Just earned my open water dive certification.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't bring this up to the instructor later but I wonder why we didn't descend and swim underwater towards boat? The other diver was starting to do that, and my instinct told me to do that, but the instructor wanted us to stay....so we did.

First congrats on your certification. The underwater world is where God shows off and even after my 40 years of diving I'm still amazed at the oceans beauty.

As for surfacing and letting the boat come get you. That was the right call by my instructor. You indicated that the current kept pushing you away from the boat and you couldn't make headway. So many divers would have done just what you said, descended and try to fight against the current. This can lead to a bad ending such as, using more air because you're working harder and now there is the possibility of running out or becoming to stressed out due to exertion which could lead to heart problems. My instructors main concern was your safety and as these were your first 4 open water dives, there is no sense in pushing that window of safety.

I tell my students and other divers to, "Use your head and not your back." Think about what you going to do before you do it will most of the time keep you out of trouble.

We look forward having you back down to continue your diving adventures and we're happy you had a great / safe dive.

Good Diving

First congrats on your certification. The underwater world is where God shows off and even after my 40 years of diving I'm still amazed at the oceans beauty.

As for surfacing and letting the boat come get you. That was the right call by my instructor. You indicated that the current kept pushing you away from the boat and you couldn't make headway. So many divers would have done just what you said, descended and try to fight against the current. This can lead to a bad ending such as, using more air because you're working harder and now there is the possibility of running out or becoming to stressed out due to exertion which could lead to heart problems. My instructors main concern was your safety and as these were your first 4 open water dives, there is no sense in pushing that window of safety.

I tell my students and other divers to, "Use your head and not your back." Think about what you going to do before you do it will most of the time keep you out of trouble.

We look forward having you back down to continue your diving adventures and we're happy you had a great / safe dive.

Good Diving
What a great answer!!! Sounds like you guys run a great program down there. If I'm ever down in your neck off the woods, I'll come and look up your outfit!

Hey Capt Gary...I did not question my instructor, and myself and the other gentleman with us, (he wasn't a student), for sure stayed with Kelli. But later I reflected on what the 'manual said'....so I wondered later about it. If I had more time I would've stopped by the shop to ask person to person but I flew out early early monday morning.

I was also thinking that Kelli was conserving our air and energy....As I said, I was curious as to why we didn't go that route...you gave an excellent answer. And Kelli was calm and cool during the whole time out there. I was a BIT worried at the end, haha, but not too much.

Kelli is an excellent instructor and very professional. She for sure has a business hat on for the instruction part of our dives. She took it off on the way back after my 4th dive and we were chit chatting.

Both of the Capts, (I can't recall their names)...were equally professional and knew the dive sites like the back of their hands.

I will get on Tripadvisor and give you guys much deserved props.

Thanks for the great experience and I will for sure use you guys in the very near future.

Let the adventure begin!

One of the most beautiful things about diving is that is seems there are infinte challenges available. And they are physical, congnitive and emotional all at once. Keep training and keep diving and you'll keep that feeling!

Thanks BD....Tmac, you live in VA and I in MD...I have so many friends who are divers, (most I found out after they heard me say I was going for my OW certification. Seems almost all of the folks who have had their OW cert for years never dive, ever. Only the ones that have had it for a year or less continue to dive. I know living in an area such as ours isn't conducive for year round diving but most of my friends are like me and work for the airlines and fly free....Luckily my fiance has recently become PADI certified two weeks ago in the Philippines and she is stoked to dive, so we have built in dive buddy's, which helps, I hope, haha.

Back
Top Bottom