Just ordered my gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great choices on the reg and computer!

It's hard to know what your weight requirement will be, but Monterey water is COLD (as cold as Puget Sound), so if you're diving wet, you've got a lot of neoprene to sink. Spectrum's post is spot on (as usual) . . . Do a formal weight check to determine how much total weight you need, and then move it around until you can balance in a horizontal position. You may find you're moving as much as a third of your weight up into trim pockets or onto your cambands, which solves the integrated weight pocket problem.

BTW, I'm with Pete about using a weight belt, but I know a lot of people don't like them. I've found the ease of moving the rig around, along with the decrease in weight hanging from my shoulders, has been very pleasant.

Congrats on the baby and the gear!

I will back up the weight belt comments. I had a ton of weight in my BCD, but I feel more comfortable and have better trim in the water with a weightbelt (although I still keep come weight in the BCD). I also purchased a combined inflator/breathing device when I first bought equipment. If you dive with different people who are not familiar with your setup, this may not be the best idea. Also, try using it and making sure you are comfortable. I do not think I would in an emergency situation. So, I added a dedicated octo and no have three ways to breath from my setup. Keep the Air2, but I would think about adding a dedicated octo.

Thanks, I never thought of a additional weight system. I have always had probs with weight belts they always like to fall down. But that was in snuba. I also wasnt trying to horizontal in the water.
I will have to try it out. Just to make sure I understand pu bulk of weight on belt and a few in the weight system and the rest in trim pockets. 80% belt, 15% trim, 5%in intergrated. Its funny when you get certified they tell you that air2 is the best way to go and you are trusting them let alone you are using air2 in the rental. Smart marketing. Why does ScubaPro push Air2 as well as the LDS so hard?

Back
Top Bottom