LDS Incompetence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Latitude 59

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
They say use LDS....Signed up 2 years ago for Drysuit class, drove 4 hours to LDS, get there and instructor sick but they neglected to notify me (out cost of 2 hotel nights). OK, tried again this weekend, signed up for class, had confirmed in writing in advance proper size drysuit, undergarments, yes, they had drygloves, etc etc. Got a call 5 minutes before driving 4 hours again class was cancelled as they had "lost the pool". (How you lose pool time when about 10 in area you can use is beyond me). I had already paid hotel online again and informed them of this. They said "Oh, well....call so and so, or so and so instructors and see if they can do it". I told them it would be better if THEY called their instructors, figured it out and then let me know. Get a call back 15 minutes later, yup, class is on again.

Arrived at shop to grab tanks, try on gear and they "didn't have gear" I had requested and reserved in writing in advance. Some newbie instructor handed me a 3mm hood and 3mm wet gloves for diving 35-40 degree water. I informed him Alaska is not the same as Hawaii but he missed connotation. Wrong size undergarment. Had to "ask" for weights. Red flags going off all over the place but trying to stay congenial and not bite someone. Neck seal strangulating, they didn't want to trim neck seal. I finally got them to try (took off a trillionith of a nanometer), still tight but thought I had better jump in the pool and try it out before pushing issue.

Met "my" instructor at pool (different guy), no class stuff first which I thought was weird, although I know not much to it. Threw on gear, jumped in and still felt strangulated, like a boa was closing in fast. Told this instructor seal too tight but never offered to resize. Did all the skills stuff no problem but got sick, face red as a beet, felt like I strangling even though reg breathing fine. Jumped out of suit before I passed out. So much for that.

Told this instructor I had reserved equipment and it was not provided, had requested dry gloves, told him about hood. Weight belt they had provided did not fit (no harness available). Also about them telling me day before pool wasn't available and then 15 minutes later it was. He said that I had been given a line of BS because they had pool all the time as he also had an OW class in shallow end (At the same time of his drysuit class in the deep end). Hmmm...anyone getting a drift here. He also said he knew shop had right size undergarment and didn't know why it wasn't provided to me. (Now I am really getting ticked).

I stripped out of my gear, said I would not be risking my life doing open water dives with ill fitting gerry rigged gear with neck seal that didn't fit properly. It was so tight I was close to throwing up. I know they didn't want to trim it as then "might" not fit next rental customer. Was thinking of buying full drysuit package if I liked gear. Going to have little "chat" with dive shop owner as someone with less experience is going to get killed going along with this ------!

Heading down to Florida later and will go talk to some cave divers who know all about drysuits and can hopefully help me get me drysuit certified without trying to give me a line of BS and kill me off with ill fitting gear. Third time the charm hopefully. There are no DUI dog days or other drysuit try out days here, unfortunately.

Don't even talk to me about using LDS......Cost me a whole bunch of money and nothing to show for it!

I do understand your frustration and it would seem its not like it was just one issue and you are unreasonably complaining about it. That sucks big time. I would have been off my nut by now. Just missing the first class and being out of pocket for 2 nights would have done it for me.

Why do you need a "certification" for drysuit anyways? If you own your own I don't understand. If you rent then I do understand. Diving a drysuit is really no big deal. I either dive, coveralls or drysuit. I think I have a wetsuit somewhere. You can purchase one new, or find one used for a great price. Get your own and find a mentor. That experience sounds like you would not have been taught what you really need to know anyways. Get your own and dive, dive, dive it. Learn to dive it like a wetsuit. Use enough gas to relieve the squeeze and stay warm, then use your BC for buoyancy and trim. Mark

Yes I agree, that's what I did and don't regret it. I just got some good advice from people and read up on it. Main points are to practice the "get out of feet up" situation, and the use of minimal air to prevent squeeze, making sure you dump as required on the way back up. Once you practice it and its second nature, not a real issue. I would only suggest a course if you are not a confident diver, or a new diver perhaps.

I don't own a drysuit yet, wanted to rent first, see which brand I might fancy and don't have any friends up here who drysuit dive to just rent suit and jump in with. I don't know sites and we've got some gnarly tides so would like to use some common sense and caution. Some shops won't rent gear without card. So thought, just take the ---- class, check it out, see if I liked the cold water part etc. What my post was about was LDS incompetence with a customer/student. Yes, this polar bear is ticked about time/money wasted, not once but twice for travel, hotel, this time cost of class, rental gear etc. and still nothing to show for it. Pool skills nothing to it, just couldn't handle boa constrictor strangulation. You can be very sure I will not be purchasing drysuit from LDS!!!

A neck seal that is too tight can be dangerous. You were right to call an end to that moronic effort. And you are right to talk to the owner.

You're also a gentleman for not naming it. ;-)

Well, just wanted to say spoke with owner of shop who admitted they had a newbie instructor the day I came in to get gear (no kidding). Tried to tell me they got a different version of events from instructor but I offered to send a copy of all e-mail communication prior to booking class where my gear requests were spelled out and shop employee had stated they were available and they decided that wouldn't be necessary and would send a partial reimbursement check. Had I not had evidence, it might have turned out differently, who knows.

Eventually, at the end there was an apology, but slow in coming.

I dive to have fun. It's no fun with a boa constrictor around your neck and too small undergarment to swim in! I'll get certified, but safety comes first, even if the instructors or shop don't think so!

Well, if you want to come down to Seattle, I know a shop that teaches in DUI suits with Zipseals, so they can run through and find the right size for you, and a shop that teaches in Fusions with the SiTech ring system, so they can easily provide a seal that fits.

I understand the economics of not wanting to trim seals to where they won't fit smaller clients, but as someone who is in the throes of breaking in a new neck seal that is uncomfortably tight, I also understand that it can be the last straw of stress for someone who is trying to cope with new equipment and new procedures. No shop should send a student into the water in a dry suit with seals that are either too loose and leak, or too tight and cause major discomfort.

Soooooo... Let me see if I understand,..... Because 1 dive shop does not offer good customer service, they all do not? That makes total sense (not). Yes, you had a very bad experience & were not treated right,.... but that does not make all LDS's bad guys. Beleive it or not, there are some that DO give good customer service & treat their people well. If 1 LDS does not meet your needs, there are always others that can.

Soooooo... Let me see if I understand,..... Because 1 dive shop does not offer good customer service, they all do not? That makes total sense (not). Yes, you had a very bad experience & were not treated right,.... but that does not make all LDS's bad guys. Beleive it or not, there are some that DO give good customer service & treat their people well. If 1 LDS does not meet your needs, there are always others that can.

That's a good point, but I would note that if the OP had to drive 4 hours to get to a dive shop, there might not be as many options as if he was living in the Florida Keys!

Zip seals would be the way to go for any shop doing a lot of dry suit training.

Spd 135:
Why do you need a "certification" for drysuit anyways?... Get your own and find a mentor.

Why do you need "certification" for diving? Plenty of the old timers here learned how to dive in just that way, by finding a buddy who showed them the ropes.

I guess there are shortcuts for very experienced divers with mentors willing to act as instructors without getting paid or being trained to teach, but I would be careful about that. It's not unheard of for a dry suit to be implicated in an accident, especially with new users....

Back
Top Bottom