Key Largo mid-March, diving and snorkeling together, or snorkel only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did two dives with Cpt. Slate's about a week ago. I definitely liked their pricing! I liked the fact that dive boats were light on load (6 divers on deep dive boat) and that they have separate boats for snorkeling, shallow/reef, and deep dives (3 boats). From what I've seen the load on snorkel boat is pretty high, less on shallow/reef, and even less on deep dive boat. On deep dive I like their double dip on Spiegel Grove (did it twice!).

Service is good but not as personal as Scuba-Do service (boat for 14 with max 10 so there is more room and they bring equipment to you for diving).

Statue and Minnow Cave are great for snorkelers.

The creature feature with slates is great fun. Its pretty much right at the city of washington plus or minus about 50'. The second dive will most likely be at south ledges. As for the snorkelers during the creature feature, im pretty sure its allowed but to me it sounds alot like putting a wounded seal on the surface during a shark feeding.
Avery, I am surprised that you are an instructor here in Key Largo ( Out of respect I wont mention which one) and dont know the depths of reefs that you send your students to.:(

The City Of Washington is part of the a "Big Reef" named The Elbow the depths are only 23-30' tops on the City Of Washington. I'm not an Instructor but I am a diver here and have dove most all the named reefs and many unnamed reefs here. But in your defense I guess you could take a shovel and dig your depths :rofl3: The only deep spot on the Elbow is Nelsons Ledge and the pin is at 52 and drops off to over 100. BUT this is no where near the City of Washington so no chance of making your way to Nelsons.

As far as snorkles and sharks:confused: It's the ocean for crying out load, is it not:idk: I have never seen a bull shark in or around the City Of Washinton but I can pretty much say there has been thousands that have swam by in the past guzzlion years as well as other things we dont have the pleasure of seeing as divers here. The sharks we feed are nurse sharks and the ells are spotted and or green, we have a huge grouper and a few other things that come to eat the fish we serve. They are NOT interested in eating people :rofl3:

Snorkel is actually going to be better from the dive boats as they will get more time and it wont be as crowded. The snorkel boats pack every inch of the boat they can.
It is a dive boat that goes out to the Creature Feature:shakehead: OMG Avery get it right or just dont give advice. We take snorklers as well as divers out on our dive boats to see the creature feature. We dont take our glass bottom snorkle boat out. :shakehead:

Why not do Discover Scuba for the Kids so they can dive with you? We can set up a package DSD deal for you over at Silent World if you like. (305) 451-3252

And last but not least most all dive shops have discover scuba here in the Keys :D But please if you are doing these please make sure you know the depths before taking out your DSD students.

Last edited:
And last but not least most all dive shops have discover scuba here in the Keys :D But please if you are doing these please make sure you know the depths before taking them out your DSD students.

Hehe. Either way I think experience with Cpt. Slate's will be good. Don't forget to top the crew at the end! :wink:

Torontonian, I sent you a PM. Bottom line, listen to the folks here on the Conch forum who have been in SoFla for decades; many of the frequent posters on here grew up down here.

I would take any information made by a competitor's employee with a huge grain of salt. :popcorn:

Thanks Debby :kiss2: She is right who else better to ask questions to than our very own SoFla Divers.

Avery, I am surprised that you are an instructor here in Key Largo ( Out of respect I wont mention which one) and dont know the depths of reefs that you send your students to.

The 50' in not in regards to the depth of the dive it is the distance from the city of washington itself on a horizontal basis. Being the feeding is done on the sand to the North of the city I would say 50' is about spot on. The question this was in response to was the distance from the city not the depth of the dive.

Regarding mentioning who I instructor for thats very simple and covered by my signature. I work for TCH Adventures. TCH Adventures provides contract instruction, guiding, and crewing to multiple operations in key largo. Including but not limited Silent World who I am a contractor for not a employee.

As far as snorkles and sharks It's the ocean for crying out load, is it not I have never seen a bull shark in or around the City Of Washinton but I can pretty much say there has been thousands that have swam by in the past guzzlion years as well as other things we dont have the pleasure of seeing as divers here. The sharks we feed are nurse sharks and the ells are spotted and or green, we have a huge grouper and a few other things that come to eat the fish we serve. They are NOT interested in eating people

Never said people would be eaten. What I said was personally I think snorkeling during a feeding is a bad idea. You will also notice that I to said the creature feature is great fun.

Snorkel is actually going to be better from the dive boats as they will get more time and it wont be as crowded. The snorkel boats pack every inch of the boat they can.
It is a dive boat that goes out to the Creature Feature OMG Avery get it right or just dont give advice. We take snorklers as well as divers out on our dive boats to see the creature feature. We dont take our glass bottom snorkle boat out.

Was not saying the creature feature was run from a snorkel boat if you read the entire thread you will see there was a question regarding the snorkel operations for the snorkelers instead of from a dive boat. The statement was simply snorkeling from a dive boat will get you more time. Think its pretty clear to everyone that the creature feature is run from a dive boat.

For some clarification for everyone on my standing regarding this thread note the following:

• The creature feature at Slates is great fun and should be included in your dive plans for key largo if you have never done it before.

• I personally think that snorkeling during a feeding of any kind is a bad idea. You will get more from the experience by doing as a dive instead of a snorkel because you are more up close and personal with the encounter and in my personal thought it would be safer as well.

• If you have divers and snorkelers in your group its better to do your snorkel from the dive boats as they can accommodate everyone in your group and result in longer snorkel times. The extra cost of snorkeling from a dive boat is worth it compared to that of a snorkel only boat.

• Almost every operation in the Keys including Slates offers great DSD programs. My suggestion here was that he get a DSD for the kids so they could dive for the creature feature instead of snorkel.

Regarding mentioning who I instructor for thats very simple and covered by my signature.
You ARE aware, are you not, that most of the links on your website (if not all...I only tried a dozen) lead to
ERROR 404 - FILE NOT FOUND

You ARE aware, are you not, that most of the links on your website (if not all...I only tried a dozen) lead to

I am; I am in the middle of redoing the entire site this week.

I wouldn't put an incomplete website in my sig. Just sayin'.

The 50' in not in regards to the depth of the dive it is the distance from the city of washington itself on a horizontal basis. Being the feeding is done on the sand to the North of the city I would say 50' is about spot on. The question this was in response to was the distance from the city not the depth of the dive. :shakehead: again if you can't give good advice please dont give any at all... The depth of the feed is 28 feet a far cry from 50 feet.:shakehead: I should know I have been on many a feed in the past.

Regarding mentioning who I instructor for thats very simple and covered by my signature. I work for TCH Adventures. TCH Adventures provides contract instruction, guiding, and crewing to multiple operations in key largo. Including but not limited Silent World who I am a contractor for not a employee.
WOW and you still dont know the depths and the reefs here in Key Largo WOW !!!!

Never said people would be eaten. What I said was personally I think snorkeling during a feeding is a bad idea. You will also notice that I to said the creature feature is great fun.
Statue and Minnow Cave are great for snorkelers.

Avery here is your post below...

The creature feature with slates is great fun. Its pretty much right at the city of washington plus or minus about 50'. The second dive will most likely be at south ledges.{ As for the snorkelers during the creature feature, im pretty sure its allowed but to me it sounds alot like putting a wounded seal on the surface during a shark feeding. } Your statement which apply's what than???

Why not do Discover Scuba for the Kids so they can dive with you? We can set up a package DSD deal for you over at Silent World if you like. (305) 451-3252

Was not saying the creature feature was run from a snorkel boat if you read the entire thread you will see there was a question regarding the snorkel operations for the snorkelers instead of from a dive boat. The statement was simply snorkeling from a dive boat will get you more time. Think its pretty clear to everyone that the creature feature is run from a dive boat.

Avery I do hope you have a great day and spend the time at home reading the water charts here in Key Largo.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom