LBTS/Dania Area Shore diving 11/20-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep...that ocean sure looks blue out there!!

Feed me with further news tomorrow, i am hopeful!

Last night I went fishing on the pompano pier, the waves were about 1' at the shore line. The swells were about 1 - 2 were we were, and we stayed there until midnight. The forecast is calling for
.SATURDAY...WINDS EAST 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED
SPRINKLES.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...WINDS EAST 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR
LESS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.
.SUNDAY...WINDS EAST 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP

But that's always a toss up.

Considering?? Conditions so far this week?

White caps dont sound promising. We might hit the beach on saturday afternoon as well as sunday - just in case sunday is blown out..... Not sure which place on saturday, but might be around LBTS (north side) after some business at DRE up in Pompano on the way down from the morning dives in Boynton. Will give NOAA one last look before i leave this afternoon.

what are GOOD conditions for diving? i have a trip planned for sunday.. so new to this i'm not sure if 2-3 ft seas is a good thing or a bad thing!

stacey

Scubaguy62:
Last night I went fishing on the pompano pier, the waves were about 1' at the shore line. The swells were about 1 - 2 were we were, and we stayed there until midnight. The forecast is calling for
.SATURDAY...WINDS EAST 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED
SPRINKLES.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...WINDS EAST 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR
LESS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.
.SUNDAY...WINDS EAST 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP

But that's always a toss up.

jisou:
what are GOOD conditions for diving? i have a trip planned for sunday.. so new to this i'm not sure if 2-3 ft seas is a good thing or a bad thing!

stacey
Glad you asked Stacey. In a nutshell, you don't want to dive beyond the limits of your training and experience.

If you've not dived in 2 - 3 foot seas, and you really want to dive, you might just want to dive with an instructor, or DM, so your experience may grow in somewhat of a controlled environment. 2 - 3 foot seas may be nothing to some of us, but it can scare the he!! out of a person who's never done it before. Usually getting in the water isn't the tricky part, it's getting back on the boat that can be complicated.

In this case it would be possibly about 2ft waves at the beach, although i cross my fingers that it isnt that large as the viz will most likely be shot. If you want to come down to the beach wherever we happen to be on those afternoons then you can assess what you think is reasonable. I think in my first few dives i went shore diving off Venice in 2-3 foot surf (Walter - an instructor who is on here, lost his mask that day) - couldnt see much down there viz was about 3". So its all a question of what you think is reasonable to dive given your current experience, what others advise you and what your gut feeling is telling you. Again i am hoping that the seas are marginal at worst to calm (which would be great to see something) both days on the shore. I would say 2ft is marginal :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom