Knee Replacement :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a lot of misinformation regarding this. My GP was dead set against my having a knee replacement for years because he said I was too young (late 50s then). He said knee relacements only last 10-15 years and can be repaired only once. When I finally decided to get it done, I asked the surgeon I selected how long it would last. He said he had no idea, because he had only been doing the surgery for 20 years.

My doc said sort of the same thing....conventional wisdom (10-15 years) vs. what he's been seeing (longer). I have to admit when I first went to see the surgeon I had done some pre-lim research....need to go back to see him again before making a final decision to discuss these and other factors.

This afternoon has consisted of mapping out my calendar between now and the end of next year...and pinpointing time windows when I can be out of work for 2-3 weeks.

Main barrier at the moment is a family trip to Belize in Dec......so may wait until after that so as not to jeopardize

How much and what kind of diving have you done post surgery?

How much and what kind of diving have you done post surgery?
I took up diving during the worst of my knee pain because I could no longer do the sports that had created the problem. I was a fairly active diver before the surgery, even getting to be an OW instructor.

Since the surgery, I have logged maybe a thousand dives. I became a tech diver and then a cave diver very soon after the surgery, and I am currently a tech instructor. I have walked to the back of dive boats and jumped in the water while carrying carrying double LP steel 108s, an AL 80, and a couple AL 40s. The knee doesn't give a murmur of protest under those conditions.

That is awesome to hear....and impressive to do all that starting in late 50s :)

How long between surgery and diving...and what kind of shape were you in before surgery?

That is awesome to hear....and impressive to do all that starting in late 50s :)

How long between surgery and diving...and what kind of shape were you in before surgery?
I was in pretty good shape prior to the surgery, and I worked faithfully on rehab. I was diving within a few months.

My better half had a partial knee replacement last July at age 46 and was happily diving during a planned trip in Dec. (He was in a road accident at a young age which led to the seemingly "early" knee replacement.) While I am an athletic person, he is not. However, he was incredibly dedicated to PT from the get go which made a huge difference in his recovery and functionality. Best wishes for the most smooth recovery possible, large_diver, and for continued good healing, FishCity.

Wife and I dove Bonaire 4.5 months after her tkr last year. Dr would have cleared her at 3 as she was a maniac in PT. Bot diving she took off her rig and didn't climb the ladder with it on. Shore diving we chose sites for easier access. She was in ok shape before, but the quads in that leg had really atrophied due to messed up gait. That took a lot of work to build back up. She also comments often about how much stronger the new knee is!! Ice, ice ice in my lay opinion is key to quicker recovery. Keep that swelling to a minimum. The hospital sent us home with a portable unit. Fill it with ice and water and wrap the cuff around the knee. Lasted like 5-6 hours. Also had a cpm machine for a couple of weeks which is real nice. If you are planning on coming directly home after surgery as opposed to a rehab facility I think it makes sense to have these things at home.

Yes, ice is your friend! I am lying here with my Ice machine on right now. I probably should use it more often as I get more active around the house. Dragging a swollen leg messes up my gait. Gait is very important and I have to unlearn bad patterns from before.
Aloha for now!

Definitely thumbs up on the ice. I had some swelling problems with my 2nd knee, and ice was definitely my best friend for a few weeks. I had my right knee done 6/14 and my left 9/14, and backrolled off the boat in Cozumel Christmas Eve, no problems. I was encouraged to start doing the home PT routines a month before surgery, and worked them pretty hard, and I think that helped a lot, both getting the muscles strengthened before hand, and making the exercises a routine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom