Law Enforcement Case of the Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do they do with all the tails after they confiscate them? Throw them away?
That's what they are supposed to do. I think they should at least donate them to a shelter or soup kitchen. Who knows, maybe they take them home.

I don't think they'd store them as evidence.

What do they do with all the tails after they confiscate them? Throw them away?

We had an issue years ago about the sanctuary boundary off of Cape FL. They brought the same lobster to court 3 times before everyone agreed, prosecutor, judge, defense and Marine patrol that it wasn't necessary for it to make any more appearances. My buddy was a lawyer and had his compatriots defending us, we got off after a bunch of delays and continuances. They changed some wording in the law so it wouldn't happen again

Giving them to a soup kitchen is a bad idea. They have no idea how long they've been out of the water or how they were stored.

Giving them to a soup kitchen is a bad idea. They have no idea how long they've been out of the water or how they were stored.
That's a good point but I really hate the idea of that much food going to waste. Especially after having seen people eat food out of the garbage.

Shellfish goes bad incredibly quickly. A lot of these people have compromised immune systems already. No need to stress them further.

A good argument for bringing back keel-hauling and bow spritting. The latter of which has the most impact in high seas as they see the wave coming that is going to smack them simple.
I thought they could give them to the operators running shark feeds....

I'd throw them back in deeper water where the critters that scavenge can at least use them for food

Pete,

What happens in cases like this? Are the vessel(s)/vehicle(s) seized as well?

If 1st offense typically a fine of atleast $100 but not to exceed $500. St. atty's don't typically do seizure due to cost / time / return on investment. Currently SB194 & HB47 will correct this if the FWC's half dozen lobbyist get a swift kick in the butt and get this on the 2nd reading calendar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom