Key Largo recommendations needed for scuba, snuba, snorkeling, kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I'm going to be spending 6 days in Key Largo next month and would appreciate some recommendations for diving for me and snorkeling/snuba for my son. We'll be staying at the Hilton Key Largo. My son just turned 12. He's been snorkling and we did snuba last year and loved it.

I'm envisioning a vacation where I scuba two days, my son and I snorkel one day, and we snuba another day if we can find an operator. If we can't find snuba, we'll stay at the resort and play there the rest of the time.

I dive frequently in San Diego but have decided not to bring my gear with me on this trip (other than mask and fins). This is the first stop on a multiple destination trip and I don't want to have to carry my dive gear the whole time. My son has his own mask and fins, too.

Any dive operator recommendations that are close to the Hilton that would be a good fit? Any snuba operators in the area? Google has not been conclusive and I haven't called around yet. Any pointers in the right direction are very appreciated. Thanks!

Lots of good dive ops in KL. We have used most of them and have usually been quite pleased. I like Rainbow Reef...they have guides at no extra cost.

I second the Rainbow Reef Dive Center recommendation. They have guides/instructors on all of the boat trips. You could enjoy both scuba and snorkeling with them, but I have not heard of any operators that offer snuba. Would your son be old enough to try a "Discover Scuba" dive? There are very shallow reefs in Key Largo...perhaps he could try "Discover Scuba" and you could dive with him :D

Rainbow reef & Conch Republic are 2 i can think of off top of my head. not sure of snuba besides Tilden in Marathon -- and that's a good drive from key largo.
Conch does list snorkeling on their site specifically. Silent World is close by as well.

silent world lists rentals for BC's & BP/W

all of them offer discover scuba i believe as well.

Hi crispix. My names Jeff. I work at Horizon Divers. We dive and snorkel everyday. What questions do you have and how can I help you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the operators mentioned above enjoy a good reputation for safety and fun. Also consider Ocean Divers

Just wanted to follow up. I ended up with Rainbow Reef for both the snorkeling and scuba and they did a great job. (Thanks, Jeff, for the PM -- I called your shop first but ended up with Rainbow Reef because they include a guide for free and I was diving solo and didn't want to end up with an insta-buddy on an unfamiliar dive.)

Conditions were apparantly below-average last week, but I have no comparison and had a great time. Dove the Spiegel Grove and was amazed -- guide took us on some swim-throughs, saw Snoopy. Crazy currents, though. Thanks for the recommendations.

In any event I am glad you had a good time. The rainbow reef folks are top shelf.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom