Key Largo diving/lodging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed at the Ramada Inn MM100 and dove with Rainbowreef http://www.rainbowreef.us

They have a small "office" on the Ramada Parking (I think their main outlet is in Islamorada) and the boat is just next to the hotel. (so much closer than Horizon Divers).

Diving was really nice, organization was OK (we just dropped by), the boat was not really crowded and we had a DM in the water but we could go dive on our own...

Check their website for specials.

paradise divers are no longer around. i recommend island ventures or blue water divers(flexible dive profiles, 10 divers max). ocean divers, amy slates, horizion divers and aquanauts are fine but are crowded(cattle boats)(up to 25 divers). good luck,

reefman
key largo

I dove with Silent World - Great boat and crew.

Here is their site: http://www.pennekamp.com/sw/charters.htm

They also can get you lodging, that I cannot comment on as I live in South Florida. Most of the lodging down there is pretty much the same. Everyone has their preferences. They are mine as I stated: Great boat and crew. If you need more help PM me and I'll try and assist you.

Dive Safely
Joe

reefman:
paradise divers are no longer around. i recommend island ventures or blue water divers(flexible dive profiles, 10 divers max). ocean divers, amy slates, horizion divers and aquanauts are fine but are crowded(cattle boats)(up to 25 divers). good luck,

reefman
key largo

How long ago did Paradise Charters close? We enjoyed their crews and boats?

paradise charters shut down in late fall..................

reefman
key largo

I've used SILENT WORLD several times...they have a 5 trip package for around $200 including taxes. They have 2 30 foot Island Hoppers & limit to 14 divers. It does get "cozy" if you are on a full boat.

Another response suggested Aqua-Nuts. Aqua-Nuts had a fatality last week. Go to KeyNoter.com to read about it. They have nice 42 foot boats, but 28 divers might make you want to say MOOOO. I dove with them 2 times previously. Once right before & once right after they left 2 divers out on the reef. When I noticed a different procedure on the 2nd trip, I asked the crew several questions about it. None of the answers made sense to me. When I got home I searched the internet and found out what happened. I have chosen not to use them since.

I have used and liked REEF ADVENTURES out of Pennekamp Park. They are cheaper if you have ALL your own gear, including tanks. I usually drive and take all my own gear.

I also like TAVERNIER DIVE CENTER if you go a few miles further south.

For rooms: cheapest rate is Ed & Ellens (www.ed-ellens-lodgings.com) For about $50 a night you can get a small room with window A/C. No phone, no pool, no frills. HOLIDAY INN gets you a Holiday Inn room for starting at $150 a night. Has a pool/phone/bar etc.

Have fun.

Mike

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that Paradise Charters went out of business. We enjoyed diving with them last year and found them to be a quality operation. :( Guess we'll have to find another op to use for our dive trip next year to the Keys, but I can't imagine that should be very hard. :wink:

Fun 2 Dive Scuba in Sanford, FL has 3 and 4 day trips to the Keys. They charge $75 per day per person for the boat plus food and lodging and take no more than 6 people. If you do not have advanced OW, you need a dive master for deeper depths that 60' and I believe that ALL DM's charge for that.

Happy Diving.

Larry

Big Mike:
I've used SILENT WORLD several times...they have a 5 trip package for around $200 including taxes. They have 2 30 foot Island Hoppers & limit to 14 divers. It does get "cozy" if you are on a full boat.

Another response suggested Aqua-Nuts. Aqua-Nuts had a fatality last week. Go to KeyNoter.com to read about it. They have nice 42 foot boats, but 28 divers might make you want to say MOOOO. I dove with them 2 times previously. Once right before & once right after they left 2 divers out on the reef. When I noticed a different procedure on the 2nd trip, I asked the crew several questions about it. None of the answers made sense to me. When I got home I searched the internet and found out what happened. I have chosen not to use them since.

I have used and liked REEF ADVENTURES out of Pennekamp Park. They are cheaper if you have ALL your own gear, including tanks. I usually drive and take all my own gear.

I also like TAVERNIER DIVE CENTER if you go a few miles further south.

For rooms: cheapest rate is Ed & Ellens (www.ed-ellens-lodgings.com) For about $50 a night you can get a small room with window A/C. No phone, no pool, no frills. HOLIDAY INN gets you a Holiday Inn room for starting at $150 a night. Has a pool/phone/bar etc.

Have fun.

Mike
I could not find the story at KeyNoter.com, how do I find it.

Story in Keynoter.com was only on there for one day. I tried to do a search but it wouldn't pull it back up. They hate negative dive publicity!

Basically, a 52 yr old man (from York, PA.) was doing 2nd dive of day with Aqua Nuts (first dive was a 30 footer). Story said there were 28 divers (on a 42 ft boat). Man & buddy ascended at end of 20 ft dive. They were an undisclosed distance from the boat and switched to snorkel to surface swim to boat. On way back the buddies became separated. When buddy got back he noticed man was not back yet. About that time a nearby boat alerted Aqua-Nuts that they had a diver in distress near their boat. DM & 3 divers jumped in and brought him back to boat. Give CPR but man was DOA.

I have seen no other mentions of this article in Keys or Miami newspapers.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom