Last Minute Trip to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi dirtfarmer

I am headed to Buceo Anilao May 23 to Jun 2nd.. Anything I should know before hand to make the visit better.. I also have a non-diver wife..

Joe

Just to give couple of examples on the cost of one way transportation(private or public):
Anilao(>US$100.00 or US$10.00).
Puerto Galera(~US$130.00 or US$35.00). You can easily find places offering 3 dives for around US$100.00 there!

WOW! That's a huge difference, o.k. I'll be going public transportation.

I've narrowed it down to Anilao & Puerto Galera this trip. It seems easier to go to Puerto Galera first via Si-Kat and with a couple of nights prebooked and figure out plans from there? Only worry is, it's peak season. Or would someone suggest doing this the other way around?

Public transport to Anilao seems like a whole other can of worms!

Now to look at hotels suggested, thanks dirtfarmer at first glance Buceo looks nice, I'll look into it more.

Cheers!

Lol, I have always known Indonesia had some of the best diving in the world and I'm glad to hear you agree (I thought I was just biased). I've been very lucky to have been able to dive most of Indonesia.
Ho humm... as a regular in both Indonesia and Philippines 3 times a year, i have hard times comparing the diving of a 14.000 islands archipelago to the diving to another 7700 archipelago without comparing SPECIFIC spots.
Is Raja Ampat better than Apo island... yes certainly, that said I would state that diving Balicasag is better anytime than Pulau Weh, Lombok or Maumere.

I think diving in the Philippines pertains more to specialized interest diving, I don't see any other places in Indonesia that would cater for so many and easy to spot whale sharks as in Donsol or Oslob, such a huge sardine school than in Moalboal, as many chances to spot thresher sharks than Malapascua or an array of various sharks including tigers and hammerheads than Tubbataha. Also when looking for really interesting nudibranches, Anilao and Romblon are on the top list.

Another good thing about the PI is that diving has got cheaper than in most of Indonesia (incredible how the prices rised in Bali and N/Sulawesi these past 3-4 years) and that I find better and more involved dive guides in the PIs than in Indonesia.

... But overall my favorite spots are still located in Indonesia... just to prevent from too broad comparisons...

Hi dirtfarmer

I am headed to Buceo Anilao May 23 to Jun 2nd.. Anything I should know before hand to make the visit better.. I also have a non-diver wife..

Joe
The water temp can be a bit chilly and the dives long, I added a hood and vest to my gear before my trip there and they helped keep me warm. Also a macro lens if you don't have one. My wife entertained herself doing yoga and surfing the net by the pool while I was diving.

I'm heading to Philippines the same dates as the OP and can't wait to dive with the whale sharks in Oslob. I'm really looking forward to that as it's one thing I have never dove with before.

I'm going to Philippines mainly for the top-life, but may see what El Nido and Malapascua have to offer.

I'm going to Philippines mainly for the top-life, but may see what El Nido and Malapascua have to offer.
Diving in El Nido is very ordinary luckily Malapascua is the opposite.

it's peak season. Or would someone suggest doing this the other way around?

Public transport to Anilao seems like a whole other can of worms!

Now to look at hotels suggested, thanks dirtfarmer at first glance Buceo looks nice, I'll look into it more.

Cheers!
1. I would do the same ie. PG first and Anilao afterwards.
2. Public transfer from Batangas to Anilao is easy. Pay an extra seat if travel with bulky bag in the jeepney. The most expensive way is by private banca from PG all the way to Anilao. Please enquire with the dive operator.
3. In PG, please contact Blue Ribbon, Frontier or South Sea.
4. A lot of photographers recommend Club O in Anilao.

Hi,
If you are considering Puerto Galera then maybe we can help you. Marco Vincent dive resort is based on White Beach which is 20 mins away from PG town. We can come and pick you up from there if you wish. We can fit in with any dive schedule that you like as we offer 3/4 dives a day. Have a look at our website www.mvdive.com and I'll be happy to help you with any questions that you have.

Kind regards
Kris

...I think diving in the Philippines pertains more to specialized interest diving, I don't see any other places in Indonesia that would cater for so many and easy to spot whale sharks as in Donsol or Oslob, such a huge sardine school than in Moalboal, as many chances to spot thresher sharks than Malapascua or an array of various sharks including tigers and hammerheads than Tubbataha. Also when looking for really interesting nudibranches, Anilao and Romblon are on the top list.

Another good thing about the PI is that diving has got cheaper than in most of Indonesia (incredible how the prices rised in Bali and N/Sulawesi these past 3-4 years) and that I find better and more involved dive guides in the PIs than in Indonesia.

... But overall my favorite spots are still located in Indonesia... just to prevent from too broad comparisons...

Luko - Diving is such a personal experience, but I found that the health of the coral reefs, coral and fish diversity, and schooling fish are perhaps greater in the eastern Indonesia than at Tubbataha. On many dives in P. Seram and southern Raja Ampat, baits balls and pelagic are not uncommon. I have a question - if my wife and I were going to return to Malapascua, what dive centre would you suggest? Good point about the price difference between PI and Indonesia. best, charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom