Just got nitrox certified :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your attitude towards the class is that had you been given the book in advance you would certainly have read it, that pretty much makes you someone who can listen to the lecture and pass the exam. Congratulations: even among 50-yr-olds educated Scandinavia you are significantly more responsible than the average student.

I say that based on having taught other adult education classes, and also having helped with scuba classes. Most people don't even seem to know how to study, and the tests are made so 80% of these people can still pass. Have you noticed how many classes have videos and no text these days?

I have to stop now because this is making me feel old :)

Well Storker with a 24//25 scsore some things are apparent.

1. You know more than you thought
2. What you didnt know you understood the theory and applied to nitrox.
3. Given most testing criteria, Questioniing structoure and answer eliination. most people can get a 60-70 on a subject they know absolutely nothing about when given multiple choice.
4. The remaining 30% of the questions are the actual knowledge items like math based, proceedure memory ect. Even that can be common sence to a large part.
5. To get above 90 you usually have to know something.

We did both when I got nitrox certified through PADI. Of course, it might have been that my instructor was hugely into the mixed gases, cave diving, rebreathers, etc. He is an engineer who graduated from Ga Tech. Nice guy too.

I tend to not dive 32 or 36. Usually 30 but sometimes something else. SDI has a nice set of tables for any % up to 40, EAD, etc. Great for planning. At the bottom is a row of mod for 1.6 and 1.4 for different mixes. Since I dive conservative I added my own rows for 1.2 and 1.3.
On the back are tables for total O2 exposure. I think they are a great set of tables.

Using EAD with Air Dive Tables | SDI | TDI | ERDI

Is it scary that it's completely feasible to pass the course without any cramming whatsoever?

Depends on what you choose to do with it. I don't know how Norway divers tend to use it. In the U.S., not all but a lot of nitrox use entails vacation divers heading for Bonaire or live-aboard doing multi-day repetitive dives on EAN 32. If you can get them to set their computers for EAN 32 & not get over 110 feet deep, well, they'll probably do fine.

There are other uses. When I did 10 dives in Jupiter, Fl, I used EAN 36. Seems like on the dive briefings the typical line was '90 feet to the sand,' so we'd probably not violate the MOD unless somebody hit bottom with a shovel & went to digging... Checking into a potential North Carolina trip, the shop I've made a reservation with banks EAN 30, and I believe the dives tend to run roughly down to 110 feet or so?

Seems like most regulators are fine for recreational nitrox and most dive computers are nitrox ready, too. People need to know not to have partial blending done in a non-O2 clean tank.

If memory serves, I believe there was another thread aways back discussing the practical unlikelihood of an oxygen clock violation coming up in the context of normal recreational practices.

I may well have skipped something important in there somewhere, but for the way a lot of divers use nitrox, the course doesn't have to be super cerebral.

Richard.

If your attitude towards the class is that had you been given the book in advance you would certainly have read it
I'm the kind of guy that reads user manuals in bed. 'nuff said? :dork2:

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 09:34 PM ----------

Download Baltic-Lite app.
I'd love to. However, it seems as if it's only available for iOS, and I'm an Android type of guy :(

Not anymore with PADI. It's computer only. But luckliy, it seems as if it's possible to get those tables - both the RDPs for 32 & 36, and the EAD/oxygen clock table if you ask for them & pay a few €€€/$$$.

That may vary depending on the instructor / center teaching it. I did the PADI Nitrox at my LDS a month or so ago, and while we did spend time learning how to use PDCs, the instructor also spent a good bit of time going over the tables, using both the air RDP tables and the eRDP with nitrox (Using EAD conversions), and calculating CNS tox using the tables. He also went into how to compute MOD using the formula. I appreciated having the "extra" info, but I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be "extra info", but basic required stuff. We got the x32 and x36 tables, and the 2 sided CNS / EAD / PPO2 table as part of the class.

I think one of the differences between a "diver" and an "extended underwater swimmer" is that a diver understands what's going on, why the rules and recommendations are the way they are, not just blindly follow what their PDC says. That said, I love my PDC, but it's a tool, not my brain.

Just my .02

I did the ANDI Nitrox class about 12 years ago. From what I remember, the class was almost all math and tables. And doing 2 dives on NItrox in the quarry.

Like many others, I check my tables for MOD and times, but dive using my computer. I usually bring a tank of 28% and 2 tanks of 32% since we typically hit 3 different dive sites on a trip.

I did the ANDI Nitrox class about 12 years ago. From what I remember, the class was almost all math and tables. And doing 2 dives on NItrox in the quarry.

Like many others, I check my tables for MOD and times, but dive using my computer. I usually bring a tank of 28% and 2 tanks of 32% since we typically hit 3 different dive sites on a trip.

I am curious - does your computer allow for multiple gas switching? If not how do you handle that?

I am curious - does your computer allow for multiple gas switching? If not how do you handle that?

Now I'm curious. What computer doesn't allow you to change the EAN mix during your surface interval?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom