LDS Closures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to an article I read yesterday, what you're really dealing with here is a shift in lifestyle away from all outdoor activities ... As video games replace outdoor activity, interest in nature could decline - BostonHerald.com

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So true, on my street there are several famlies that have small children. You never see them outside playing. I talk to their parents and they say they can't get them outside all they want to do is watch TV or play video games. One parent recently bought an RV and he was complaining that it had a CD-DVD player in it and that when the go camping the kids wouldn't want to go outside, all they want to do is watch DVD's.
When I was young you went outside in the morning and came back in when the streetlights came on. A lot of the younger adults are as bad as the children.

I know I'm going to sound prejudiced (and I am), but I'm seeing a lot of morbidly obese children in the ER these days, and articles are being written about that phenomenon. As I was trying to manage about 200 pounds of gear yesterday, I thought about what it would have been like had there been another hundred pounds of ME, and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be there :)

I dive largely because there is a big, brightly lit, clean and attractive dive shop not far from my house. When we contemplated taking a course, we went in there and were met by friendly, unhurried people, who answered our questions and who had a class starting right away. When we bought our gear, we had a lot of inventory in the shop to look at, try on, and play with. Needless to say, that experience is repeated again and again, and the shop is quite successful, as dive shops go.

On the other hand, the shop I now patronize offers far more services (banked Nitrox, mix for the tech divers) and treats its established divers far better. There's no guilt-tripping (or very little) about buying some gear on line or elsewhere, and they're more than willing to look into or order anything for me that I can't buy on line. But I worry about them, because if I had walked into the shop when I was a brand new wannabe diver, I'm not sure I would have signed up for a class there. They don't have much inventory in the store, it doesn't have stained glass panels of tropical fish, everything looks comparatively old and worn. And I am quite sure you can't sustain a dive shop on the tech divers in the community.

What's sad is not that dive shops close, but that sometimes it's not the ones that should.

So true, on my street there are several famlies that have small children. You never see them outside playing. I talk to their parents and they say they can't get them outside all they want to do is watch TV or play video games. One parent recently bought an RV and he was complaining that it had a CD-DVD player in it and that when the go camping the kids wouldn't want to go outside, all they want to do is watch DVD's.
When I was young you went outside in the morning and came back in when the streetlights came on. A lot of the younger adults are as bad as the children.
We are slowly moving off topic, but the observation is quite valid and is part of the overall problem.

I too grew up in small town rural settings where we went outside early and came back home and/or inside before it got too dark. But times have changed and at the same time so has the diagnoisis of ADD and ADHD in children in the US.

I noted when working with kids in foster care, that the first thing that a teacher or foster parent did when confronted with an active child was ask that they be put on Ritalin. My thoughts are that 20-30 years ealier when I was a kid, parents and teachers addressed that by taking kids out side to run off the energy. Teachers in particular also recognized normal attendtion spans and related butt limits and structured classes accordingly. Now, block scheduling with periods perhaps 90 minutes long are much more common with not surprisingly a much larger percentage of kids who cannot sit through, attend, or be productive through the whole period.

In the US, where we like simple soultions and magic pills, Ritalin or Stratera seem to be the preferred solutions. Consequently the US consumes 90% of the world's production of ADD/ADHD meds.

In contrast in Japan where ADD/ADHD is sreened for at an early age and is regarded as condition that can be addressed environmentally and behaviorally, the use of drugs is virtually unheard of as are children with ADD/ADHD.

In effect in the US we have experienced some major changes in how we recreate and how our children view recreation and outdoor activities and I may be showing my age, but I don't think the trend is a good one.

In fairness, some areas offer very little outdoor opportunities. In addition to diving, I like flying and shooting and in a less populated area where I lived during my formative years in my teens and 20's, places to do all of them were no more than 10-15 minutes away and the shooting and flying were at time a 5 minute walk. Where I live now, any of the three involve serious logistics, planning and travel. If I were raising kids now, their recreational opportunites would consequently be dramatically different than mine.

So from an LDS/scuba industry perspective, long term viability and growth of the sport may hinge on greater exposure in schools, rec programs, discover scuba activities and in greater development of interesting local dive opportunities and more importantly activities and opportunities at those locations that will interst teens and young adults enough to get them off the couch and/or away from the computer.

We are slowly moving off topic, but the observation is quite valid and is part of the overall problem. .

Just because you were digging for gold doesn't mean you should throw the diamonds away.:D

But I have gotten the impression that none of the respondents have had to make significant changes to their diving activities because an LDS has closed. Perhaps the answer to "what will you do when your LDS closes?" is that we will adjust and get by without them.

I dive as there's a spring not far from my house. The ocean is close. Dive shops may close, but the ocean is still open.

DA, we had a scuba club for high schoolers here. It was non-profit and affiliated with the Boy Scouts. There was considerable student interest. It worked until the leader-instructor got injured and could not dive. Hopefully he will try it again. Otherwise, it is kind of like hunting. If mom or dad does not participate, a young person probably won't, either.

Anyway, I miss having $4 nitrox fills close to my house. The amount of diving I do has not changed.

But I have gotten the impression that none of the respondents have had to make significant changes to their diving activities because an LDS has closed. Perhaps the answer to "what will you do when your LDS closes?" is that we will adjust and get by without them.
I think that is true for the divers for which diving is a passion or a way of life. They will go to great lenghts to find a way to dive, as they simply want to continue diving and make it a priority.

For the divers who are only more or less drive by and try it divers, they'll drive on to something else if their brief experience with diving does not ingite a passion for diving.

For the divers who are only more or less drive by and try it divers, they'll drive on to something else if their brief experience with diving does not ingite a passion for diving.

That is what has been happening for the last while. Some folks see a local store and they park and walk in. They get the buy it here or you will die story or some tech talk when all they want is some info about diving. No wonder many of the local stores go out these days. More to come it seems.

The local stores where I live and where I travel, most are pretty sad. I do get to NYC and Leisure Pro several times a year and I made one visit to the scuba.com store in California. I have not yet been to Dallas to see scubatoys. but all three of these retailers seem to offer way more in selection and service and pricing.

Where to start? LDS: ok here in my DESERT hometown I have lived with a single/parttime dive shop attached to a carpet shop whose wife had all the welcoming of an ice storm, to the point I was thinking about driving 45 miles to the next town to get anything done. Then Last year a new shop opened up, I thought HOORAY!!! competition will make em better....Well the new shop is also for bike and climbing, no big deal, but then they hired a group of kids who know ZIP nadda about diving, its been 7 months and they still do not have the website up and running, and its 25 miles across town from my home and after 4 times to try and get a frameless mask, with NO help from the clerk( I settled for a TUSA that , while its ok, it aint what I was looking for, BTW found a 14.99 onsale online mask that fits and works much better), and While I was hoping for a better deal and would pay for it, it is just easier to go online, book my travel( 4-5 times a year for 3-7 days at a time, so a travel agent with a dive shop attached would also work for me...I meantioned it several times, they have my address but have not once followed up with a letter or call), buy some gear, sell some gear, get evaluations etc.

Ever time I look at this board, there is someone flaming the agencies about their "lax instruction" and how they should make all new divers run 4 miles with 55 lbs of gear on their back in 34 minutes or less and be able to navigate in 20 knot surges in the Arctic before they let them have a OW cert.Or how stupid/Lazy some newby is for asking a question...Very welcoming!!

I am a Land hunter, that is I hunt on Land, The Enviros ran anyone that is not on the peak of their game off the wilderness areas by closing old logging roads, tearing down bridges, crossings and generally making it harder to get "out there". then the same Enviro wackos were complaining the folks were not taking in the nature walks or visits they used to and try to blame it on video games....

We need more divers, even if they damge coral(Radical I know!) because once they have been down there, they will work to keep the trash out of the ocean, protect the sharks, stop over fishing, and in general try to make the Oceans better, even if it means losing a few coral reefs in the process. As it now stands, the fewer divers, means the fewer advocates for the Oceans....

No LDS, sorry thats almost the world I live in....

If we were to design the ideal dive shop what would it be?
What would be essential, what would be desired, what would be cool but unnecessary?
Is it different for everyone or is there a consensus of opinion?

Back
Top Bottom