Key Largo Next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be spending next week in KL and diving with Ocean Divers.

Anyone other SB'rs going to be there?

Rescue Diver68,

Sorry I won't be diving with you. Please relay my holiday greetings to Captains Lou and Joe and Mates Marcus, Hans, and Louis.

Good diving, Craig from Philadelphia

Rescue Diver68,

Sorry I won't be diving with you. Please relay my holiday greetings to Captains Lou and Joe and Mates Marcus, Hans, and Louis.

Good diving, Craig from Philadelphia

Will do neighbor (I'm in South Jersey). Hoping for good weather.

Hey Rescue Diver, I'll be there sometime the 29th. As of yet I haven't booked any dives.
Are you booked on Ocean Divers the 30th? 31st?

One thing kinda bugs me a little. I saw some reviews on them, and somebody was complaining about their steel tanks and that they were only filled to 2600psi. I've never dove with a steel tank, so I don't know anything about them. The only issue I'd have about them is the weight.
Am I going to have to reduce some lead?

Hi F-O-W,

I haven't heard any complaints about steel tanks. If they are LP steel then it would explain the 2600 PSI. Steel is negatively bouyant even when empty which I consider a big plus. Taking a few pounds of lead out of the weight pouches is good thing as far as I am concerned. With a 3mil suit and steel tank I can go lead-free, however I am bringing a thicker suit so I can be toasty warm. Yes, I am diving on the 30th and 31st weather permitting the whole week.

That's what I was figuring, which might present a slight problem for me. I did a little experimenting in a pool working on my bouyancy, and shoved six lbs of 1lb ingots into my shoulder straps. So with an AL80, I can now hover perfectly. So I went ahead and glued them in permanently.
Otoh, it could just mean I'll be hovering with a couple puffs of air in my bc instead of totally empty like usual, which isn't a biggy.

We're staying at the Holiday Inn until the morning of the 1st, then moving farther down the Keys. Maybe Marathon, maybe farther. Wife wants to get at least one day seeing Key West.

Well it is a little odd to glue non-ditchable weights in your BCD but if you obtained perfect bouyancy in the pool with the weights you would have to add weight to compensate for the salt water anyway. You might be pretty close on proper weighting. I would still never permanently adhere weights to my BCD.

I hear ya, but it's just six lbs. And the day I can't lift six lbs, well, I'd pretty much not belong in the water anymore IMO. If it came down to that, I can ditch the entire rig in a heartbeat.
Last time I dove salt water I dove with six lbs on my belt, which worked fine. But I couldn't keep my fins off the reef. Hence the shoulder weights.
Not to mention the fact that your average SS backplate (also non ditchable) weighs six lbs.

Last edited:
I'm coming in on the 27th, diving with Silent World 28,29 and 30th both morning and afternoon boats. Can't wait, weather is looking average...sunny...could be warmer...sorry I 'm a wimp.

Monday Dec 28 Sunny 72°/57°
Tuesday Dec 29 Mostly Sunny 77°/63°
Wednesday Dec 30 Partly Cloudy 81°/63°

Cool, let me know if you want to do a SB meet for drinks afterwards one day. The temps you posted are nice compared to the below 30 degrees I have wakened to this week up north, not to mention the two foot of snow I shoveled out of my driveway. I'll take 72 and sunny! I am concerned with the wind speeds though. I hope the fetch is kind or I'll be feeding the fishes.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom