King crab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to argue that diving is much easier and faster than pots and you can pick out which ones you want.

Dave

last week i did a dive for dungeness, they do move fast, i found it more productive to pounce down on them from above.

KOMPRESSOR:
Order those flight tickets and go somewhere you've never been before and do something you've never done before!
-Now that's great fun, and just what we're doing!

If your boss says no - fire him! :wink:
(You can always find a new boss...)

Anyway, these King Crabs aren't welcomed in Norway since they are an introduced species. The russians moved a few individuals from the Pacific over to the Northern Ocean and they've multiplied ever since. Now they're a pest in our northernmost waters, and they destroy fishing nets and eat anything that doesn't move on the ocean floor. You can see them in tens of thousands some places.

And to top it off our government is bound to fishing treaties with the russians, so we cannot start commercial fishing for them in any amount that would help. Those with a king crab license however, they can pretty much laugh all the way to the bank, 'cause prices for king crab are way up there!

It's supposed to be great food, and I intend to find out pretty soon, with or without permission!
I saw a program about that problem and it was pretty hair-raising. The first images showed the bottom of the ocean litterally moving with thousands of huge crabs. It was creepy. The funny thing was that Russian fishermen cannot harvest the crabs freely either because the King's territory seems to be around sensitive Russian naval bases where access is very limited and the fishermen get hassled and their boats searched all the time by Russian navy patrol boats. Oh yeah the Russian port is Murmansk, where old nuclear subs are rotting away and may already be spilling their crap right there in King Crab's (new) country. That may explain the size of the crabs...

plongeursousmarin:
I saw a program about that problem and it was pretty hair-raising. The first images showed the bottom of the ocean litterally moving with thousands of huge crabs. It was creepy. The funny thing was that Russian fishermen cannot harvest the crabs freely either because the King's territory seems to be around sensitive Russian naval bases where access is very limited and the fishermen get hassled and their boats searched all the time by Russian navy patrol boats. Oh yeah the Russian port is Murmansk, where old nuclear subs are rotting away and may already be spilling their crap right there in King Crab's (new) country. That may explain the size of the crabs...

This is wrong info. I don't know were you Americans hear these stories, but I suppose it has something to do with lack of reading newspapers with REAL news :06: JUST KIDDING! (Are you still afraid the "commies" gonna invade?!)

However, the "carpet" of thousands of spawning crabs are for real every year outside the northernmost coasts of Norway (Finnmark County).

And neither the Norwegian or Russian fishing industry can catch freely this well paid plague! But this is due to silly fishery agreements between Norway and Russia, not military installations. The Russians put this "little" su*ker into these waters and it's spreading west. And the russians have no understanding of the Norwegian vue. If we start "cleaning up" the crabs, they're gonna start a huge overfishing of the voulnerable atlantic cod in the area.

It's a no win situation for us!

KOMPRESSOR:
This is wrong info. I don't know were you Americans hear these stories, but I suppose it has something to do with lack of reading newspapers with REAL news :06: JUST KIDDING! (Are you still afraid the "commies" gonna invade?!)

However, the "carpet" of thousands of spawning crabs are for real every year outside the northernmost coasts of Norway (Finnmark County).

And neither the Norwegian or Russian fishing industry can catch freely this well paid plague! But this is due to silly fishery agreements between Norway and Russia, not military installations. The Russians put this "little" su*ker into these waters and it's spreading west. And the russians have no understanding of the Norwegian vue. If we start "cleaning up" the crabs, they're gonna start a huge overfishing of the voulnerable atlantic cod in the area.

It's a no win situation for us!
Actually I'm French (but live in the US). The program that I saw was on French TV. And the comment about the nuclear content of the subs leaking into the area and the size of the crabs was only pure half-witted speculation on my part. Sorry I don't use emoticons...

plongeursousmarin:
Actually I'm French (but live in the US). The program that I saw was on French TV. And the comment about the nuclear content of the subs leaking into the area and the size of the crabs was only pure half-witted speculation on my part. Sorry I don't use emoticons...

C'est tres bien!
Vous connais les americans... -And my joke about the newspapers as well!
But no, the size of these monsters is very natural and very real. It has nothing to do with nuclear waste either, and for that I'm glad! Anyway, we're going up there (To Kirkenes) in May. If we get any UW-pics we'll certainly post them on our website and link here!

www.dykketur.com

Windminstrel:
How the heck do you catch those monsters without getting your fingers pinched off? And what kind of bag do you need to carry 'em up??

I'd like an answer to this question too. I have visions of trying to catch these things being like wrestling with the jaws of life..... Short of using a spear, how would you go about this?

R..

I just want to go, I'll figure out the wrestling later. :D

Diver0001:
I'd like an answer to this question too. I have visions of trying to catch these things being like wrestling with the jaws of life..... Short of using a spear, how would you go about this?

R..

Ask me after May 18., then maybe I know...

From what I've been tolf you just grab if from behind. But I suppose if you do so, it will be the only thing you do on that dive. Since the only thing you can eat in these is the white meat in legs and claws, my plan is to kill it under water with a knife and just brake it apart. Maybe then I can bring more with me up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom