Kelly's $16 Margarita?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat:
I'm not sure why you're complaining. You ordered top shelf drinks, drank them, then complained about the price...
No sympathy from me either... ask first.

WadeGuthrie:
My wife, who used to be a bartender, says that you should never put in a mixed drink what you wouldn't drink straight.
I agree 100%

Cheap alcohol is not worth the hangover... I've worked in the bar business for 17 years so I've had a few :14:

We eat and drink at Casa Denis when visiting Coz. We got both our meals, 3 beers, 2 margaritas {large and strong}, dt.coke and a water for 80 pesos. Last year we paid for 4 people and still only spent 200 pesos. You pay quite a bit more in the bars than the restaurants.

Melissa

Gene Kelly's prices for the most part fall in line with american pricing in a bar lounge/restraunt. Those are premium brands.

Personally,the price on draught at happy hour is cheaper than up here in Canada. His snacks,like the chile dog are VERY reasionable. His fried chicken 3 piece is a great value and the chicken fried steak is more filling than Denys. The Cheese Burger in Paradise is better than at Margaritaville in Cancun,not to mention that Jimmy's Perfect Margarita will set you back 7 bucks.

The bartenders at Kelly's are friendy and prompt...if Greg(I think) was working he probably would have advised you of the price of that Marg before making it.

Ron

ggunn:
Just for the sake of argument, what else should a business have its mind on?

If a business overcharges for its goods, the customer takes his dollars down the street, which is bad for that business' wallet. It's short-sighted.

OTOH, I have no clue what a top shelf margarita should cost. A Leon Negra for me, please.

Been to the Cancun airport?
The Leon Negra's are usually my departing drink.

Ron

Ron Brandt:
Been to the Cancun airport?
The Leon Negra's are usually my departing drink.

Only a couple of times, and not lately.

Leon Negra is a staple for me when I'm where I can get it.

Christi:
OK...I was speaking in easy terms. Things from Mexico are not technically imported as in they don't charge duties on them...but there additional shipping and transportation fees. Cozumel is not self sufficient in the meaning that nothing is produced on the island, so everythinghas to be brought over from the mainland. Since we are on an island, there are a few more logistical steps in getting things to us...and of course those things cost money.

This is not even worth debating...the fact is that island living, even in Mexico is not as "cheap" as people would like to believe.

Same thing in Hawaii. Gotta factor in the cost of getting it there.

1) I have to agree about not putting the top shelf liquors in mixed drinks. That's akin to blasphemy. Nothing makes me cringe worse than watching people who take a decent 12 to 18 year old single malt and add water, soda, or ice. As far as using regular wines for cooking, yes, it's a good idea not to use "cooking wines" because they are low quality, but the house brands for mixed drinks aren't really all that bad.

2) As we discovered on our first trip to Mexico, a good tequila is about as tasty as a decent single malt. From what I've seen, Don Julio is about as "top shelf" in Mexico as regular Cuervo is in the states (which is pretty much middle of the line). It's good, but not the best. Ask a local what kind of tequila is the best. Finer, aged whiskys and tequilas should be sipped for best enjoyment, and not slammed like a frat boy who's trying to avoid the taste and go straight for the quick drunk.

3) As for the headaches, there's a simple concept called MODERATION!

4) If you're going to be an alcohol snob, your best bet is to not worry about the prices...you have people for that.

RonFrank:
Well, to put some perspective on this, we were charged $25.00 for two rather small bugers, and two gatoraides while sking recently at WinterPark/Jane!! :11doh: I could have got the same meal at a Burger King for $4 :D

Ron, Ron, Ron. What were you thinking? How long have you lived in Colorado?

While at Winter Park/Jane a few weeks ago, my wife and I havd a delightful lunch for a very reasonable price. And no lines. We just sat down and dipped into the fanny pack for a well made and nutritious meal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom