Last Minute Trip to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Full disclosure, I mostly dive and work in Indonesia. After only a few recreational dive trips to the Philippines, including a LOB at Tubahata, there is much more pristine coral, healthy fish populations, and less people in Indonesia. Unless you really want to travel, Indoneisa offers a better experience.

Where do you recommend in Indonesia?

Good question, but first - tell us about your diving experience, types of dives that you enjoy, past dive challenges, comfort level underwater, and travel experiences in remote areas where you do not speak the local language. Best...

I have a question - if my wife and I were going to return to Malapascua, what dive centre would you suggest?
It's been quite a time since the last time I was in Malpascua, the operation I used was Exotic island, where I even dived with Doug Perrine the famous shark photographer.
At the time they had one of the best guides of the island, but I wouldn't dare recommend now since it's really been a while.

Exotic is probably the biggest player on the island. They have been around for many yrs and has developed beyond recognition. I can still remember the time when Martin was around. The problem with Exotic is the SIZE of the operation ie. too many divers.
Its next door neighbour, Evolution, is better if prefer small group. And its restaurant is definitely better.

Hi,
If you are considering Puerto Galera then maybe we can help you. Marco Vincent dive resort is based on White Beach which is 20 mins away from PG town. We can come and pick you up from there if you wish. We can fit in with any dive schedule that you like as we offer 3/4 dives a day. Have a look at our website www.mvdive.com and I'll be happy to help you with any questions that you have.
Kind regards Kris

Interesting Kris, So your boats do day trips to Apo Island, Verde Islands and Anilao? Do sea conditions in March usually allow for these?

I have a question - if my wife and I were going to return to Malapascua, what dive centre would you suggest? Good point about the price difference between PI and Indonesia. best, charlie

Charlier, I've been looking at Evolution, check out their site. They seem very professional, the property has many room styles for most budgets and the owner is quick to respond and very knowledgeable.

Luko's earlier post sent me in another direction and I am now looking at Anilao-2nights/PG-5nights/Malapascua-5nights. But if the resorts in PG do day trips to Anilao I may just go that route. Or I'm looking into a speed boat from Anilao to PG, I saw something about that on the web too.

Cheers

Interesting Kris, So your boats do day trips to Apo Island, Verde Islands and Anilao? Do sea conditions in March usually allow for these?

Charlier, I've been looking at Evolution, check out their site. They seem very professional, the property has many room styles for most budgets and the owner is quick to respond and very knowledgeable.

Luko's earlier post sent me in another direction and I am now looking at Anilao-2nights/PG-5nights/Malapascua-5nights. But if the resorts in PG do day trips to Anilao I may just go that route. Or I'm looking into a speed boat from Anilao to PG, I saw something about that on the web too.

Cheers

I contacted Evolution about a possible trip, but given my schedule, it may be difficult. I can fly direct from Singapore to Cebu, so its easier in many ways to flying to Sorong or Ambon from Singapore.

I I can fly direct from Singapore to Cebu, so its easier in many ways to flying to Sorong or Ambon from Singapore.

And it's a heck of a lot cheaper! I was looking at $70 ow from Cebu to Singapore w/20kg included. These days we've got many more options flying throughout Indonesia but the prices are still relatively expensive, and flight times are awful, compared to options in the Philippines and Thailand. I guess it keeps us off the beaten path and when your on a dive boat or resort the fewer tourists around the better.

I agree 100% about the costs of domestic flights in Indonesia. The flights are expensive, flight times are not great and its hard to avoid Jakarta - although I can sometime arrange flights via Makassar. That said, if direct flights are offered from Singapore to Sorong, it would really change the experience in RA. Such flights will only increase diving tourism and increase the number of bubbles in the water. For me, Alor is wonderful (Pantar Is). The travel effort limits the number of divers.

Last edited:
1. There will be surcharge for the trip to Anilao and Verde Island, more so for Anilao.
2. Day trip to Apo Reef is possible if staying at Pandan Island or Northern Coron. It is very far.
3. Anilao + PG + Malapascua will require a lot of travelling. Save the hassle for the next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom