Knee Replacement :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had my TKR 9 years ago. A few weeks ago I was climbing the ladder on the back of the dive boat without giving that knee a second thought. I was wearing steel LP 108 doubles, a heavy canister light, etc. Before I did that, I got off the boat, and to do that I had to carry all that gear plus two decompression tanks to the back of the boat and jump in.

A few days ago I was carrying that gear to and from the edge of the water next to the opening of the cave in which I was diving. Again, I never gave the knee a thought.

A coworker had a knee replacement 6 months ago, even with some serious complications he's walking around fine today. But if you have difficulty catching your breath after surgery don't ignore it.

My wife had her tkr a year plus a few months ago. Great (expensive!) surgeon who was brutal about her pt script. Especially about getting the bend. Pt kept discharging her and her dr kept sending her back to get more. WAY worth the effort. Bonaire 5 months after - no issues, summer racing on our boat and Curacao a few months ago. Her bend and balance are way better than before! Push your pt to push you more. Will pay off. Good luck!

Thank you all so much! Another fear (woke up this am thinking about it): what about going in and out from sloping sandy shore? My knees have always been bad, so my technique (sic) getting in has been to walk in, float on my back in sitting position,
and put my full foot fins on in the water. But not sure that will work without twisting the knee? Getting out, I have been beaching myself, sitting up, taking off fins, then tirning over to kneel and standing up. That is probably not good after TKR?
What do you all do?
Thanks!

Really sorry to hear this! I am young, therefore have not had knee replacements, but I have had both of my ACLs reconstructed.
In terms of how diving will affect a knee that has been "under the knife" recently, you will be absolutely amazed....since you are virtually weightless in water, diving will be great rehab and it will most certainly take your mind off of what you are going through on dry land!
Like others have said, range of motion is key with anything pertaining to the knee. Be incredibly disciplined when it comes to therapy and PUSH YOURSELF! Not to a point where it hurts, but definitely to a point where you can feel your body working hard.
As I like to say, this is just a bump in the road. You will get through this, while simultaneously doing something you love...good luck! :)

I had TKR right side in 2013.

The knee twist removing your fins will likely not cause you anymore problems than it does when putting them on. I would suggest that instead of beaching, sitting, then having to stand up, you should remove your fins at a point just where your feet touch the bottom. This permits you to remove your fins, vertically supported by your BCD, then walk out of the water. I cross my legs to brace them both when donning and removing my fins. You may want to consider adding a rubber tab to the heel cup of your full foot fins. This could be pop riveted on. It would give better leverage to quickly strip your fins off.

Thank you all for the encouragement, advice, and experiences! I go for my "knee class" Monday.
:snorkels:

Good luck and let us know how you go

Discuss all of this with your PT. They will help you work on special needs. My wife did stairs with a weighted backpack to help get ready for our Bonaire trip. I also replaced her fin straps with bungees. Much easier on and off!

Spring loaded fin clips are the way to go. All my fins now have them. I coudnt cope with plain straps and I continue to wonder why they make the cheap straps when for a small amount more, the spring loaded straps are so much better to use, more reliable, always hold firm.

I know, the rubber straps are cheaper by a few dollars. But they are so much more trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom