-35 feet. Vis was decent when I dove it. maybe 30-50 feet vis.

BTW... you're gonna have fun with that Zodiac in the shore waves there.

Thanks for the info....... Hopefully the vis will be that good when I get down there on the 14th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom