LDS Package Discount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not go in to a shop and try on different things for comfort and fit get the info and then say thanks I'm going to get it online. I had 2 customers do this to me before, one I found out after I showed them all the gear and the other kept saying well I found this online for this much and this for this much. I wasted hours on these people and they got all the right sizes and info then bought it somewhere else. The second person though was not comparing apples to apples and I could not meet the prices of the junk they wanted online.

Do not go in to a shop and try on different things for comfort and fit get the info and then say thanks I'm going to get it online. I had 2 customers do this to me before, one I found out after I showed them all the gear and the other kept saying well I found this online for this much and this for this much. I wasted hours on these people and they got all the right sizes and info then bought it somewhere else. The second person though was not comparing apples to apples and I could not meet the prices of the junk they wanted online.

Would you rather not even have the opportunity to be competitive and make the sale?

As a customer, I have no problem going into a store that deals with price negotiable goods, examining their gear in the showroom (maybe even a test drive), exchanging information, and then asking for their best deal. If you would rather not even bother with customers like me, you should put up a sign that your prices are not negotiable. Somehow, I don't think that would produce the results you would like.

Any LDS that understand the Internet economy will match, or at least come close to the major on-line retailers. I have purchased much gear this past year and all of the major purchases were made at the LDS. Sometimes I didn't even need to ask, their price was exactly the same as the on-line shops. For certain brands (ScubaPro), the dealer CAN drop the price. The agreement they have if for minimum ADVERTISED price, not the price they actually sell it.

Do shop around and if they don't work with you on the price or something real, say you are sorry and move on. Pool time should be offered anyway for you to get a feel for the gear. So should any assembly of the gear.

Be honest with the shop. IMHO if they stick with the list price on the gear, they probably won't be around for long to support you anyway. Same thing if they starting talking about the "gray market." A good shop is worth a little extra travel.

Good luck!

Would you rather not even have the opportunity to be competitive and make the sale?

As a customer, I have no problem going into a store that deals with price negotiable goods, examining their gear in the showroom (maybe even a test drive), exchanging information, and then asking for their best deal. If you would rather not even bother with customers like me, you should put up a sign that your prices are not negotiable. Somehow, I don't think that would produce the results you would like.

Like I said the one person was not comparing the same gear and the other person just looked at sticker price and compared off of that. I told them I would do what I could and I also stated that some of the gear and places he was buying from was not a authorized dealer as well. That person had no intention on buying from me just wanted to try the gear on. This is also another reason some online places have lower prices they are not paying people to work in a store to supply info. Most online stores can be run by 1 or 2 people.

I don't know that this is a fair scenario. If you walked into a car dealership and said "I want to test drive a car so I can order one through another dealer," you probably wouldn't be greeted with open arms. There is an understanding that when you, a customer, walk into a store, there is a possibility that you will buy from that store. If the customer walked in with a sign that said "I will only buy online," he or she wouldn't get the results they would like. Obviously shopping around is reasonable. Using the LDS as a fitting location so you can drive home and buy online is beyond the scope of "good customer service" on the LDS's part. If a customer doesn't even give a LDS a chance, the customer can't bitch about their prices or assume the prices are non-negotiable. If the customer gives the LDS shop a chance and the shop elects to not work with the customer, then the customer has the right to buy elsewhere.

Like I said the one person was not comparing the same gear and the other person just looked at sticker price and compared off of that. I told them I would do what I could and I also stated that some of the gear and places he was buying from was not a authorized dealer as well. That person had no intention on buying from me just wanted to try the gear on. This is also another reason some online places have lower prices they are not paying people to work in a store to supply info. Most online stores can be run by 1 or 2 people.

So, you believe that had you said you would match the online dealer's price, the customer wouild have walked anyway?

Even the guy who was looking for different gear, he gave you the opportunity to sell him on your lines, but it didn't work out. Maybe he really wanted oranges or maybe the oranges were better in his judgment.

I don't know that this is a fair scenario. If you walked into a car dealership and said "I want to test drive a car so I can order one through another dealer," you probably wouldn't be greeted with open arms. There is an understanding that when you, a customer, walk into a store, there is a possibility that you will buy from that store. If the customer walked in with a sign that said "I will only buy online," he or she wouldn't get the results they would like. Obviously shopping around is reasonable. Using the LDS as a fitting location so you can drive home and buy online is beyond the scope of "good customer service" on the LDS's part. If a customer doesn't even give a LDS a chance, the customer can't bitch about their prices or assume the prices are non-negotiable. If the customer gives the LDS shop a chance and the shop elects to not work with the customer, then the customer has the right to buy elsewhere.

A customer is giving an LDS a chance when they walk into the shop. Unfortunately, many LDSs are focused on selling the customer their higher prices than on on making themselves the best buy.

Okay- here is the update - I have gear!!

The shop came down on the BC and the computer but said the reg couldn't be discounted. They also threw in a reg bag, a computer bag, a dive log, a computer class, 6 months of Saturday pool dives with air so I'm happy. The price ended up being within $200 of online and I feel that with the dives thrown in that more than covers the extra price- plus I have a relationship with the LDS that is stronger. When I went in today I got in the pool and tried like 4 different BCs and two different regs. They were super helpful.

As to the post about people coming in and trying stuff just to go buy it online - I can't begin to tell you how opposed to that I am. In college I managed the tack shop (horse stuff) and we often had the same problem. It is one of the rudest things someone can do, but believe me when they needed a favor or something went wrong with their internet gear- we were not there to help -you may pay a little more locally but the service you get should more than make up for it.

I'm excited that now on the dive next Saturday I'll have my own stuff. Yea!

Thanks for everyone's help

Lauren

Good luck and good diving Lauren - looks like everything worked out how you wanted.

As to the post about people coming in and trying stuff just to go buy it online - I can't begin to tell you how opposed to that I am. In college I managed the tack shop (horse stuff) and we often had the same problem. It is one of the rudest things someone can do, .but believe me when they needed a favor or something went wrong with their internet gear- we were not there to help -you may pay a little more locally but the service you get should more than make up for it.
/QUOTE]

I glad you found a satisfactory deal. It is better when you can find that at an LDS.

But it sounds to me like the tack shop you worked with is as stupid as some LDSs. To punish a customer who purchased online, you denied him service. So you lose the sale, then lose his service business. And you lose that customer and perhaps others that might listen to him. DUMB :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom