Kapalai shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Enjoy your trip, I'm going in September, can't wait. Just wondering though, if there are no rocks involved why did two people suggest open heel w/ booties? I find the full foots weigh less and are more comfortable.

Sorry....my bad....of course you can use full fin. I don't see why not....All dives are off the boat or roll off the wooden pier....steps lead down into the water....its not cold and there are no rocks to deal with.

Thanks Eskasi, now I'll be able to bring a second T-shirt. :D I was in Rangiroa & we had to walk thru broken shells in the water, carrying our equipment to the zodiac, in bare feet. Never want that to happen again. :11:

Enjoy your trip, I'm going in September, can't wait. Just wondering though, if there are no rocks involved why did two people suggest open heel w/ booties? I find the full foots weigh less and are more comfortable.

I love my booties for several reasons:

1) When diving with Kapalai, one of your surface intervals will be on Sipadan Island. Booties make the trek to the toilests easier (they are located further inland, about a 2 min walk depending on where you dock). Some roots and pebbles in the way =)

2) Keeps sand out of your feet. Don't quite like sandy feet in full-foot fins now :wink:. You don't always reboard your speedboat from the pier at Sipadan. Sometimes you just board directly from the beach, wading through the lovely blue water =)

3) Good grip boarding/disembarking from the boat.

4) When I was there, there was some chop in the water at the end of our dusk dive. We had to simulate a shore exit (take off fins before walking up the steps to the pier). Again, good grip on the wooden decking.

5) Protects you from stubbing your toe on renegade weight belts, eqiupment, boat walls etc etc etc =)

You'll love it at Kapalai; I'm already enquiring about the prices of the water bungalows there :D

Just got back to Kota Kinabalu from 4 wonderful days of diving at Kapalai. The diving was incredible, the resort is magical, and the staff was wonderful.
We dove with Michiyo for 3 days and she was an absolutely great guide. She has a calming manner and pointed out all the little critters. She even went out on a sunset shore dive with us to show us the mandarin fish. We dove with Alex on the last day, and he took great care to show us things we hadn't yet seen.
The shore diving couldn't be easier, and there is a lot of great macro life to be seen including the mandarin fish.

Well.....I too like the booties for the Sipadan surface interval.....you COULD bring some flip flops onto the boat for that. Some people do....

Back
Top Bottom