Kit included. Mmm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard from the school now, and I can take some or all of my own kit no problems.
However, the stuff they provide is (I believe from what I have read) perfectly adequate for the job. I also cant help thinking that spare stuff is usefull.
Here I go again, arguing round and round in circles with myself.
Think I will get a breakdown of costs : if they take of substantially less from the price than it would cost me to buy the gear, then I will go with what is provided. If they dont, mmm, still not sure (doh)

Why not do your instructor locally? If that's where you plan to be diving. Save the money and buy good gear, take your time, and get instruction that will actually benefit you anywhere as opposed to just warm water locations. You'd be able to build your kit the way that works best for you and do it over time so that you don't end up with a lot of useless stuff.

I plan on doing my diving where I finish my training, not in the uk. I like warm water and weather. We don't have either here :-(

I wouldnt call this an internship as that would imply they are hiring you on and you dont have to pay anything and they will teach via OJT (on the job training).

So its essentially a school. You are paying your money and therefore are the one in power. They are the service provider and should be able to make adjustments for their customers. If not, find another school. Seriously.

I, like you, would not want any of that gear. I like to research my gear purchases, feel them then decide before I order it online.

I think you may end up saving yourself even more $ if you do more research on schools if this one doesnt let you get your own gear. I hear that there are places in Florida that will teach you in less than 1 month..

If I go diving with these then I am gonna buy my own kit : they have no problem with this, and at the end of the day I have expensive tastes ( especially when it comes to a reg .. can't be too good really), so their stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Cheers guys :)

Our internship program, like some out there, include a complete entry-level set. Ours is a bit better than that listed by the OP, as we only use Scubapro, Aqua-Lung and Mares (and Suunto.)

Basically, we offer, in our standard price, a competant entry level set that is comprised of the same gear that most dive centers use for rental -- R190 reg, Mares Volo Race full-foot fins (which actually are better than rental quality) and Suunto Gekko computers (good for 80%+ of divers really).

What we then do is allow interns to upgrade from that set selectively by letting them pay the difference between the standard and upgrade with discounts up to 20%. Example is here:
www.divinginstructortraining.com/equipment/

We, of course, discount the internship price if you'd prefer to use your own kit.

The question about masks is interesting, but the fact is if you use a standard rental mask, it fits most people. All our interns try on all the gear when they arrive and if a maks doesn't fit, they are offered a couple of alternate choices that reqauire no additional payment.

Everyone thinks they can do career development internships, but only a few (like us) do it right. Best to explore all your options.

If I go diving with these then I am gonna buy my own kit : they have no problem with this, and at the end of the day I have expensive tastes ( especially when it comes to a reg .. can't be too good really), so their stuff just doesn't do it for me.

Cheers guys :)

Must be nice.

Someone should explain the definition of internship to the scuba industry.

Jeff -- Actually its you (and probably others) who need to be explained to.

The intership moniker, at least in the case as we and Mermaid's and likely others use it, is corret.

Yes, you pay for courses, but NOT for the unlimited diving. Every day for months at a time diving is provided free. In exchange for the free diving, you are expected to assist customers, lead dives and assist with courses.

Work for experience = Internship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom