Just got bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

couple of questions

a) what was the bottom time of each dive?
b) how old is the computer
c) did you buy this computer new or used?
d) was nitrox involved and what % was you using (if any)

Ed

Keilidh,
You've learned what many on this board have been saying for a long time! A dive computer is a tool, nothing more. Just because a dive computer says it's safe to fly, sure doesn't make it so does it? I follow the 24 hr. rule, no exceptions.I'm glad that your story had a happy ending.
My hope is that the many new(and more experienced) divers that read this board take your story to heart. Training and experience beats gagets every time. I use dive computers, but when in doubt about anything, I rely on my training. It's better to err on the side of caution, the alternative sure doesn't look so good sometimes.
:tree:Bob

Keilidh,

I have some "interesting" reading regarding No Fly times. If you're interested, E-mail me at thelostyooper@cs.com.

Mike

Hello,

LY, care to share in public what those references are?

Ed

Keilidh, Glad to hear that you are doing better. DCS is a somewhat mysterious thing in that you could be doing the same profile you did many times before and didn't bent, only to find that this particular time you are. First of all I'd like to thank you for sharing that with us. It's stories like this that are real eye openers.

Second, I've taken a ride in a pressure pot myself... (though the Doctor said it probably wasn't DCS, I chose to be safe rather than sorry.) So I know what you and your loved ones are going through. One other thing is that there is no way you can accurately describe the smells, sounds and temperature variations of a chamber ride to someone whom has never gone through it. Those sences... you will never forget my friend.

Once again... thanks for sharing!

liquid:

go ahead and use my story. Thanks again.

blacknet:

the answers to your questions are:
a) bottom times: 33 + 41 (day one) *** 22 + 37 (day two)
b) my Aladin Air X is 18 months old
c) the computer was bought new
d) no nitrox used, only air was used

Hello,

If I know the bottom times I can look up the no fly time in the us navy manual (the flying after diving tables) for exact figures. I did run some tentative figures tho.

Assuming a bottom time of 30 mins per dive and 1 hour 30 mins between dives I get the no fly time is 14 hours and 9 mins. (assuming it was a commercial flight pressurized to 8,000 feet)

In order to get a no fly time of 5 hours the surface interval would have to be longer and less time.

Ed

Hello,

OK I ran the numbers and this is what I got.

The highest pressure group you was in is 'H' (usn tables) for the past 24 hours before the flight. If you was to goto 8,000 feet (commercial airline) the no fly time is 14 hours and 9 mins.

By this it would appear that your computer's "desaturation time" is in fact the real "no fly time" (I don't know or use this model computer).

This is what I would do. DO *NOT* use the computer again. Re-read the manual and make 100% sure you read/used it correctly. Call the company directly (by pass any and all local dive shops and call the manufacture directly) ask if they can look at the computer to verify it was functioning properly and to test it for defects. (might even want to find some independent 3rd party to do this) Reason is if the computer is not working properly you will apt to get into more problems with it, if it's working correctly then that's a different matter.

Also have they checked you for any permanent damage? To clear you this early it would seem rather sudden but i'm no doctor. (reason I ask this is I know a guy who took a hit and said he could never dive again due to some type of damage he suffered)

Ed

Keilid- Thanks for permiting me the use, I'll probobly contact you about it later on.

Blacknet- don't forget he used a computer, that calculates the profile in reall time, while the table is ajusted for "square" profiles.

blacknet:

Thank u sooo much for ur time and effort. just wanted to add a little something about those Aladin Air X computers. A lady who was diving with us (exactly the same profile) had an Aladin Air X Nitrox (exactly like my computer plus nitrox feature). Just for fun, I asked her what her no fly time was, she said 3 hrs, I didn't believe it until I looked with my own eyes.

I just re-read the Aladin manual and logged into their website (www.uwatec.com), and I don't think I've misused the computer. I dont understand how this computer got such great reviews in dive magazines and is still one of the most expensive high-end computers in the market. I paid about $900 for mine!

I think I'll talk to Uwatec directly and update everyone on their response in this thread.

As for permanent damage, nothing yet I hope. I was discharged from hospital on the condition that I continue the recompression sessions. Only then can an assessment take place. Maximum number of sessions is 14 (dunno why).

Mario:

arrrghhh....the chamber smells like.....a hospital disinfectant....lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom