Knee Replacement :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Glad I found this thread!!!! I am 4 weeks and 5 days into my brand new knee. :) and let me repeat: :) I am still trying to transition to OTC for pain management but that is hit and miss. Every day is a little better. Working hard at PT since day after surgery. My knee is barely at 100 and that is pushing it, but I bet by next week, it will be there and more. I am determined 65 yo who is only 3 years into my diving adventures and not ready to throw in the fins. I have not been able to exit the water with my gear on from the beginning because I started with knee issues. Will I ever get to that? In my world anything is possible. I will start in the pool tomorrow for my first attempt at swimming and water exercises.

I am glad I read this thread as it never occurred to me that putting my fins on might be an issue. Another reason to work harder at PT. I am still using my cane when I am moving around because without that, my walking gait is not good. The therapist is concerned that I develop good strong walking gait from the beginning or I will develop hip and back issues. There is also a "possible issue" of one leg being a little longer than the other. Hoping that when all of the swelling is finally gone, the length difference will be gone too.

We are planning a dive trip to Big Island in mid July. I will be 4 months post op. My surgeon said 3 months, so I am giving him (and myself) some "grace". I have the benefit of a wonderful husband/ dive buddy that is "a little younger", an excellent diver and very physically fit. In between I will put on the wet suit and do some local snorkeling (I don't dive here because I don't like cold water.) I will probably go over the the LDS and practice my "giant stride" just to get the anxiety of that out of the way.... I will take the "nestea plunge" over the giant stride any day.

Someone said something about the pressure of depth and a KR> That concerns me... does anyone have any more information on that? I am happiest at 70 and above, but sometimes those swim throughs will deposit you at 80+

If any one has any more advice, please bring it on. Thanks to all who post on this thread!

Someone said something about the pressure of depth and a KR> That concerns me... does anyone have any more information on that? I am happiest at 70 and above, but sometimes those swim throughs will deposit you at 80+
I have never noticed any effect at all associated with pressure and depth, but I have so far never taken mine below 315 feet.

I have never noticed any effect at all associated with pressure and depth, but I have so far never taken mine below 315 feet.

Agree, have been to 50-60 m and no issues to date regarding depth

Someone said something about the pressure of depth and a KR> That concerns me... does anyone have any more information on that? I am happiest at 70 and above, but sometimes those swim throughs will deposit you at 80.

Hi Frannie,

There are no concerns regarding the pressure effect of depth per se on the post-KR diver at any conceivable scuba depth.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

FrannieC,

I am now 4 months 2 weeks post op. I have a normal walking gait and I'm not taking pain meds. I don't seem to have issues carrying weight.

My chief problem is that my knee stiffens up when standing for long periods of time or when slowly walking through a museum.

One bit of self therapy I use is to flex my operated leg with my fellow leg. I do this in bed, lying on the side of the operated upon leg after I am warm and relaxed. This helped increase my flexing range.

I am happy to report that I did go to the pool last weekend and managed all of my exercises in the pool and then after I warmed up I was able to put on my fins (alone!!) and swam 20+ laps with my fins and snorkel. I was so elated I almost cried! Throughout this week I continued with more land exercises, adding squats and I was able to bicycle for 10 min. Thanks for all your input.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2014 at 03:05 PM ----------

FrannieC,

One bit of self therapy I use is to flex my operated leg with my fellow leg. I do this in bed, lying on the side of the operated upon leg after I am warm and relaxed. This helped increase my flexing range.

What a great idea! I am also really having problems with stiffness.

FrannieC,

It was nearly two months post-op before I was able to get my knee anywhere near 120 degrees. Keep working at it, all this will be slow incremental progress. If you make rapid progress it will be really painful.

I have one friend, who had bilateral replacements (OMG!) who had his "progress" assisted by the his ortho when he was not perceived as attaining enough range. Another friend had little trouble with flexing, she has 135 degrees now (jealous) but did have a lot of trouble getting her leg completely straight. I was able to straighten my leg completely within two weeks. Some of your range is edema limited and that will take most of the first three months to subside.

I very much appreciate all the information, thank you! And thinking ahead (way ahead.... :wink: , what if any changes will there be in weighting? Are the new knees heavier?

I very much appreciate all the information, thank you! And thinking ahead (way ahead.... :wink: , what if any changes will there be in weighting? Are the new knees heavier?

Not heavier, just more expensive.

Hi Frannie,

There are no concerns regarding the pressure effect of depth per se on the post-KR diver at any conceivable scuba depth.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Glad to hear... when I read that info to my husband he gave me the "are you nuts" look that I get sometimes... glad to have your post to tell him that once again, he's right. Thanks a lot.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2014 at 12:51 PM ----------

Not heavier, just more expensive.

Funny you brought that up. I asked at the surgeon's office if I could attribute any weight gain to the new knee.... I was seriously curious because the prototype they had in the office felt heavy but it was "connected" to other artificial "parts"... the response was that there is no weight gain that can be attributed to the TKR prosthetic, however how much you eat while you are recuperating could be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom