Latest on Cozumel and Hurricane Emily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found this on the web:

"The worst damage on the Yucatan Peninsula was in Puerto Aventuras, where the storm's eye came ashore some 60 miles south of the resort of Cancun and in Tulum, a collection of thatched hut hotels along a secluded strip of beach that is popular with backpackers.

Quintana Roo state officials reported little damage to the ancient pyramids in Tulum or elsewhere, but a team of archaeologists was to inspect sites throughout the state. Tulum's streets were deserted Monday and the village was without electricity, according to officials reached by telephone.

But damage from the hurricane was evident everywhere on the eastern Yucatan's Mayan Riviera, famous for its white-sand beaches and turquoise waters.

Power was knocked out all along the coast. The wind snapped concrete utility poles in two along a half-mile stretch of highway between Playa del Carmen and Cancun to the north. Plate glass windows were shattered on the ground floors of numerous businesses in Playa del Carmen, while residents waded through knee-deep water flooding some streets.

The hurricane's wind speeds soared to as much as 135 mph, making it a fierce Category 4 storm when it slammed into the Yucatan's east coast Sunday. It weakened to Category 2 as it passed over the peninsula early Monday with maximum sustained winds of 100 mph."

In Half Moon Bay proper, damage varies by building. From the initial reports, the more recent construction (when concrete) are less damaged. (Thankfully, mine is one of the newer ones). Many, but not most windows were blown out. Beaches have been messed up of course. CEA has had some building damage. Considering how tight their budget is, there may be a concerted effort to help out.

Because Akumal is sort of end of the road from an infrastructure perspective, I've heard a comment that it could be 4 weeks before power is established.

Then of course: the reef and turtle nesting.....

I will be getting a detailed report tomorrow, and can relay on.

Diana

anybody know what the damage is to oscar y lalos???? just a shot in the dark this is my fav rest in mexico. i saw the map and it looks like emily hit real close to it?

sharky60:
And by the way...what's with all the hostility twards Senor Frogs and Carlos'n'Charlies? Sure they're tourist traps, but this some GREAT people watching.

It makes me cringe that these places are on the island, just as it does when I see 7 cruise ships lined up in port and the town overrun with cruise ship passengers. I don't really understand why you'd even really want to come to Cozumel on a cruise. Sure, a few of them are divers, but most of them just want the all you can eat buffet, a slot machine for their dollars, and cheezy jewelry stores. It cracks me up that these people think they're getting some type of "authentic Mexican isla experience" when most of them never leave the waterfront t-shirt shops and bars. Send the cruise ships to Cancun, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Cayman. Save the cool islands for people who will really appreciate them.

Has anybody heard how the Reef Club is?
My wife and were to fly down last Sat.

I just read on another board, that Occidental Grand and Iberostar were cancelling all reservations for two week and one until mid October. Also Caribe Blu was cancelling this week. They say a week to two for the electricty to come back up. Yuk, I was planning to leave on Sunday. Staying at Cozumelnia, havent heard about them.

fishfry2:
I just read on another board, that Occidental Grand and Iberostar were cancelling all reservations for two week and one until mid October. Also Caribe Blu was cancelling this week. They say a week to two for the electricty to come back up. Yuk, I was planning to leave on Sunday. Staying at Cozumelnia, havent heard about them.

Can you give us a link to the other site that provided this info. We are staying at El Cozumeleno this week and we're trying to find out if it will be able to accomodate us or not. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jarrett:
Can you give us a link to the other site that provided this info. Are you staying at El Cozumeleno this week? Our group is as well and we are trying to find out if it will be able to accomodate us or not. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Ditto for Caribe Blu. I'm supposed to check in on Friday. Thanks in advance!

We are arriving next Monday staying at Hotel Casa Del Mar and by some accounts the biggest concern might be electricity. some say 3 days to 3 weeks for power to be back on :( If anyone hears anything please let us know

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom