Just got bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blacknet...

My apologies for not including an outline of the exam in my original post, my time at this key board is limited most days.

I've described this procedure in detail. It can be found in the "Diving Medicine" section.

Regards,
D.S.D.

Dear all....

Just an update to all of you about my bends. I took your advice and got my hospital to refer me the Navy's hospital (300 miles away).

I found a chamber that accommodates 6 divers and 2 tenders. There is a larger one that can have 19 divers!!!

They immediately got me on US Navy T-Table 6, for a couple of days. My symptoms have nearly fully resolved. They are really experienced and have lotsa cases. Last month they made an American instructor spend two days in the chamber (it has a toilet), he was nearly dead since he missed all his deco stops, was unconcious for a few hours.

I still have some pain in my calfs (like being over-exercised). The doc says it may be fibrosis because of oxygen deprivation. New muscle tissue should replace the damaged tissue. He cleared me to dive after 4 weeks.

I just wish to thank all of those who participated.

Special thanks to liquid, blacknet, DeepSeaDan and LesleyDSO. Without your valuable input in this forum, I would have further neglected my injury and continued to get improper treatment at the KFS hospital.

Thanks again, you really made all the difference!!!! :)

Hello,

I'm glad you took the info and went to a different chamber. As you can now see dci is nothing to take lightly. O2 starvation is also nothing to take lightly nor the damages that results. There's many post dci issues that come up you should address. I'm just glad that you did seek treatment and found a chamber that's worth going to.

Treatment table 6 is a good table and here in the US if you even look at the doctor funny you'll get a table 6. Personally I'd rather see a Dr. that hyperinflates things than under inflates things. Also you'll find that the new facility probably knows more about hyperbarics than that other place does. When in doubt seek DAN's help.

Ed

Keildh,

I'm happy you'r ok, and that you will be able to dive again soon. It was a wise decision on your behalf to change hospitals.

Hope you can enjoy the red sea again very soon!

Happy to hear you're all better. Thanks for sharing your experience with us so openly. Hopefully we'll all benefit from your efforts. :)

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry you've had to go through this and hope you are feeling better soon.

I have an Aladdin Pro Nitrox. I am extremely happy with it, but I too have been puzzled by the ridiculously short "no-fly" times. It is the only feature of the computer I have been reluctant to trust, and now I will pay it no heed.

I'll stick to the 24-hour rule. Take comfort in the fact that something good has come from this. I (and I'm sure others) will learn from your misfortune.

Take care,
Kimmie

Computers should be disregarded for no fly times (unless being conservative)

The 24 hr rule is a must. If you are multiday diving then some ldc's recommend 48 hr's.

The more conservative you are, hopefully will reduce the risk of you getting bent.:boom:

Good story though eh! Could of been worse, could've been me

I think there is another important lesson in here - how to effectively deal with ignorance in the medical system. Other posts have detailed similar stories, all along the lines of "It's not DCS, It's congestion/angina/upset stomach/ (insert anything but DCS in here)" from the emergency room after sitting for hours while damage is being done.

It sounds like the winning plan is to take some specific notes when you talk to DAN, or are lucky enough to get your doctor. Write down NAMES, PHONE NUMBERS, AND EXACT MEDICAL TERMS USED. Educate yourself on the diagnosis and treatment process. I'm not advocating playing doctor, just recommending being a little more direct with medical personnel. Remind them what doctor told you to come in, what it was for, and have his phone number handy. Ask for 100% O2 because it is a time-critical necessity. They aren't morons, just uninformed and unfamiliar with something like this. Eventually, an informed person usually appears, and gets you taken care of. The challenge is getting to that person before major damage occurs.

Some instructors and advanced nitrox qualified divers keep a 100% O2 pony bottle on-hand for personal deco if they feel like some insurance...

I have not dealt with the bends yet, but HAVE dealt with a medical system fiasco that could have turned serious if I had not asked for a direct, 5-minute, professional, "sit down" with the resident nurse. Once the fog was cleared as to the nature of the situation, care ensued quickly. No one's feeling were hurt and I even got a "glad you did what you did" comment from the hospital. I had names, phone numbers, and exact medical terms used on-hand.

The sad truth here is that YOU are becoming more and more responsible for ensuring quility care as a patient. I think, in this type of situation, a tradeoff of "making some noise" HIGHLY outweighs the end results of being quiet. That's what all the DCS training was for, right?

Keilidh, I am VERY glad everything turned out OK. It's a good reminder of the no-fly importance!

James

Keilidh, thanks for sharing your story and glad to hear tou are ok. Just curious if you ever got a hold of Uwatec and got any response from them?

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom