Key Largo diving/lodging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are booked with Brent from Blue water divers in June.

This will be our first time with them, but so far they seem to run a small, well-organized operation (max 10 divers/boat). If you are the first to sign up, then you get to choose the type of diving they will do on that trip. They leave in the morning, and the afternoon, and they can do night dives if at least 4 divers want to. Price is $65 for a 2-tank trip, with discounts if you do 3 or 5 trips (10%, 20%).

They work with the Holiday Inn, the Marina del Mar and the Radisson. We decided to stay at the Best Western down the road ($109 per night for a 2-level suite).

www.bluewaterdiver.net

Enjoy your trip!

J.

cnctina:
I could not find the story at KeyNoter.com, how do I find it.
I just typed in "fatality" in their search area it came right up. Not sure why someone wouldn't dive with the operator again based onthis limited information. Article reads like diver had the big one while swimming bacgk to the boat. Cain't blame the operator for that.

http://keynoter.com/articles/2005/03/23/news/news05.txt

As far good diving and avoiding the cattle boats, I like Quescience. I have used the a couple of times. They are "6-pack" boats, but will go with as little as 4 divers. Since it is me, the wife, the son and daughter, its like having your own private charter without the expence.

"edit" While I was away from the keyboard, Mike beat me to it!

Stayed at Marriot Key Largo in January. Badly over-priced for a 'non-smoking' room that reaked of smoke overlooking the back of the hotel office. the hotel dive op took my reservation, than shuffled me off to another shop for a last minute death ride to a strange boat. In June I'll look elsewhere.

jedah:
We are booked with Brent from Blue water divers in June.

This will be our first time with them, but so far they seem to run a small, well-organized operation (max 10 divers/boat). If you are the first to sign up, then you get to choose the type of diving they will do on that trip. They leave in the morning, and the afternoon, and they can do night dives if at least 4 divers want to. Price is $65 for a 2-tank trip, with discounts if you do 3 or 5 trips (10%, 20%).

They work with the Holiday Inn, the Marina del Mar and the Radisson. We decided to stay at the Best Western down the road ($109 per night for a 2-level suite).

www.bluewaterdiver.net

Enjoy your trip!

J.

I agree that Blue Water Divers was nice. I dove with them a week ago, and they were very accomodating. There were 6 divers and 1 snorkler. The only thing I didn't really like was the max time of 1 hour u/w. On shallow reefs, that is not full time. But it is still enough time to have fun. They have a morning 2 tank dive, and an afternoon 2-3 tank dive, depending on what the rest of the divers in the group want.

We wanted to do 3, and since I called them a month in advance, my buddy and I were able to do the Grove, which was amazing. We also did the French Reef, which was also very nice. The Benwood wreck was ok, but not as great as the other 2 dives.

Blue Water is basically in the same parking lot as the Holiday Inn. We were staying in Marathon (did the Thunderbolt, among others), but when I go back to Key Largo, I plan to stay at the Holiday Inn and dive with Blue Water again.

If you like wrecks, the Speigle Grove is great. I've also heard that Bibb and Duane are really good too. Haven't heard too much about Eagle. Maybe someone else can comment on that. If you don't mind driving an hour or so down to Marathon, the Thunderbolt is an awesome wreck dive. For reefs, the French Reef has several potential dives.

Good luck and have fun,
Mike

Looking through the thread, I don't think anyone has mentioned Jeff Jarvis on the HMS Minnow http://hmsminnow.com/hmsminnow/ Six pack boat. He will consider special request such as back to back dives on the Grove, Bibb/Duane. I have even done a deep drift dive on the outside of Molasses off his boat. All of these special request depend upon the agreement of other customers/divers. If you're the first to book, you decide what type of dive wreck/reef.

We did the Duane in an "almost undivable" current. Jeff dropped us on one bouy and picked us up on the other making it a one way, downcurrent trip. Many operators won't do that.

I've used him for two different trips and was very pleased. Plus, he is right out back of the Holiday Inn and will get you a discount on rooms there.

I have used Jeff Jarvis also and would highly recommend him.

After having used several Keys operators. My daughters would balk at using anyone other than the "Minnow".

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom