LDS Charging to TRY ON wetsuits???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This move seems understandable from the LDS' point of view, if a bit desperate. Would be interesting to see what happens.

:popcorn:

Most LDS make there money on courses and use the merchandise to just add on to profits ...

... in my experience, it's worked the other way around ... dive shops use underpriced classes to draw in customers to whom they sell overpriced equipment.

A typical dive shop will make more on the sale of a BCD or regulator than they will on the sale of an OW class ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why don't LDS's make money on BOTH classes and merchandise? (and trips and service?) The LDS I worked for previously did. It can be done, in small and large markets. Maybe this will be easier once the hobbiests get out of the industry and it's run by actual business people.

From all the posts I've seen, it seems that at least one thing is clear, and virtually everyone agrees on it: Trying on a wetsuit with no intention of possibly buying it there is unethical, tacky, etc.

That said, let's look at how a much bigger industry deals with the problem -- car sales. How many dealers do you know that charge to let you test drive a car? How do you think that dealer would do if they did charge? Cars have an odometer that reveals that others have test-driven your car, and you don't hear them complaining about it. And how many people test drive a car at dealer A, and then search their entire acceptable geographical area for the best deal at dealers B, C, and D as well? Nobody wants to pay a nonrefundable fee just to see if they like a product. Even if the fee was refundable if a purchase was made, most customers realize that the sunk cost puts them at a disadvantage when they begin to negotiate price. I don't think many customers even want to start the discussion when they don't feel they're on equal footing to begin with.

With this example, it seems the only way the $25 fee would work is if it's in a shop with absolutely rigid pricing, where the pricing was within $25 of the online price. My guess is those shops are few and far between.

Of course, the only way we'll know if it works is to get pre- and post-policy numbers for wetsuit sales for dealers who have tried it. Any willing to chime in with data?

I had to leave this thread because my wife disagreed with what I wrote and she can, sometimes, be a total biyoch. She banned me from posting on this thread. Being the man that I am, i'm sneaking around behind her back.

Anyway, I just want to say, again, that I think that trying on suits with the intent of shopping online is a d-bag thing to do.

Phil

Kapow! Was that a tank blow out? Nope, just another LDS shooting themself in the foot. Brillant...let's charge to try on gear...losers. Say, can I handle that gun or bow I want to buy? Only for $25. Sale lost regardless! Yeah, these fools risk buyers trying stuff on and buying elsewhere...so does EVERY other industry. LDSs have been pushing customers away with their price gouging for years and this is the solution some are using? Instead of nickel-diming the dive community how about price matching? Rent too high? Move, not my problem. You wanted a "recreational" business, now run it like a business or go out of business! It's called competition. Deal with it. Or do it your way and keep driving divers to the internet or other reasonable LDSs.

I had to leave this thread because my wife disagreed with what I wrote and she can, sometimes, be a total biyoch. She banned me from posting on this thread. Being the man that I am, i'm sneaking around behind her back.

Anyway, I just want to say, again, that I think that trying on suits with the intent of shopping online is a d-bag thing to do.

Phil

She "banned" you from speaking your mind? OUCH. Good luck on your marriage, bro.
:wink:

Kapow! Was that a tank blow out? Nope, just another LDS shooting themself in the foot. Brillant...let's charge to try on gear...losers. Say, can I handle that gun or bow I want to buy? Only for $25. Sale lost regardless! Yeah, these fools risk buyers trying stuff on and buying elsewhere...so does EVERY other industry. LDSs have been pushing customers away with their price gouging for years and this is the solution some are using? Instead of nickel-diming the dive community how about price matching? Rent too high? Move, not my problem. You wanted a "recreational" business, now run it like a business or go out of business! It's called competition. Deal with it. Or do it your way and keep driving divers to the internet or other reasonable LDSs.

Things are not quite that easy. They never are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom