leaky SPG hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregor1234

Reaction score
I've got a leak in the SPG hose where the rubber part of the hose meets the metal fitting that screws into the 1st stage. Before I pull the thing out of its boot and start messing around with it, can someone please tell me;

1) whether the fitting-to-hose union can be renewed by the dive shop or will I just need to get a new hose.

2) how does the hose typically detach from the SPG

Thanks

You might be able to get a shop to cut the hose and then refit the fitting. However, most shops (around here at least) don't want to do that because a) the liability of it leaking again and b) they would rather sell you a new hose.

Can't answer your second question. I think that'd be computer dependent.

Its just a guage, not a computer. Is there not a standard way that these things attach to their hoses?

gregor1234:
I've got a leak in the SPG hose where the rubber part of the hose meets the metal fitting that screws into the 1st stage. Before I pull the thing out of its boot and start messing around with it, can someone please tell me;

1) whether the fitting-to-hose union can be renewed by the dive shop or will I just need to get a new hose.

Thanks

1) The best thing is to just get a new hose they are pretty cheap.

2) usually the SPG just screw at the end of the hose. If your Spg is in a boot you will need to remove the boot first.

gregor1234:

Thanks

Discontinue using the hose with the damage on it. These fittings are not replacable. They are machine crimped. Usually a hose with a leak is just replaced. They are inexpensive enough. To remove the gauge from the boot -- best to first soak the whole thing in very hot water or turn a hair blower on it to make the boot pliable -- bend it back and slide the gauge out of it -- then remove the gauge from the hose -- if its a metal gauge it will just require holding the gauge and putting a spanner on the hose nut. If it is a plastic gauge you will need a wrench on both the hose nut and the gauge nut so as to not break the gauge.

When you replace the hose you should replace the gauge stem as well.

A good LDS should do all of this for you at no charge - except for the hose. It takes all of 5 minutes. Or you can just order a hose and do it yourself.

Regards,

gregor1234:

Thanks

1) The hose needs to be replaced if it's leaking where you think it is. It may also be leaking from the swivel, in which case only the O-ring needs to be replaced.

2) There are two counter-rotating nuts where the spg attaches to the hose. Turn them and it will come off. REplacing the hose is a simple matter but it's a good idea to get someone to show you how the first time.

R..

I heard some good things so far ,for me I have had leaks simular , the best I can say and do is to take it down to my favorite dive shop . a Tech will look at it under pressure find the problem and will fix it or suggest I buy a new one . Reguardless you
can limit these problem by taking your 1st stage RIG , with all your hardware attached ready to dive into your local dive shop Tech for a annual check up . $65 or $75 to do
this service depending on your RIG. Dive Safe Mike

If the bubbles are coming out from under the boot... 9 out of 10 it's the little o-ring on the swivel spool, and not the hose. But when you take it out of the boot and stick it in the bathtub with some pressure, you'll know.

If it's just the o-ring - here's an article on how to fix it: http://scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/hpspool.asp

Can someone explain the purpose of the boot? Seems like just an impediment to knowing what's going on if you have an issue.

PerroneFord:
Can someone explain the purpose of the boot? Seems like just an impediment to knowing what's going on if you have an issue.

Give a little protection from banging on rocks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom