Lauderdale By The Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a scuba pro that I typically dive with, but both masks have prescription lenses so that really doesn't matter I guess. The new one is a Tusa which I found out do their own prescription services so the mask was $140 compared to $300+ for the scuba pro which was sent out. But after reading the other forum, I am going to try some soft scrub when I get home. It seems some manufacturers are just worse than others in this regard. Otherwise I actually like the Tusa mask better. It seems to have more visibility (when it's not fogged) than the scuba pro.

Nemrod, Why not buy a "cheap" kayak to paddle out there? At least to the mooring balls are and then swim the rest of the way? Or is the current to strong to get back?

acteg, I was there yesterday. First time there, we dove from Datura. the vis was pretty bad. Real bad at first but as we got out closer to the reef it opened up to maybe 30ft at best. I did see a lot of critters but no Lobster, sharks or turtles. Of course I was also having issues with a new mask fogging up constantly so I may have had a 15ft great white in front of my face and just not seen him. haha.

I have used my kayak there in the past, it is a superb kayak dive site and that is the best way to get to that area. But, this trip down I flew instead of driving so I could not get the kayak into the carry on much as I tried.

I am not sure I understand why only use the kayak to the mooring balls and then swim the rest of the way, if I had a kayak I would go all the way on the yak. Yeah, there could be current there but if I can swim it then a kayak would have no issue. Yes, there can be signficant current on the deep break. You might want to add a cell phone in a waterproof bag, depends on how good a swimmer you are :wink:.

Hey, just because I can do something or have done something do not take it as a recommendation for everyone to do the same, all I am saying is that it is possible. Evaluate YOUR capabilities and the sea state and conditions and YOU make the decision. I, have no difficulty swimming that distance or being in the water that long. As long as I am not cold, I am good to go and I have gone much further than that.

More than once dive boats have tried to pick me up thinking I am lost from another boat. Sure, I will take a ride, out, not in, lol :). Well, OK, in also if I am done diving, but what fun is that?

N

HAHA. I was thinking of even renting one once you got down here, but yeah, I could see how it might be a problem fitting in the overhead bin.

As for only taking it as far as the mooring balls, I was just thinking that it might be a hassle trying to tow it along between a possible wind and the currents up higher pulling the yak which in turn would pull you along. And then there is the almost certain idiot that will go by in a boat and say "oh look, someone lost a nice kayak. Let me take it home." and try pulling it into their boat even with your dive flag tied to it and your dive line below it.

HAHA. I was thinking of even renting one once you got down here, but yeah, I could see how it might be a problem fitting in the overhead bin.

As for only taking it as far as the mooring balls, I was just thinking that it might be a hassle trying to tow it along between a possible wind and the currents up higher pulling the yak which in turn would pull you along. And then there is the almost certain idiot that will go by in a boat and say "oh look, someone lost a nice kayak. Let me take it home." and try pulling it into their boat even with your dive flag tied to it and your dive line below it.

Kayaks are easy to tow and you of course would have a dive flag on it. I have no real problems either with idiots or currents with mine.

Where the white balls are located is still shallow and not much current, it is still a long swim or even a fairly long kayak paddle to the deep break. If there was a current, you would just drift with it, no way to fight some of the currents you encounter in this area. Without a yak, you might find a long walk back down the beach on tap if not careful of the current, those would be the days to stay in on the white balls.

Not an expert here, I have made probably, oh, three dozen dives here, most swimming, the rest with my kayak. You do need to be aware of boats but thus far my only encounters with boats up close were the dive boats that tried to pick me up.

N

Where the white balls are located is still shallow and not much current, it is still a long swim or even a fairly long kayak paddle to the deep break.

I've only diven LBTS a relatively few times and still wonder how far out this "deep break" is. How deep is the water there? I've typically gone no further than about one and a half "pier lengths", although I did make it out to where some boats were anchored the one time started out up in Pompano - where there are even *fewer* parking spots. That *was* a pretty interesting site, looking significantly different from anything I'd seen at LBTS.

I've only diven LBTS a relatively few times and still wonder how far out this "deep break" is. How deep is the water there? I've typically gone no further than about one and a half "pier lengths", although I did make it out to where some boats were anchored the one time started out up in Pompano - where there are even *fewer* parking spots. That *was* a pretty interesting site, looking significantly different from anything I'd seen at LBTS.

It is about 1.3 miles to the anchor symbol on my map called Anglin Pier. That is what I call the deep break or the third line. Not being a local I may not be using terms currently in vogue, been going down there for 30 years or more. That is from the entrance at Datura Ave. just south of the Commercial Pier. Water depths are 40 to 60 with the east side dropping away.

N

I would strongly recommend that you join the Gold Coast Scuba meetup group, and get with them on one of their shore dives off of Datura. Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup Local knowledge for the first couple dives will get you seeing things others never do. Plus, you will most certainly make friends and be diving with locals. Gold Coast Scuba members dive the site weekly, and are the best resource for information. Their shop will even loan you a flag for your dive if you dont have one. I have seen Hammerhead sharks, Reef Sharks, Nurse Sharks, Stringrays, lobsters, turtles, you name it, all at the mooring balls. Either way, be prepared for a long (20 min at least) swim out to the end of the Commerical pier, where you can then swim about the same distance again to the mooring balls. Once you reach the mooring balls, continue another 50 yards or so east, and you should reach a drop off. This is where the REAL action is. A kayak makes shorter work of it, but diving off a Kayayak has its own skill set and you may or may not know how to do this without a lot of effort. Oh and whatever you do, PLEASE pay attention to boat traffic. When surfacing, always listen for boats. If you even THINK you hear a boat, do not surface. If you are on the surface and a boat is approaching do not assume that they will see you, its likely they will not. Be prepared to descend rapidly in this case. I happen to have met and know the individual in the thread below. He surfaced because he heard a boat, but thought it was far away. It turned out to be a very small boat moving very quickly. Not to put a black cloud on your trip, but everyone should be aware of the danger when shore diving in South Florida Carry a flag, and stay near it. Also if you use a flag that comes apart in two pieces, be sure to have the pieces tied together. A friend got a ticket this past weekend after he submerged his dive flag, and was left with a styrofoam float on the surface. Cop told him that if he had the other half he would have let him slide even though it may have fallen apart and not flown properly... Go figure.. I had one of those flags, and I glued the two pieces together so it would not come apart at all.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/398069-florida-diver-struck-boat.html

Last edited:
It is about 1.3 miles to the anchor symbol on my map called Anglin Pier. That is what I call the deep break or the third line. Not being a local I may not be using terms currently in vogue, been going down there for 30 years or more. That is from the entrance at Datura Ave. just south of the Commercial Pier. Water depths are 40 to 60 with the east side dropping away.

N

I would like to go back and do some more dives there. I too have only gone out slightly farther than the pier is. Looking at the maps it looks like I was still basically on the first reef. I don't really mind the shallow stuff because I like just taking my time and doing some photography so of course the deeper I go the less time I have down and the more critical watching the air is... I need something different to get it there but hopefully I'll have a new vehicle after the holidays this year and I can bring my kayak up there and give it a go out farther.

Has anyone ever done night dives there off the beach?

I would like to go back and do some more dives there. I too have only gone out slightly farther than the pier is. Looking at the maps it looks like I was still basically on the first reef. I don't really mind the shallow stuff because I like just taking my time and doing some photography so of course the deeper I go the less time I have down and the more critical watching the air is... I need something different to get it there but hopefully I'll have a new vehicle after the holidays this year and I can bring my kayak up there and give it a go out farther.

Has anyone ever done night dives there off the beach?

Yes, I have done a night dive there, only to the white balls though. I would not do the long swim at night, to scary even for me, :wink:. I put one of those blinking strobes and some light sticks on my float. I go in just as the sun dips out of sight, not really night yet but by the time I reach the balls it is beginning to get dark. Everything you have been told about boats goes double at night. At least during the day you expect them to see the flag, at night, even with lights, do not count on it. Lights have a way of getting lost in the back ground of the shore lights, a boat skipper may truly not be able to see you.

On my kayak I have actually put the strobe inside the yak, my yak is green so it lights up like a big green UFO :).

N

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom