LDS Charging to TRY ON wetsuits???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the $25 charge is rediculous.
Fortunately I don't have to worry about it since I will only fit into a custom made suit.
I get my suits from a custom builder down in Long Beach and his prices are higher than an LDS but the quality of material and craftsmanship is way higher than anything available at any retail outlet be it online or LDS. My suits last twice as long as anything I've ever purchased off the rack. The cost of the suit might be 20 to 25% more initially, but in the long run I save money, plus I know that my money went to a guy in the USA to make it and not some Chinese sweat shop.

You should go to your custom suit maker, have him do all the fitting, measuring, then take the numbers and go to customwetsuitmaker.com and have it made online for 4% less. You shouldn't rock the boat like you are. Apparently it's cool to screw the LDS, as long as the consumer saves a buck that's all the justification required.

When you're as cool as me, you'll copy me and do what I do, I take it to the next level compared to all you amateures. Before I go on a dive trip I go the my LDS, try everything on, play in the pool with it for hours, then I leave it in a wet lump in the dressing room, slip out the back and order everything online. Then when I return from my dive trip I return it all, works great, new dive equipment on every trip, plus I screw the LDS and the online shop, a trifecta of blind consermerism, and puts me leagues ahead of you guys who are just screwing the LDS!

I really don't agree or disagree with this dive shop and their $25 fee, I find it interesting that the state of divers and how they do this type of thing so much has effected the industry so much that dive shops are exploring different methods and techniques such as this one.

It's a simple reaping of what you sow, in my opinion.

Actually a diver has you beat, he just made a thread to borrow the dive gear, and people loaned it to him. I am done buying gear I am just gonna borrow from SB members and find out what I like and my sizes, then ask For what i want.

The other way to avoid this, is buy a suit that is close to what you think, then loose or gain weight to fit in, problem solved.

Happy Diving

You should go to your custom suit maker, have him do all the fitting, measuring, then take the numbers and go to customwetsuitmaker.com and have it made online for 4% less. You shouldn't rock the boat like you are. Apparently it's cool to screw the LDS, as long as the consumer saves a buck that's all the justification required.

When you're as cool as me, you'll copy me and do what I do, I take it to the next level compared to all you amateures. Before I go on a dive trip I go the my LDS, try everything on, play in the pool with it for hours, then I leave it in a wet lump in the dressing room, slip out the back and order everything online. Then when I return from my dive trip I return it all, works great, new dive equipment on every trip, plus I screw the LDS and the online shop, a trifecta of blind consermerism, and puts me leagues ahead of you guys who are just screwing the LDS!

I really don't agree or disagree with this dive shop and their $25 fee, I find it interesting that the state of divers and how they do this type of thing so much has effected the industry so much that dive shops are exploring different methods and techniques such as this one.

I have no idea how much research you've done on this, or how long you've been diving but based on what I know, I'd say it's a "reaping of what you sow" by the Dive Shops as much as by consumers. There is guilt enough for both sides of this argument.

Dive shops have for a very long time had a minor monopoly and overcharged customers and now they are reaping the rewards of that. There are plenty of thriving shops that are getting along just fine even in this economy. Blaming the consumer for trying on at your store and then buying online at 10-50% lower prices is just poor business acumen. Yes, it's very difficult to keep inventory up to date and have good selection as a small shop. That doesn't mean it's reasonable to gouge your customer. The shops that understand this are doing just fine with repeat business even against internet competition.

On the flip side, there will always be douche-bag customers who have no respect for what it takes to maintain a brick and mortar shop space and use LDSes as fitting rooms. Again, shops that understand this are doing just fine with repeat business even against internet competition. The key for a shop owner is to make a difference the customer cares about more than price while not overcharging for retail items.

... I find it interesting that the state of divers and how they do this type of thing so much has effected the industry so much that dive shops are exploring different methods and techniques such as this one.

I find it interesting that anyone can blame the internet for a LDS's bad business model all while using the internet on a SCUBA forum. Again, the irony is lost.

I would love for the LDS's to start charging to try on gear. Why not. Let's see how that works out for them. My guess is it's just plain stupid and will result in them reaping what they sow as you said. And again, I want the LDS's to survive and thrive but this new tactic is tantamount to ignoring the call to evolve in more positive ways. Show of hands, dive shop employees and owners not allowed this time, how many will pay to try on clothes in a store??? Anyone?????????

Point well taken. My idea not a good one. I also have no problem with the $25 charge mentioned by the OP since the shop told her ahead of time that was the deal. But there has to be a solution. I would not pay anything to try on a wetsuit--and as an honest customer I also wouldn't care what problems other jerks were causing the LDS. I don't imagine there are many LDSs that charge to try on a wetsuit because I imagine most folks are like me and would exit quickly.

If you won't pay it and would leave then you do have a problem with the charge or at least the LDS has a problem. :wink:

...Either they come in informed too well about the product or go on their phone to see what it costs online as they try on in the store.Sometimes they outright tell you they are planning to get product online.At that point I would tell them that we are not a fitting room.Once a customer tried on a suit they told me they were getting it online for something like $20 less.did not want to hear about what we can offer to meet the online price..they then forgot what size fit them, she actually wanted me to write it down.I told her it was a 8 when she was barely able to squeeze into a 10, she really needed a 12..to be a fly on the wall when she got hers delivered and she tried to get into that size 8..too funny..

Yet another example of excellent customer service and taking the high road from a LDS. God forbid a customer comes in informed and wanting a competitive price. It was nice that you offered to match the price after you realized "what she was up to." Too bad you didn't get MSRP. Sure, she was a stinker I agree 100% but I suggest you try this next time as it seems to be working for them very well...

From my days working in an LDS, I find this to be completely stupid. We had plenty of instances where people actually told us they just wanted to check sizes before ordering online. We helped them just the same as if they handed over $10k upon entering. After the great service, seeing they would only be saving maybe 10% (which we usually ate if doing a package deal) and realizing that they NEEDED the LDS eventually, 99% bought in store. Had we treated EVERY potential customer like they were trying to rip us off, they would have just gone elsewhere.

Now, as an LP employee, vladimir is right, just order two and send one back :wink: (PFF Guaranty Program Information | LeisurePro.com)

Actually a diver has you beat, he just made a thread to borrow the dive gear, and people loaned it to him. I am done buying gear I am just gonna borrow from SB members and find out what I like and my sizes, then ask For what i want.

I loan out lots of gear ... particularly to students who want to try out something different than what they're currently using. If they like it, I then tell them where they can buy it. Sometimes that's online ... most times it's one of a handful of local dive shops I enjoy dealing with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We have 2 dive shops here localy. I went to the one I associate with most looking for a full bodied rash guard and I tried a couple of them on. Both were actually too small and it was all he had in stock. Now why would I pay 25 dollars and not walk away with any thing because he did not have my size? The second store had what I was looking for in my size and was extremely affordable so I bought it on sight. He would have missed the sale if I would have had to walk away due to a 25 dollar shoppers penalty?

I support my LDS when its economical but by penalizing me 25 dollars on top of over inflated prices does not change my mind about wanting to shop online.

I have an update! I just found out that not only does the Aquatic Center of Rochester charge $25 to try on a wetsuit, but they also charge $50 if you'd like to try on a drysuit. I asked if it was refundable or credited toward a purchase of either and they said "Yes. As long as you buy a wetsuit or drysuit from us within 24 hours." OMG I can't understand how they're still in business.

On a brighter note, I called Pisces , the alternate LDS. I inquired about any charges that applied toward trying things on. He laughed and said, "Trying things on is free. Why would we charge to try things on?" I told him about the Aquatic Center and he said, "They're crazy. That place is full retail. We do our best to actually compete with internet prices."

When it's time to visit the LDS, guess which one I'll go to?

It's entirely possible to try on every wetsuit a shop carries and have none of them fit ... wetsuit sizes are all over the place. Then what? You pay your $25 and nothing fits, and you don't buy a wetsuit. Now whose $25 is it?

Conversely, there's a great online (and also brick-and-mortar) dive shop which shall remain unnamed (rhymes with "tuba boys" and is near Dallas, TX) which will provide me and/or my wife with a box full of wetsuits, charged to my credit card, but with free shipping, for me to try on in my own home. If one fits, the rest go back, shipped at my cost, and my card is credited with the returns. Given their prices, I come out ahead, and I haven't committed the sin of trying on suits at my LDS and buying online. If the first box doesn't get me a winner (hasn't happened yet), I can order round two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom