Key Largo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son and I did 5 days with Rainbow Reef last May. There was actually another Ottawa diver on the boat with us a couple of days, he tagged onto my Sharky's t-shirt. Small world.

DMs are no extra charge if you choose to use them - they are always on the boat. Dive sites and schedules are on their website.

I love Ocean Divers, Slates and Rainbow Reef! I'm really starting to warm up to the dive op in Pennekamp. Eric has done a great job there!

Cool things to see? Is that in the water or out? I typically dive shallow reefs at Key Largo. I see lots of grunts, some snappers, groupers including Goliath groupers at times, barracuda, damsels, butterfly fish, parrotfish, Bermuda chub, reef jacks, nurse sharks, puffers, gobies, blennies, trumpet fish, file fish and angels. There are good hard and soft corals too. On the deep wrecks, you will probably see more pelagics.

On shore, Key Largo is a funky place. My wife says she thinks they put Prozac in the water supply. You get quirky bars and restaurants. There are some strange attractions there like the African Queen - the boat from the movie of the same name. There is a bird rehab center that has far more birds than you would think. There is a dive museum.

+1 Ocean Divers. My buddy and I did 3 days this summer worth of wrecks and reefs and loved every dive. Nice boat and captains.

Other highlights on our trip included staying at the Key West Inn, the 'original' Mrs Mac's Kitchen and Diver's Direct dive shop which we seemed to frequent on daily basis.

Thanks for all of the info, everyone! I booked with Rainbow Reef, had a great time and took lots of pictures. Sea turtles, puffers, rays, and pretty much the whole assortment of stuff on the FL Reef Diving ID card. Spectacular! The blue of your ocean literally brought tears to my eyes. I brought my 7mm with me :dork: and was the only person on the boat not freezing their butt off! Not needing a hood and gloves was a nice perk, though. And the number of dive shops with so much variety of gear? I almost stroked out and nearly set my credit card on fire. If you frequent these types of waters, I envy you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom