Justifying a dry suit or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Past few days we were teaching OWT, brand new divers, never been in the water before. All were in 5mm full suits and 5mm farmer johns, diving AL80 tanks, and rented stab jackets. *They learn in BP/W's, but want them to struggle a bit diving rented gear to see the benefit*. Anyway, average weight belt is about 8lbs, most we had out there was 16 with a 5mm farmer john and a girl that was pretty floaty. They all stayed down no problem with under 1k in their tanks for their 3 minute stop at 15 ft. They weren't particularly happy because they were learning for the first time what being properly neutral was, but they stayed down. Water was 58F, so a bit colder than the CA waters, and a few degrees warmer than PNW.

I was diving dry in twin HP100's with a transpac, no weight, it's a Rofos trilam, very similar to the TLS350, but no weight required. I was also rather neutral, but it was still manageable. That rig is only 22lbs negative when full. The only justification I can see for a 40lb belt is if you are diving a noncrushed neoprene suit, thick undergarments, an AL backplate or stab jacket, and aluminum tanks, which frankly is stupid to do that kind of diving in that kind of rig...

Hey tbone, how do you like the twin HP100's? That is one of the setup's I'm considering for wrecks then low level tech certs......

To get it back on topic, I'd be diving it dry.....haha

why just low level tech certs? I love them, if you are tall enough for the HP120's they are great too. I am, so go back and forth, but my 120's are sidemount bottles so they go in as independent doubles when I use them. The PST skinny necks are better than the others in my opinion, and the Worthingtons are quite short and rather heavy, so not quite as nice. Downside to the skinny necks is finding manifolds for them, but they are out there.

No real reason other than taking my time, building experience, and seeing if I'm comfortable at deeper depths.

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at the 120's too.

6'4", 32" inseam so rather long back. They are really tall tanks and are actually a smidgen on the long side for me to comfortably sit with them on a bench or pickup truck gate. They're fine for sitting sitting, but the 100's are a bit more manageable.

A drysuit may require a lot of practice (probably dozens of dives) until you have learned to control it perfectly under all situations. Prior to that it is an (unnecessary) risk to some degree. I'm not sure that it would be clever to dive dry only sixt times a year. Money lost, added risk, little benefit. It's a different story if you dive twice a month.

There may be better ways to use that money, but the suit could alter your diving.

Disclaimer: I have only done six dives wet, which means that I don't know anything about wetsuits. I have seen people struggle with drysuits however.

Last edited:
6'4", 32" inseam so rather long back. They are really tall tanks and are actually a smidgen on the long side for me to comfortably sit with them on a bench or pickup truck gate. They're fine for sitting sitting, but the 100's are a bit more manageable.

Ah ok, that explains a lot.

I'm 6-0, and a Tec guy suggested I give the HP 130 a try, since they are shorter than the 120's?

Really liking the HP 100 too, probably a good place to start for doubles.

I see one other female perspective....so how about one more!!!

I dive waters from 38 degree lakes in the winter and spring to Catalina every other year... I love the freedom of a wetsuit when I go to Hawaii..but the drysuit keeps me diving! My frequency is much more often with a DS, shoot if I only had a wetsuit I'd be very very cranky from having to sit out the months from November to June. I don't fear the thermocline in my DS either! Proportionately, if I could dive a steel 100 in Hawaii, my weighting would be the same for a wetsuit as a drysuit. It doesn't change. In late summer I switch undergarments for a lighter weight one...that drysuit is my bestest friend...ever....

There are some good deals here on SB for used drysuits too!

How many dives a month do you need to do to justify a dry suit?

How many dives do you want to be comfortable on?

Back
Top Bottom