LDS sell ScubaPRO..need help choosing the right equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the MK25 is OK for colder but not as good as the 17 with the cold water package.

Yes you can inflate/deflate and breath at the same time with the Air2. Manual inflate is the same as any inflator.

ams511:
Hoosier,

How is the Air2 in cold water?

All Air2 (and I suspect other integrated octos) employ a rather heavy metal housing that contains the orifice and poppet. This allows a better heat exchange than plastic resulting in less of a tendency to for ice.

However, if you are going to try breathing and dumping air at the same time, try not to inhale when the manual button is pressed or you will be inhaling the gas dumped from the BC. Just time your breathing so you are not dumping and inhaling at the same time.

Dived the MK25 on numerous occasions to temps as low as 6 C with no problems. But as per previous posts the MK17 is a better option in extremely cold water.

In water under 40F, the MK25 has had MANY reports of freeze-ups. Do a search and you'll find dozens of posts. While a few people have used them successfully in cold waters, it is not considered a good choice if you're planning on diving waters under 40F with any regularity due to the risk. The MK17, and other environmentally sealed regs, do not have this concern.

If you were diving mostly warmer (relatively speaking... meaning above 40F) waters and planned to try out cold water diving once in a blue moon, you might get away with the MK25. But since your stated plan is to dive very cold water on a regular basis I strongly recommend against the MK25.

As a pure cold water diver myself...I can tell you from my experience is get tough gear. stuff that is made for cold water diving.

having said that.

Look for a balanced reg. Environmentally sealed is very important. The MK 17 and the X650, and the r295 octopus, great regs for cold water diving.

Personally I would avoid any Inflator hose octopus combinations...

The Knight hawk is a nice BC

NOW...have you looked into other manufactures?

My regs are Mares Abyss. I use this reg set in extreme cold water...under the ice with no worries. I also dive with a backplate and wing. Very adjustable. I also have two sets of fins, One is Mares Quatros for wetsuit diving and the other is the OMS slipstream for drysuit diving. both with spring heels. The other thing to consider is your exposure suit. I dive Henderson Gold core 7mm and of course a BARE CD4 pro dry crushed neoprean drysuit with Skaana drygloves. Along with the right undergarments for various temperatures.

If your LDS only carries two brands or so...I would ask if they can order stuff for you. Some web based sellers have really good prices.

The rest of the gear will boil down to what true type of diving you will be doing. The best advice I can offer is. Try everything on to make sure it fits RIGHT. Poor fitted gear makes for a crappy dive.

BUT Shop around before you buy anything. Especally if you can try things on.

If you do have any more questions..PM me..be more than happy to help.

Stephen

Thank you for an advice. I will definitely check for other LDS, because I was a bit disappointed to see only one brand in the store. Re: try before buy it, I think I will be able to try it in the pool, but only the stuff they have on hand and of course they not going to open a new package for me…most likely it will be rentals. Thank you again.

CompuDude:
For buoyancy control in cold water I would seriously look at a backplate and wing (bp/w), which is similar to a back-inflate BC but even less cluttered in front, and offers a ton of other benefits. Check out DeepSeaSupply.com and give them a call to discuss your needs and they can explain some of the benefits.

If you're suggesting this fellow check out backplate rigs, I think it's worth also suggesting he check out Zeagle gear. DSS is good stuff, but having only had customer service experience with Zeagle, I can say they're great. Also great warranties.

Actually I was looking at Zeagle BCD. I can buy it online, but I am not feels like to ship it somewhere every year to get serviced. This is the reason why I want to go with LDS. I am a novice and all this is new to me. I am not feel safe to do anything (maintains) myself yet, even if I would be able to. Thanks, I will continue my research and I will try to cover couple more brands to have a good evaluation table.

Go to the lds and get the scubapro gear. You will have no problems with it. The KnightHawk is a great BC and the MK17/X650 is a great reg. No need to have the problems relating to gear you cannot find in your area (ie servicing, exchanging, warranties etc).

Also ScubaPro is one of the companies with great after sales service and can be found just about any where. So even if you move it is likely you will find a scubapro dealer somewhere nearby.

Most gear is great and for as many brands as there are you will find people who think the brand they have chosen is the best.

Zeagle BCDs are indeed great. Just as good as the ScubaPro, IMO. But here, SP wins because the OP can get local service. Zeagles are also pretty expensive, IMO. Worth it, arguably, but definitely cost more than the KnightHawk.

A bp/w, however, is more rugged than either and comes with a host of other benefits. Local service isn't really an issue since it's bulletproof; the only thing possibly needing service is the wing, and since they use standard inflators pretty much any LDS should be able to do a simple pressure check and service the inflator if needed. It's also cheaper than either the KnightHawk or any (new) Zeagle BC. I recommend chatting with Tobin at Deep Sea Supply before making any final decisions. It's a free phone call for some excellent advice, from someone far more knowledgeable than any of us. May end up with the SP BC anyway, but I honestly believe it's at least worth a phone call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom