LDS won't viz my tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know. I am just concerned because the next closest LDS is an hour away. I am considering emailing him but I don't think it is worth my time.

It isn't hard to get certification to do tank VIP's and I bet there are a number of enthusiasts local to you who do it.

Try searching your local Craigslist for people selling tanks with current Visuals, or ask some local experienced divers, if you do a little digging you'll come up several names

FWIW a new tank shouldn't require a visual. It should have come with a sticker

The sad part is that I've seen dive shops where the owners are immature and have to always "win" a situation no matter what. Even if it is in the rudest, most childish way. Last year I found out after the fact that a small group of divers with their instructors were harassing a student of mine when she aborted a night dive due to EQ problems. When I brought it up via email and in a very professional manner, the responses I got sounded like they came from a snotty little 11 year old brat. Didn't bother to reply to the idiotic things the owner mentioned because she obviously lacked the mental capacity of an adult.

Hopefully this guy isn't like that, but as in scuba, I'm not holding my breath :rofl3:

Let us know how it goes!

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

I just looked up your location. Here in the States a lot of fire related business will do it because they service extinguishers. Try these:

@ JohnN- it is a new tank but because it was shipped I need to get a visual on it (was shipped without the valve on).

@ Todd. I will definitely give these guys a call. Don't think they can give me airfills though can they?

@ Todd. I will definitely give these guys a call. Don't think they can give me airfills though can they?

Sometimes. It just depends on the place. I've heard of a few fire departments that will fill for divers but it's rare. In a city of that size I would doubt it but it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm not really sure on Canada's regulations with regard to air fills but I guarantee those places will be able to answer such questions.

Good to know. I am just concerned because the next closest LDS is an hour away. I am considering emailing him but I don't think it is worth my time.
I don't consider an hour that far. Almost everywhere that I've lived, except where I am now, I've had to drive at least an hour to get to an LDS.
But, hope the other dive shop is better. Otherwise, you might end up getting a compressor, which could get expensive.
Your LDS has little local competition and it sounds like he's just bitter, plus he's a poor business man. We have one like that near us. My husband did all of his training all the way through instructor there. He's bought thousands in equipment through that shop over the years.
Last year, my husband asked for a 10% instructor's discount, which he's always gotten, on a small item, maybe a 30-40$ item. The owner said he stopped giving discounts to independent instructors.
We went to the other shop, where we'd never been before. We now get all our air fills free, %20 off most things and the at cost price on a lot of things.
We will certainly refer everybody we know, all students ( we don't rent gear) and we've purchased the few things that we needed.
The short-sight decision of the other dive shop owner has lost him years of business with us, serious professional divers with contacts to new divers in the community.

That's what confuses me about his decision. The other employees that I've talked to at the shop all seem reasonable. He even seemed fine until this. As for the other LDS, the owner is probably one of the most laid back I know. Rent tanks? Pick them up on Thursday and return them Sunday. Similar ideals with regs and bcd. When talking to him about why he does this he says he likes to keep diving more accessible, especially for younger people.

I was in my local dive shop doing visual inspections a few weekends ago. A customer brought in a new aluminum 40 cubic foot cylinder for a fill that he had purchased off of the internet. The hydro was from May, 2013. There was no VIP. I took the valve off to make sure there wasn't a cockroach or other varmint in there. The customer's great internet deal just got very expensive. There was about 2 inches of white condensate all over the sides and bottom and about 30 mold stars growing. Water, or some other liquid, must have gotten into the cylinder and then evaporated. I asked him if he could send it back where he got it but he said he could not. I asked him if he wanted me to clean it up so it would pass a VIP. He said yes. It cost him $100.00 for the cleaning, VIP and fill.

A LDS can either get angry and refuse service, thereby losing a customer, or work with the customer. My LDS kept a customer. He was not happy about the cost but he did not blame the LDS, he blamed himself.

The shop owner knows something you don't!!! This whole inter-webs thing is just a passing fad and when it is finally gone you will go back to his shop begging for his forgiveness. Until then I would try one more time (I hate driving) if he has the same attitude I would never go back again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom