LDS vs. Online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LDS business model has to change!

Most LDS offer 10% maybe 15% max off retail price. Most internet stores offer 30% to 40% off retail and sometimes as much as 50% on sale items.

You don't have to be cheap to be tempted by the difference. As a matter of fact you'd have to be a little stupid not too.

We're talking hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars difference here people. I know all divers arent rich, I'm sure not.

In a few years the LDS's that adapt will get stronger and the ones that don't will fail.

RICHinNC:
Just out of curiosity, why is it unethical to do that in an lds....but then do it in a car lot or walmart or anywhere else? Im always checking things out for the best deal. I might look at life support gear in the dive sport different than buying a car....but unethical ? A little harsh I think.

Money is getting tighter every day and the thought that all divers can afford expensive gear is ridiculous. I was in an lds last week and saw a small dive light for $21.95. I went to Dicks's... a multiple sport shop.....and saw the same exact same light for just $7.95. Come on people....if that is unethical for me to buy the light at a 2/3's savings...then so be it.

The dive industry needs to revamp how they do business or we will all be getting our air fills from the fire house like we used to.

My personal view point is that if someone goes into a shop (dive shop or any other) looks at prices and then compares elsewhere then fair enough. I feel it is different if you use any shop to get advice on what your requirements are then go elsewhere ie on the internet to get the same product cheaper.

As to the comparison with cars, again if I buy a car and want advice I'll go to a dealer I trust (yes trustworthy car dealers do exist!!) and get their advice and no I wouldnt consider taking their advice to buy the same model / type of car elsewhere.

Were not talking about lights here , more like something that the LDS sales staff has to spend there time on with you, maybe letting you try it out
Although It's ethical to test drive a car at one car dealership , and buy the same car somewhere else for a better deal
It's not ethical to "test drive" a BC at a LDS and then buy the same BC somewhere else for a better deal
and , not talking about buying a different BC that the LDS doesn't carry (and can not get) after trying on the ones that they do carry and finding you don't like any of them

DB

catchaser:
The LDS business model has to change!

Most LDS offer 10% maybe 15% max off retail price. Most internet stores offer 30% to 40% off retail and sometimes as much as 50% on sale items.

You don't have to be cheap to be tempted by the difference. As a matter of fact you'd have to be a little stupid not too.

We're talking hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars difference here people. I know all divers arent rich, I'm sure not.

In a few years the LDS's that adapt will get stronger and the ones that don't will fail.

and then we can log online for our air fills? Or maybe when we get equipment prob's we can chat to a service engineer who'll talk us through what needs to be done?

A thread on LDS vs Online? I can't wait to see where this goes!

Hey I dont want to hijack but, im thinking about a new BC. Whats yer thoughts on a backplate? Im going to be solo diving with it.

(sarcasm for those that missed it)

I don't think that most of us have our purchasing strategies quite so structured as some of the above comments would suggest. I can only speak from my experience and the experience of my buddies, but I think most of us are drawn to that red flag with the white diagonal wherever we see it, be it online or flying above the marina or strip mall. I, for one, visit every shop I can, trying to learn about gear, local dive sites, general diving knowledge, etc. And by visiting, I'm not limiting myself to physical brick-and-mortar stores. I visit lots of online shops, especially the ones with interesting content (Hi Larry. Love what you've done with ScubaToys in this respect.)

Along the way, I'm always cruising for deals. Sometimes they come from the deep discount dive shops like Diver's Supply here in Charlotte or World Watersports/Diver's Direct in Ft. Lauderdale. These guys are very aggressive about pricing and turn over their inventory enough to usually have the things I need at prices I can afford. Sometimes I find great deals online, and I almost always shop online to get a feel for pricing of big ticket items. More rarely, I shop for the odd item at smaller LDSs that serve specialty markets. Like Rich said, money is tight right now for most of us (Thanks, W!), and I don't have the luxury of tossing out dollars just because I'd like to see this or that shop successful.

The bottom line is that many LDSs aren't very efficient and many do not offer the sort of service and atmosphere that keeps customers coming back. Word to the wise for LDS owners - hard sell and intimidation might help you push today's sale, but they leave a bad taste in the consumer's mouth that influences the next buying decision. For example, we have one shop here in town that has a great selection of diving books. I hesitate to visit, because the owner is always pushing me to buy something other than what I came for, from alternate air sources to watches to any number of other little shiny items that have fat little margins. I've fallen for his approach a few times and always feel like a sucker the minute I walk out the door. I respect the guy's salesmanship but criticize his judgement. It's just too easy to get the same books from Borders or Amazon.com. And by sending me there, he's lost the impulse buys that I used to make there without his influence.

As for enforcing customer loyalty - the best way to do that is to offer friendly, informative service and decent (not necessarily rock-bottom) pricing. For what it's worth, I've bought all of my high ticket items from my LDS, even though I could have saved a few bucks by going online. I'm just waiting for somebody to exploit the LDS experience for what it really offers that is unique - a physical location for divers to cross paths. I'd love to see somebody dedicate a few square feet to a coffee bar, complete with lots of copies of throwaway dive publications, where folks could congregate and talk about diving. I'd sure make a detour once a week or so to grab a latte and see who was planning a weekend trip in my area...

If someone was to say go into a diveshop to try a wetsuit on for the express purpose of finding out the right size so they could go home and buy it online, that is unethical.

DORSETBOY:
and then we can log online for our air fills? Or maybe when we get equipment prob's we can chat to a service engineer who'll talk us through what needs to be done?

I was talking about the LDS's that adapt will get stronger. The ones that continue to do business like it's still 1985 will be the ones that fail, not all of them will. Where there is a demand there will be a supply. The consumer makes the market, not the supplier.

CJ-62:
Using a LDS for sizing and walking out without any intention of purchasing is unethical.

I used to think so too. Heck, I used to own a dive shop. However the manufacturers and agencies are making it hard on the dive shops and the dive shops are making it hard on themselves by doing the same dumb things they did the day before. Do what you did and you'll get what you got.

If I walk into a dive shop already knowing what I'm interested in and what I can get if for elsewhere (whether online or in another store) how is it that I owe the shop anything? They don't have a sign up that says try-ons with purchase only or anything.

I also don't feel obligated to tell them what every one else is charging or to stand there and hagle. Let them do their own market research. While I'm there they have an oportunity to convince me that they are offering the best bang for the buck. If they can't I'm not going to buy whether I try something on or not.

If all they have to offer is a few things to try on then maybe they should charge for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom