LDS won't viz my tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Pedro - That's the only person he can blame. When a deal looks to good to be true then it usually is. You can tell on eBay when people don't know what they're talking about with equipment. Things like "obtained in an estate sale" are typically no-nos. Anyone who says, "LOOKS like it is in working condition but I can't test it so sold 'as is'" are also no-nos. Then sometimes people just get screwed, as in the case you just described. There is good equipment to be had out there at a good deal, you just have to pretend you are in Vegas and gambling. Don't be surprised if you lose the bet...

Last edited:
Sadly the LDS owner is likely blaming the wrong thing for what may be causing poor business results. This creates a spiral effect, he is annoyed you shopped on the internet then he takes it out on you, you tell others, or at least stop shopping there, his business gets worse he blames the Internet gets angrier and gets annoyed easier the next time someone comes in with an Internet purchase. Perfect example of what not to do if you want your business to grow. As a business owner, non-dive related, I look for opportunities to make a great impression. I find the best is when someone comes in with a problem created at a competitors and I fix it at no charge as a "professional courtesy out of respect for the other office". This demonstrates respect for the other professional and compassion for the client. I get a good reputation for fixing the problem, don't get labeled as money hungry or trying to profit off of someone's misfortune after all we are all in this together, and if the client is loyal to the original office I have generated goodwill with the other professional. If the client is not loyal to the other office chances are I have gained a new client, you can't buy that kind of advertising. You can advertise you are caring and professional all you want, no one believes it til you prove it. Here the LDS owner passed up a great opportunity to demonstrate the "we are all in this together" attitude that would have gained him a loyal customer and helped his shop grow. I hope they read this thread and gain a different perspective...

It cost him $100.00 for the cleaning, VIP and fill.

That sounds like highway robbery to me. A VIP and a fill is usually $20 so you charged $80 just to clean a piece of metal. That's twice what my LDS shows to do an O2 clean and I'm guessing you didn't even take it that far.

That sounds like highway robbery to me. A VIP and a fill is usually $20 so you charged $80 just to clean a piece of metal. That's twice what my LDS shows to do an O2 clean and I'm guessing you didn't even take it that far.

I figured I was going to get crap for stating prices! :D Welcome to the Washington, DC area where O2 cleaning costs $75, VIPs $25 and O-rings for valves during VIPs cost $5. The median family income of the person walking through the door is $143,000.

As for the LDS, he's cutting his nose to spite his face. Not enough business sense to be in business.

I figured I was going to get crap for stating prices! :D Welcome to the Washington, DC area where O2 cleaning costs $75, VIPs $25 and O-rings for valves during VIPs cost $5. The median family income of the person walking through the door is $143,000.

I used to live in Springfield, VA so I know what things cost. What someone earns isn't really relevant. So did you O2 clean the tank? Corrosion on an AL tank is self limiting and removing some foreign organic material shouldn't be that big of a deal. I would have done it myself. VIRGINIA SCUBA - Northern Virginia's and Meto DC most sought after Recreational and Technical Dive Shop says they charge $15 for an inspection and $10 for a light weight internal cleaning. So I still think the charges were excessive. Personally I suspect there was a tank import tax assessed.

Oh well, that's why I love Texas. I got to keep my east coast salary (and then some) and spend a lot less money. I do miss mid-atlantic wreck diving though. It's nice that my wife hasn't had to work in 10 years.

I have to be the Devil's Advocate here because you said what you did. I searched D.C. Dive Shops. The very first one I found:
National Diving Center, Washington, DC's Only Dive Shop also serving Maryland and Virginia - Service Rates

• Cylinder O2 cleaning $25

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 06:54 PM ----------

• Cylinder Visual Inspection $10

I try to buy a majority of my gear at my LDS. But, when an online BC for my daughter was on closeout it was too cheap to pass up so I bought it. It didn't have a cummerbund, and the LDS does carry the brand but not that specific BC. The owner's response to me when asking to add the cummerbund was, "sure, no problem." I don't see where the problem is for your LDS, even if you bought equipment online they are at least getting some business from you.

Take you business elsewhere. Don't look back. This LDS is not only ruining its own business but reinforcing the reason why folks buy on line. I puchased all new gear including a Steel HP100 from LP. OMS Plate and Wing, computer, 2 sets of regs, and the list goes on. I saved over 1K by shopping online and waiting for items to go on sale. I came clean with my LDS which is where I did my OW cert. The gentleman never gave me a hard time, said I had purhcased a nice tank, charged me only 25 for a Viz and Fill (gave me the best cold fill I have gotten anywhere in the area on my HP100) and was nothing but pleasant. For that reason I will be signing my son up next year for Junior PADI there and will probably futher my trianing there as well. As everyone said, the person in question in your case should sell the business and go work for someone else. Or perhaps hire someone else to work the front desk. He is not a savy businessman.

Back
Top Bottom