Pompano or Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strima77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How is the diving off Pompano now? I am considering diving there next week, not sure how it compares to Key Largo. Coming from up north. thanks

How is the diving off Pompano now? I am considering diving there next week, not sure how it compares to Key Largo. Coming from up north. thanks
Key Largo= clear water but shallow (unless you dive the wrecks).

Pompano= hard to find a good dive operation (some other Floridians are sure to disagree). I like shore diving at Lauderdale-by-the-sea or Palm Beach County (Pura Vida).

Pompano= hard to find a good dive operation (some other Floridians are sure to disagree). I like shore diving at Lauderdale-by-the-sea or Palm Beach County (Pura Vida).

I agree with @Catito. The better dive charter operators are up in Jupiter & Palm Beach IMO. I used to dive Pompano regularly until Pompano Dive Center closed. Since then I’ve done two dives in Pompano and don’t plan to return until they get better charter options. Instead I dive up in Palm Beach County one weekend a month.

Have you considered Fort Lauderdale as well?

@Strima77 It will also help if we knew what type of diving you were looking for. Wrecks, reefs, drift, depths, etc?

Pompano offers a mix of moored wrecks and reefs which are drift dived. Same for Ft. Lauderdale. The better reef diving is either in Key Largo or Palm Beach County (Boynton, Palm Beach, Jupiter). Palm Beach County also has wreck diving too with almost all of them drift dived, not moored. There are a number of wreck trecks that are dived in sequence.

In terms of reefs, in general the further north you go up the coast, the reef line gets deeper. Jupiter offers the deepest average depth for their reef dives (60-90') while Ft. Lauderdale is shallowest (10-30').

Thanks all for your advice. While I've done all sorts of dives, I think I will go for the laid back reef dives of Key Largo.

@Strima77 - one decent OP I know in Pompano is Aqualife Divers. Tons of nice dive spots there.
When in Key Largo - I'd suggest to check out few nice ops in Islamorada too, like Key Dives and IDC (Islamorada Dive Center) and Conch Republic in Tavernier.
Personally I like Islamorada diving better than Key Largo.

@Strima77 - one decent OP I know in Pompano is Aqualife Divers. Tons of nice dive spots there.
When in Key Largo - I'd suggest to check out few nice ops in Islamorada too, like Key Dives and IDC (Islamorada Dive Center) and Conch Republic in Tavernier

I'd put "decent" in quotes regarding Aqualife. They were a one and done for me. My comments are posted here on SB somewhere.

I'd put "decent" in quotes regarding Aqualife. They were a one and done for me. My comments are posted here on SB somewhere.
I used them quite a few times without any hiccups last year though, nothing at all like you mentioned in 2021. Maybe just my luck?

You see soft corals in Pompano. And there are some nice wrecks.

But Key Largo has soft and hard corals. It also has (I think) a greater diversity of sea life. Much of the diving is relatively shallow 30’-50’.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom