Lake Pleasant Conditions II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hello i am one of the Ed's as scubajfc calls us. SCUBAholicEd is my dad/dive buddy. Well this is my two cents. i have never heard of a lake being closed to diving. i have heard of them making a spot for divers only but still allowing you to use the rest of the lake. take for example lake mead. i fell just because we are a small group of people does not mean we cant take effort to try and make our sport just a little more safe. you don't see mean people walking to places but they still have cross walks and sines for pedestrians crossing. I fell the best answer is sines of awareness. i think it should be a little funny like a conic to make it more Interesting so it will get the needed attention..

Last edited:
Hi All - I sent an email to Lake Pleasant and received the following reply (to which I replied).

Thanks, Ruth!

I think several dive shops would be interested in hosting a booth. I will pass along your comments and mark my calendar to followup for next year.

I look forward to hearing more about the signs and web. Lake Pleasant is a great place!

Take care, c.

Cindy Fox

From: Ruth McCormick - PARKSX [mailto:ruthmccormick@mail.maricopa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:28 AM
To: Cindy Fox
Subject: RE: Diver Down Flags

Thank you for your comment. The park understands your concern and shares your interest in keeping our guests safe in the lake. I will forward your email to the park supervisor who will alert the appropriate law enforcement personnel about these issues. She will also make the decision about park signage and web content.

In the meantime, you may be interested to know that Lake Pleasant Regional Park hosts and sponsors the Arizona Safe Boating Celebration where we offer free vessel safety inspections and inform boaters about boating laws and safe boating practices. The park is proud to be the site of the only safe boating celebration in the entire state. This year’s fifth celebration was held on Saturday, May 17th from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and each boat owner who entered the park received the handbook that you reference below.

The committee understands that visual aids raise awareness more quickly than printed literature that may end up in a glove box. Therefore, each year, the committee offers several safety information booths that boat owners may visit while their boat is being inspected. Currently, the celebration does not offer a booth that addresses swimmer or diver safety. If you know of an organization that is interested in hosting such a booth in May 2009, please let me know. Here is the link to the event website for more information: Arizona Safe Boating Celebration

Again, we appreciate your comments and hope that your next experience to the park is safe and more enjoyable.

Ruth McCormick
Maricopa County Parks and Recreation
Lake Pleasant Regional Park
(602) 372-7460, ext. 200
Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 4:07 PM
To: Lake Pleasant Park
Subject: Diver Down Flags

Hello!

I’m a SCUBA diver that frequents Lake Pleasant. Recently there have been a number of incidents of boaters not understanding the diver down flag, including boats motoring directly over divers training underwater. With the number of divers in Lake Pleasant, I’d like to investigate what we, as divers, can do to help inform the boating community of the safety hazards. Some ideas the community has include posting signs at Lake Pleasant boat ramps and including the information on your website.

Would you be agreeable to signs and web addition? If so, are there certain regulations governing sign size and placement or could you order signs and tell us the cost that we might need to raise to support such an effort?

Any ideas you have would be welcome! I’ve attached a suggested sign style. I’d be glad to write up web content if needed.

Please feel free to forward my email to anyone who might be able to help us increase diver safety.

Thank you!

Take care, c.

Cindy Fox
cindyfox@butterflyconsulting.com
Butterfly Consulting LLC
Butterfly Consulting LLC
(602) 692-8923

Did three dives today at Beismeyer Pt. The overcast and minor rain kept people away. It was great. Not crowded at all. Surface temp was 63 and 56 at 65 feet. Vis was 5 to 15 feet. The vis got worse as the day went on. Must been run off building up???
Saw several bass, green sunfish and two flatheads.
Great day of divin' :D

any news on the diver missing lake pleasent in oct. has there been any new work on the case and does anyone know the shop involved.

Back
Top Bottom