Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice. I was out the day before on a private boat lobstering, water temp 75 and vis 50ft. We limited 6 divers on lobster, good times. BTW: It was freezing out of the water, even with a lava core vest, sharkskin jacket, and 3mm wetsuit.

I finished the year with 115 dives, all in FL except the 19 in Bonaire.
Our dive stats are almost identical. My only non-FL dives were in Bonaire as well.

For all the South-FL diving we’ve done, I’m surprised we haven’t run in to each other. Or, maybe we have and didn’t realize it. Either way we should change that this year!

Back 15yrs ago, there a couple of girls who dove 'low & slow' with us. Every dive they would come up with slippers and spanish lobsters. So often these 2 types are upside down gripping the top of ledge or rock hole and they are so well camouflaged / still , that it's really hard to spot them if drift diving. About the only time I can spot them is right at sunrise and shining my light so their eyes glow. So few are caught they are almost unregulated by the FWC (except eggers) and you can catch them even during closed regular bug season.
I saw a spanish lobster at LBTS a few weeks ago too. It was already missing its antennae. Unfortunately, I didn't put the energy into catching it because it was small. Afterwards, my buddy says they are all that size. So, I definitely caught the one I saw in Jupiter.

Our dive stats are almost identical. My only non-FL dives were in Bonaire as well.

For all the South-FL diving we’ve done, I’m surprised we haven’t run in to each other. Or, maybe we have and didn’t realize it. Either way we should change that this year!
Absolutely. I ran into @Johnoly a month back on JDC. I was diving with @Divin'Papaw that morning.

I got out with Jupiter Dive Center last week -- two years in a row without getting blown out! Great couple of dives -- the big surprise was a sailfish swimming by. Lemon sharks -- including one that paid a close up visit on a safety stop, goliath grouper, a huge loggerhead turtle, and some big nurse sharks. Lots of fun. I only get to do it once a year, but some of my favorite dives have been in Jupiter.

We are travelling but I understand there is a sawfish dive taking place on the 16th with the jupiter dive center. No guarantees of course, but perhaps something special if you are here next week (and weather permits)

Have anyone seen one, Sawfish, I meant?

I think @scubadada & I tried once and saw none.

I heard they are getting more Sawfish in Everglades. A fellow diver from Germany saw a sign there to be careful wading in the water. Your leg may get sawed.

Fortunately these dogs got lucky.

YES & in Jupiter...Several times & usually 4-6.

There is a secret spot that a couple of commercial guys know that is a known mating spot. The peak time is coming up that matches the annual 5 degree bump up in bottom temperatures that happens 3rd - 4th week of April. Politely>No I'm not giving you the numbers & no I'm not taking you there. There is one hand shark feeding operation in Jupiter that does know the spot. But you won't get on the boat unless the captain personally knows you (& no phones/cam GPS's on boat). You can always try Loran tower reef which will sometimes contain them, but viz its like a roll of the dice.

I think @scubadada & I tried once and saw none.

I heard they are getting more Sawfish in Everglades. A fellow diver from Germany saw a sign there to be careful wading in the water. Your leg may get sawed.

Fortunately these dogs got lucky.

Fishing the shallows of Rabbit Key Basin in Florida Bay early morning hours..... just about a sure thing. Water depth is less than 3 feet and usually crystal clear.

Fishing the shallows of Rabbit Key Basin in Florida Bay early morning hours..... just about a sure thing. Water depth is less than 3 feet and usually crystal clear.

Thanks for the tips.

I haven’t seen Sawfish in the wild. It would be a thrill to see one.

It's been a while, but I've seen them at the bridge before. Nothing that large though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom