laser pointer testimonial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most laser pointers are Class IIIa 1mW-5mW diode lasers that operate at 675nm, 650nm, or 635nm (there are some Class IIIb 532nm (green) lasers pointers that operate at powers up to 20mW). The shorter the wavelength, the higher the price and the higher the apparent brightness due to the sensitivy of the eye. Now... I wonder how the effectivness varies for various power outputs and between the 675/650/635nm pointers?

The red laser is the color that seems to work with the cold sores. 620-680 nanometers.

The laser pointers available at most stores are battery operated and produce LESS than .5mW. 20mW is 40 times more energy. The red lasers are about $20 US—which is cheaper than the Rx for the same problem and no side effects.

Keep in mind that while this photo therapy works, nearly all research indicates that after a certain amount of exposure, you start to get an inhibition of healing rather than a stimulation of healing. The higher mWattage produces its result in shorter time...how close it is to producing inhibition is unknown to me. In general, when using the <.5mW red laser, you want all parts of the cold sore to be exposed for thirty seconds. On larger sores, this means moving the spot around for several minutes. You also want to overlap the laser spot onto healthy tissue. Once or twice a day is enough. Once an hour is too much.

I don't know for sure if green color light will work although I saw an article that seemed to indicate that many colors can produce positive results...I just don't know if it applies directly to treating herpetic lesions.

Hope this helps.

Larry Stein

Laurence Stein DDS:
The red laser is the color that seems to work with the cold sores. 620-680 nanometers.

The laser pointers available at most stores are battery operated and produce LESS than .5mW.
Most of the pointers I've seen have been class IIIa, which I find surprising. They would need to be class I or II to be considred eye safe (fortunately the standards are very conservative). I think that a 0.5 mW would be class I, which is rather dark for an effective pointer.

In case anyone is interested.

Class I -- completely eye safe.
Class II -- blink response is sufficient to protect the eye. Class II only applies to visible lasers
Class III -- direct beam is unsafe, viewing diffuse reflection is safe.
Class IV -- you don't want to know about, diffuse reflection can blind you.

Ralph

The IIIa pointer is plenty bright in seminars...even if the room is not dark. On a brightly sunlit day, it is dim but then again you are probably not giving a seminar with a powerpoint presentation on the dive boat.

Direct viewing can injure the eye so don't treat "eye herpes" :11:

Larry Stein

Laurence Stein DDS:
Direct viewing can injure the eye so don't treat "eye herpes" :11:Larry Stein

Favorite sign at a place I used to work in a past life:

CAUTION: Do not look at laser with remaining eye.

:wink:

Laurence Stein DDS:
The IIIa pointer is plenty bright in seminars...even if the room is not dark. On a brightly sunlit day, it is dim but then again you are probably not giving a seminar with a powerpoint presentation on the dive boat.
Sure a IIIa is bright enough (that's why it's used), but it also is well above the 0.5 mW incorrectly indicated as the power of a typical pointer.

Ralph

Er...what is the correct power rating? I was under the impression that it was correct as listed on the device.

Larry Stein

My above post has the correct information. IIIa 1mW-5mW

Thanks guys,

I stand corrected. I checked the pointer I have at home. Is is a Class IIIa rated at 4mW. What I don't understand is that the pointers I seem to remember being rated at <.5mW. Either I'm going blind, having a senior moment or they did have that rating.

Sooooo...simply use the Class IIIa pointers as stated. You shouldn't be looking into them...at .5mW or 5mW

Regards,
Larry Stein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom