Just got bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D I wasn't around for the start of this discussion, but would like to add two things.

(1) Keilidh, don't feel bad about not wanting to believe that you were "hit". Denial is a very natural response as a part of the psychological process. It is something that all of us must struggle against. I am very glad that you have gotten good advise, and accepted it. I'm very glad that you are on the road to recovery!

(2) A hearty "well-done" to all who contributed! Your advise was pretty much "spot on"!:thumb:

Falcon99 once bubbled...
I think there is another important lesson in here - how to effectively deal with ignorance in the medical system. Other posts have detailed similar stories, all along the lines of "It's not DCS, It's congestion/angina/upset stomach/ (insert anything but DCS in here)" from the emergency room after sitting for hours while damage is being done.

The winning plan IS to take some specific notes when you talk to DAN, or are lucky enough to get your doctor. Write down NAMES, PHONE NUMBERS, AND EXACT MEDICAL TERMS USED. Educate yourself on the diagnosis and treatment process. I'm not advocating playing doctor, just recommending being a MUCH more direct with medical personnel. Remind them what doctor told you to come in, what it was for, and have his phone number handy. Ask for 100% O2 because it is a time-critical necessity. They aren't morons, just uninformed and unfamiliar with something like this. Eventually, an informed person usually appears, and gets you taken care of. The challenge is getting to that person BEFORE major damage occurs.

The sad truth here is that YOU are becoming more and more responsible for ensuring quality care as a patient. I think, in this type of situation, a tradeoff of "making some noise" HIGHLY outweighs the end results of being quiet. That's what all the DCS training was for, right?

Keilidh, I am VERY glad everything turned out OK. It's a good reminder of the no-fly importance!

James

:( I have repeated Falcon99's comments here because they are not only too true, but should stand as a cautionary note, and a procedural guide, to all of us. Don't give up your vigilance, or let the system sweep you aside if you are aiding another diver in distress.

In my DMT training at UTMB Galveston, Dr. Richard Mader, a noted researcher in the field who directed the program, stated: "The average physician, especially those in ER's, knows little or nothing about DCS problems because his or her training includes only a brief and superficial coverage, if any! You must refer to a physician who has knowledge of diving and its attendant problems."

If it takes "making a little noise" as Falcon points out, to get the right result, so be it! To paraphrase what Mr. Natural used to say:
"Get the right attitude for the job, kids!":doctor:

Glad you're doing ok now:) . Thx for sharing such invaluable piece of information.
The lesson is there, now it's our choice to learn from it.

DSD,

I don't think another neurological field test is required. As you say, the problem is mainly denial. Many recreational divers with possible DCS in its very mild form, are on their way driving home, flying home, or having a couple of beers (not recommended).

What we need, IMHO, is that Instructors, at any level, in their lectures, highlight the "denial" syndrome and also the fact that ignoring even the most mild DCS symptoms, can lead to later worsening symptoms, and/or long-term disability. And that breathing 100% O2, seeing a physician, and possibly visiting a chamber, in that order, are absolutely mandatory to avoid injury.

Due to the problems noted in prevous posts, including the reportee's, I must strongly restate what does not seem to be obvious.

Call DAN, and/or find a physician who KNOWS DIVING MEDICINE! If you do not, you are, as they say, in for a world of HURT!!:wacko:

I'm not sure if it was the Uwatec nitrox, but I do remember reading about one nitrox computer that had an issue where it would run your surface interval profile assuming that you were still breathing the nitrox mix you did the last dive on.

The result was very short minimum surface interval values and also very short no-fly times on the display. This would make repetetive dives calculate incorrectly due to the computer not keeping enough residual nitrogen load in teh model to start the next dive.

Several people were injured by that computer.

I'll try to see if I can find the reference material and post it later when I get home from work.
A good rule of thumb is "if it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't...". Always doublecheck your figures. Preferably use at least 2 different methods to do so.

Dive save.

Keilidh,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was thinking of going diving the day before flying out on my last vacation to Florida. The only thing that really stopped me was the crappy weather. After reading about your ordeal, I don't think I'll fly for at least 24 hours after diving from now on.
Don't beat yourself up over the decisions that you made at the time. Hind sight is 20/20!
I'm gald to hear that you are recovering well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom