Key Largo mid-March, diving and snorkeling together, or snorkel only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to add that criticizing another dive op, especially when you don't know what you are talking about, reflects poorly on the shop who you are currently shilling for. Just sayin'.

I'd like to add that criticizing another dive op, especially when you don't know what you are talking about, reflects poorly on the shop who you are currently shilling for. Just sayin'.

OMG Really! Every single one of my post clearly says the creature feature is a fun experience. There is no criticizing here at all. Every person who comes diving in the keys should go on the creature feature event its great fun and a huge attraction for Key Largo. I don't think its possible for me to make my stance on how I feel about the creature feature any more clear. In fact as speargirl already knows the OP of this thread has since contacted Slates in regards to getting his kids into a DSD.

The 50' in not in regards to the depth of the dive it is the distance from the city of washington itself on a horizontal basis. Being the feeding is done on the sand to the North of the city I would say 50' is about spot on. The question this was in response to was the distance from the city not the depth of the dive. again if you can't give good advice please dont give any at all... The depth of the feed is 28 feet a far cry from 50 feet. I should know I have been on many a feed in the past.
Again the 50' is not in regards to the depth. Its in regards to where the feeding takes place in terms of distance from the wreck of the city of washington. Distance from a given location has absolutely nothing to do with the depth of a site.

Avery I do hope you have a great day and spend the time at home reading the water charts here in Key Largo.
Why is the exact distance from the city of washington that the feeding takes place at now included on Navigational Charts? No where in any post I put up does it say the depth of the dive is 50' only the distance on a HORIZONTAL basis from the wreck itself.

{ As for the snorkelers during the creature feature, im pretty sure its allowed but to me it sounds alot like putting a wounded seal on the surface during a shark feeding. } Your statement which apply's what than???
It means as it clearly says that in my personal thought a snorkelers floating around on the surface of the water looks a lot like a wounded seal. And yes I personally I think that snorkeling during a feeding when you could be diving it is not the best idea.

Dude - you've been shilling for Silent World here and elsewhere...

It's time to step away from the keyboard.

Avery, I felt that you were trying to scare off the OP and that is why I called it criticism.

Seals, wounded or otherwise, are not part of the Keys environment. Now if they were doing this off the coast of California...well, I might be scared too!

Never said people would be eaten.

Maybe not but you have certainly made it clear that you are a :dramaqueen:.....see below

I wouldn't be floating around on the surface with sharks being feed in the water but thats just me. No ones been eaten as of yet doing it. :popcorn:

I heard there was a shark sighting in California so we better clear the beaches.

Steve, knock it off, I'm going to get in trouble for laughing at work.

Hehe. Either way I think experience with Cpt. Slate's will be good. Don't forget to top the crew at the end! :wink:
Even if the crew is attractive, if I top the crew, my wife wouldn't like it very much.:rofl3:

Oh, you mean tip the crew. I always do that, for good service.:D

Thanks for all the advise.

I thought Avery had meant 50' as in horizontal distance not depth. But it wasn't explicitly stated as depth, so it could've been interpreted as depth by some.

I understand where Avery is coming from, thinking snorkeling is not good on top of some shark feeding, if a bull shark was cited recently. That's why I asked about confirming the bull shark citing. His warning about the danger of snorkeling there, certainly can be interpreted as warning or unfriend toward Speargirl and Capt. Slate, who are doing the Creature Feature. As such, Speargirl is defensive about that. Quite understandable, with good info. Avery also continued to say the Creature dive is good, and would be good for my kids to dive that instead of snorkeling. So there may be some misunderstanding, but all the comments and advise are valuable to me.

I called and spoke to Speargirl yesterday, and booked to go on the Creature dive on Mar. 12. It was interesting to hear her saying Capt. Slate talks too much. If a manager there can freely talk about the captain like that, they sound like fun people. I so much look forward to that trip.

Whether my wife and kids join as snorkelers on this trip, or on a separate trip (I'm also considering the shallow dive to Christ statue and Minnow could be good for dive/snorkel trip), we are still researching.

In the summer of 2008, my wife and I wanted to go diving/snorkeling at the keys, and booked at the Holiday Inn Key Largo. Unfortunately tropical Faye forced us go scramble and found a hotel in FLL to stay for 2 rainy days. We had one day left, so drove to Key West, only passing by Key Largo. (Did eat and enjoyed the salads at Mrs. Mac's Kitchen) This time hope our trip will be smoother, and we get to enjoy Key Largo.

Even if the crew is attractive, if I top the crew, my wife wouldn't like it very much.:rofl3:

Oh, you mean tip the crew. I always do that, for good service.:D

Yeah it was a typo :)

I meant tip the crew. You can also tip Speargirl esp. if she gets you good Scubaboard rate (as she got me).

tipping good crew is always good gesture (I don't work for any shop nor am I dive professional).

It was interesting to hear her saying Capt. Slate talks too much. If a manager there can freely talk about the captain like that, they sound like fun people. I so much look forward to that trip.

I was a witness of an event when I was there end of the year. I can tell you that Speargirl does not play around when it comes to customer service. She made sure that someone had a quick attitude adjustment. In my opinion that is a sign of good customer oriented operation. Attitude happens sometime it is how one deals with it that can make or break the shop. (Kudos to Speargirl to proactively dealing with what could have turned into a bad customer experience and turned into a good experience.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom