laser pointer testimonial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, following the advice from this forum I picked up a red laser pointer to put in my bathroom. And sure enough, I got to try the thing out a few days ago.

Like clockwork, about every late May the last several years I go out to the coast and get sunburned on my face. Also like clockwork, out pops a big fat canker sore (it's my warning to keep SPF chapstick with me at all times!).

So on Thursday I started "applying" the beam to the affected area. 30 seconds per area, per day. Kinda fun, actually.

Following my history, the sore by now SHOULD be a much larger, painful, weeping thing that frightens off small children. But to MY GLEE, it's stuck in some early development phase. In fact yesterday I noted it trying to "move" further to the left side of my lower lip. I flashed that area, obviously.

I'll keep up with this regimen to see if it can hold the thing off... I'm very optimistic with the results so far. This is just SO COOL! This laser pointer's going with me to the Bahamas!

have you tried Abreva and taking lysine??? try it at the first itch...and the results are amazing. The sun is also a trigger for me...and it works like a charm.

i even start taking lysine before a trip...it has helped greatly.

archman,

Hurrah! I'm not a quack! At my practice the laser pointer is amazing. It usually stops cold sores in their tracks (when caught early enough).

BTW, a canker sore and a cold sore are different. The cold sore (herpes labalis) is causes by a virus (herpes simplex). It generally affects only the keratinized oral tissues...lips, top of the tongue, gums. It does not affect the mucous membranes of the insides of the cheeks, under the tongue and the insides of the lips. The viral infection is stimulated to recur following exposure to an injuring agent like the sun, wind, salt, or illness and fever, or, on occasion, trauma. After the primary infection, recurrent bouts usually involve the same area time after time. It is contagious so be careful...infection is for life.

The canker sore is not caused by a virus...although it can be associated with trauma, stress, food allergies, etc., but it not caused by an infective agent. This lesion affects mucous membranes rather than keratinized tissue...the opposite of the viral infection. An ulcer is formed that becomes rather painful. There is a raised, red margin with a depressed ulcer that has a yellowish grey—whitish membrane. If the membrane is rubbed off, a reddish or bleeding surface is left. This will not resond to antibiotics well and will resolve in a week to 10 days by itself. Trauma from the snorkel or regulator can cause an abrasion to the lips that can turn into a canker sore.

The laser pointer can be used on either. Generally, I find that the laser on the viral lesion is very effective if caught before any scabs have appeared. It is about 70% effective for canker sores. It is used the same way for either lesion.

Canker sores can be treated another way...take a Q-tip..."spin it" on the ulcer membrane to reveal the red or bleeding surface. Then apply anything from betadine, peroxide, iodine, (not to be used if allergic to any of these agents) to the open ulcer. Yeah, this part hurts a little...SUCK IT UP! This will usually accelerate the healing. The laser, in addition to the debridement, will help.

I have NO experience treating lesions caused by multiple exposures to sun and the elements that results in recurrent viral sores. I have no idea if treatment on one day to prevent a cold sore will be effective the next day when you re-expose yourself to the same causal elements. You tell me—I would be interested to know.

00scuba is correct, L-lysine or Abreva may help. The L-lysine is taken like a daily vitamin in persons susceptible to cold sores. If you wait till after you get the cold sore, it won't do much good. The Abreva is used once a sore is present and may decrease the healing time. Either treatment has variable effectiveness. IMHO, L-lysine daily is a better choice for those who get these sores on a regular basis...ie, during mentruation.

The dosage of the L-lysine is variable...use the lowest dose you can find once daily. Some people report diarrhea. VERY IMPORTANT: YOU MUST USE L-LYSINE. If you happen to find D-lysine, it will not work. The D and L designations refer to stereoisomers of the same compound...they have the same chemical formula but are "mirror images" of each other. The shape of the compound determines whether it is biologically active. L-lysine is active but not D-lysine.

Again, let me know how the laser works.

Regards,

Laurence Stein, DDS

Yikes, I just read you profile...really nice picture! YOU DON'T LIKE BAD SCIENCE...maybe I'm in too deep here! Actually, if you do a search for low level laser light therapy, some of the references are for dental applications. Low level treatment is also being used for arthritis, inflammatory lesions, etc. You will find the mechanism of action as well...speculative tho it is.

jagfish:
Hey Archman...
That giant cockroach in your bio looks like it is attaching H2Andy!
JAG

Oh crap you're right. Hope I don't get banned...

And it's a pillbug, not a cockroach.

Whoah! :11:
Pillbug or cockroach, I think H2Andy is suffering either way!

Didn't know pillbugs were so ferocious looking up close. Glad i'm "up here"...

JAG

archman:
So on Thursday I started "applying" the beam to the affected area. 30 seconds per area, per day. Kinda fun, actually.
Can someone explain the science behind this one? It sounds like the only useful application for a laser pen I've come across, aside from a way to torment my cat.

Oh, I don't know, cats only...
It's pretty good for tormenting drunks on the street at night as well.
Used to provide hours of fun from my 6th floor balcony in San Diego...

I actually thought that use as an underwater pointer had some potential. Wonder if it would be damaging if you shined into a fish's eyes by accident?

JAG

No, I think it would keep on working. Now, shining it in a shark's eyes, THAT might be damaging...

gchapman,

Hi,

Here is a link for low level laser therapy in Dentistry:

http://www.laser.nu/lllt/Laser_therapy_ in_dentistry.htm

Before this discussion continues ( I find it very interesting) let me say that when I read the different sites, some of information is so remarkable that I immediate think Quack!

I want to make it clear that I believe that there are those out there on the net that will say anything to make a buck. I do not charge my patients for the laser treatment. If it works, it works. If it doesn't...well, they will heal up on time with no treatment.

Take anything you read from me or anyone else on this topic with a grain of salt. I personally believe that there is a place for this type of treatment but even I am skeptical of some of the claims.

Regards,

Larry Stein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom